• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchasing a slab online - do these added fees seem correct?

23 posts in this topic

So, I placed an order for a CGC slab from Metropolis Comics last week and when you order they do not give an actually shipping cost and make you wait for them process the order. 

Ok fine.

So I waited and my total price ended up a ton higher than expected.  

Am I out of line for questioning these charges?

$150 = original slab price

Shipping = $17.50 (seems crazy high for a single slab going usps).

Tax = 10% which I was expecting 0% since it said nothing about being charged sales tax when I ordered or on the website since I am not in the same state.

I questioned the tax charge and they said it was due to the wayfair supreme court decision.  Fine whatever but the actual online rate is 6.25% for Illinois if that is the case.

So purchased thinking it was $150 plus shipping so say $162 total

ends up being $182.50

This is small potatoes I know but seems out of line.

Edited by rkretz

6 minutes ago, rkretz said:

So, I placed an order for a CGC slab from Metropolis Comics last week and when you order they do not give an actually shipping cost and make you wait for them process the order. 

Ok fine.

So I waited and my total price ended up a ton higher than expected.  

Am I out of line for questioning these charges?

$150 = original slab price

Shipping = $17.50 (seems crazy high for a single slab going usps).

Tax = 10% which I was expecting 0% since it said nothing about being charged sales tax when I ordered or on the website since I am not in the same state.

I questioned the tax charge and they said it was due to the wayfair supreme court decision.  Fine whatever but the actual online rate is 6.25% for Illinois if that is the case.

So purchased thinking it was $150 plus shipping so say $162 total

ends up being $182.50

This is small potatoes I know but seems out of line.

Challenge them on the tax.  The rate should be the tax at your location.  

Shipping may be accurate if they are charging for the shipping materials, not just the transport fee.

I am questioning the tax rate.  

However, I don't understand how they can allow you to go through the process of placing the order online and then later charging tax without any mention of tax being collected or posted anywhere on the website other than if you live in New York.

Edited by rkretz

30 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Also, if it includes insurance, it sounds about right.

You are right about the tax sounding too high. Does it just default to the highest sales tax in the country?

hit'em back on the tax.  If you don't check the shipping cost a head of time, you get what you get (within reason, which this is).  If they have insurance, good packing materials, maybe toss in a quarter or dollar for handling... it's in the range.

I just got a reply.  They stated the state tax rate is 6.25% + 1.25% county tax + 1.5% city tax.

I kindly told them that was incorrect as online sales do not get taxed at the local rates additionally.  

Even Amazon.com charges only the flat 6.25% tax for purchases I make.

On top of that I still could not figure out the math and realized they are charging tax on the shipping fee which is absurd.

Makes you wonder what's up.

Biggest problem I have with all of this is the lack of information when you order if this is all legit.   No where does it mention the tax rates or the padded shipping costs.

I just placed a test order for something and it actually gave a ship rate and did not charge tax at all in the final total.

Edited by rkretz

With the tax changes the dealer sites are probably not set up to account for this, and even less likely to modify by state....these guys sell comics, the don't build websites. And yeah the shipping gets taxed too, I had the same thing happen with comiclink.

11 hours ago, I like pie said:

Also, if it includes insurance, it sounds about right.

I agree. Shipping a $150 slab from California to the East Coast via insured USPS Priority Mail costs a bit over $16, assuming postage is not purchased via a website that offers a discount...

9 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Or fly to NYC and pick it up in person.

I know facetious but if you do that, then you get charged the NY sales tax.  I did that on a HA auction once since I was going to be in Dallas (this was well before online sales incurred tax) and I got hit with the tax since I actually bought/paid for it in the state of Texas.  It was a pretty high dollar item and more than shipping would have cost me.  doh!

On 11/7/2018 at 4:46 PM, rkretz said:

I just got a reply.  They stated the state tax rate is 6.25% + 1.25% county tax + 1.5% city tax.

I kindly told them that was incorrect as online sales do not get taxed at the local rates additionally.  

Even Amazon.com charges only the flat 6.25% tax for purchases I make.

On top of that I still could not figure out the math and realized they are charging tax on the shipping fee which is absurd.

Makes you wonder what's up.

Biggest problem I have with all of this is the lack of information when you order if this is all legit.   No where does it mention the tax rates or the padded shipping costs.

I just placed a test order for something and it actually gave a ship rate and did not charge tax at all in the final total.

That is the NYC tax rate, 8.75or something. I understand they are likely to not know that tax rates for every county in the country.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:05 AM, 999ghosts said:

You guys are so lucky. A $150 book send to me would be $40 postage and on that total tax %21 and extra import cost about $15

So a $150 book quickly turns into a $250 book…. 

Move.