• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

586 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to CL or to CC and is this also because you never use a credit card or PayPal as your method of payment for your winnings?  hm

Both I guess. And yes, I don’t use a cc. 

On 5/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

Since we don't know if individual buyers end up paying the 3% BP on CL, I've revised the recent sales to remove CL BP.

Cap #1 CGC 0.5 (missing 4 center wraps) sold for $39,500 in total. ($79,000 per-point)

Cap #1 CGC 2.5 sold for $86,000. LINK ($34,400 per-point)

Batman #1 CGC 4.0 sold for $110,100. LINK ($27,525 per-point)

Batman #1 CGC 3.5 (slightly brittle PQ) sold for $83,000 in total. LINK ($23,714 per-point)

The entry-level market for Cap #1 is aggressive. I'm sure the same is true for Batman #1. How much do you feel a Batman #1 Universal 0.5, missing 4 center wraps, would go for today?

The last couple unrestored Batman 1 .5's, one missing a front cover and one a back cover sold for roughly $20K as I recall at auction. I think the copy missing the back sold a grand or two over and the copy missing the front sold for several grand less. So if we're assuming a copy is missing 4 wraps but still garnered a .5 meaning it likely has both the front and back cover such as the Cap 1, I would think around $20K-$25K makes sense hm.

Edited by LDarkseid1

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

The last couple unrestored Batman 1 .5's, one missing a front cover and one a back cover sold for roughly $20K as I recall at auction. I think the copy missing the back sold a grand or two over and the copy missing the front sold for several grand less. So if we're assuming a copy is missing 4 wraps but still garnered a .5 meaning it likely has both the front and back cover such as the Cap 1, I would think around $20K-$25K makes sense hm.

If a 0.5 Cap #1 missing 4 wraps is a $39,500 book, you’ve got to imagine a Batman #1 in comparable condition would be a $30,000+ book.

There are appear to be a lot more Batman #1’s out there, but it’s absolutely a hot book. Maybe just a cool-down period at the moment?

19 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If a 0.5 Cap #1 missing 4 wraps is a $39,500 book, you’ve got to imagine a Batman #1 in comparable condition would be a $30,000+ book.

There are appear to be a lot more Batman #1’s out there, but it’s absolutely a hot book. Maybe just a cool-down period at the moment?

Yeah I think Batman 1 in super low grade just sells for quite a bit less. You need to get to the 1.5 and up range for it to bump up. Here’s the one missing the front cover. Actually sold for less than $13K! Also keep in mind that .5 cap wasn’t an auction sale, but buy it now. I suspect it would sell for somewhat less at auction.

7CE88066-1FD5-42DD-95F7-31B526CC090F.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I think Batman 1 in super low grade just sells for quite a bit less. You need to get to the 1.5 and up range for it to bump up. Here’s the one missing the front cover. Actually sold for less than $13K! Also keep in mind that .5 cap wasn’t an auction sale, but buy it now. I suspect it would sell for somewhat less at auction.

There’s a 0.5 Blue Cap 1  on eBay that is more complete than the one discussed but worse pq. Buy it now 50k.  Only 4 on the cgc census at this entrance level 

Edited by Chicago Boy

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Missing front cover for either of these is a huge loss 

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

There’s a 0.5 Blue Cap 1  on eBay that is more complete than the one discussed but worse pq. Buy it now 50k.  Only 4 on the cgc census at this entrance level 

I can only imagine the slightly brittle page quality is the reason that copy hasn’t sold, considering what the other went for.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:12 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

:bump:with some recent sales.

Batman #1 CGC 4.0 sold for $110,100. LINK ($27,525 per-point)

Cap #1 CGC 2.5 sold for $88,580 with BP. LINK ($35,432 per-point)

Batman #1 CGC 3.5 (slightly brittle PQ) sold for $83,000 in total. LINK ($23,714 per-point)

Cap #1 CGC 0.5 (missing 4 center wraps) sold for $39,500 in total. ($79,000 per-point)

These books have gone back and fourth. Are we back to Cap #1 reigning supreme?

It will be interesting to see how the Cap #1 4.0 ending in tonight's CL auction will do vs. the Batman #1 4.0 listed above.

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Dont forget that Bat 1 has a tortured history.  It was PLOD, until it wasn't

That Batman #1 had vastly superior PQ and a Bob Kane inscription on the back.

I suspect a Cap #1 with similar history, would out-sell this Cap #1 if it had that much better PQ and a Kirby inscription.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

46 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

2938EE31-8538-42AC-B6B3-E12796CD6EFD.png

I thought the price might jump a bit at the end, but I guess you see that less with the higher ticket items...  unlike the Blue Bolt 107 I lost at the last second tonight. 

I really thought this was heading for $115k

I suspect the mice chew had a big affect on final price as well as this copy bouncing around without a permanent home leaving a friend to several dealers and auctions after. It was in a 3.5 holder for years. I can’t see the bump to a 4.0 with all the chew through the entire book. $135k+ would have kept it in price point line with the 2.5 that just sold for $86k. I think this selling for 3.0 money is perhaps on point. 

3 hours ago, Primetime said:

I suspect the mice chew had a big affect on final price as well as this copy bouncing around without a permanent home leaving a friend to several dealers and auctions after. It was in a 3.5 holder for years. I can’t see the bump to a 4.0 with all the chew through the entire book. $135k+ would have kept it in price point line with the 2.5 that just sold for $86k. I think this selling for 3.0 money is perhaps on point. 

(thumbsu

44 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Currently in Heritage. Has the worm turned?

C6B01C6B-19F8-4E40-A86C-94EDD2C7DDC1.png

6E98D80D-9D2D-4270-9572-EA19C0F6ECEE.png

The Cap 1 looks like a 4.0 to me, and the Batman 1.... yeeesh, the stain is huge, plus the rusty staple?  How is it a higher grade than the Cap 1???

Still.... both awesome comics, but I would choose the Cap 1 over the Batman 1 out of these two.

Edited by gadzukes