• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NY Times article on auction with original art for Krigstein "Master Race"

6 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Nice OA for sure. But Id rather have the 9.2 Tec27 they are offerin as well. But thats just me ...

You mean the 9.2 extensively restored and married D27.  You will have many chances to buy as nice or nicer D27s.  But, this chance at the "Citizen Kane" of comic book stories likely comes just once.

I expect a battle royale for Master Race.  The  NYT is way off on its comment on the likely hammer price.  I don't recall there being an $150K estimate, and its already beat that.  It will likely beat that by a fair bit.  After all, Halperin owns the cover (and you would think he would like the interior to accompany it) and Master Race is likely to be sought by several different institutions.  It is a unique piece which transcends the "collectable" status of most comic art, and it truly a piece of fine art.  This is not like the Hulk 180 page by Herb Trimpe (not a fine artist), depicting a superhero who looks like a refugee from the Cats musical, this is art that real museums would want.  Both serious art museums and Jewish cultural institutions.  And Lucas may want it too.  Will be fun to see what happens.

Edited by sfcityduck

Yes, I believe he posted about it. I believe he sold it because of the "displayability" of it. I would have to agree. I don't think I would want it on my wall either. Now, that being said, I would happily hang up covers like Vault of Horror #30 or #35. Probably for a lot less money. It should go to a museum I think.