• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men 1 crossover help

19 posts in this topic

I need some advice.  I have an X-Men #1 graded by CBCS in 6.5 condition, and I thought I would take advantage of the new CGC crossover service.  They are predicting that the grade will be a 5.0-5.5 if they do the crossover service.  What should I do? I know CGC is the best and commands a premium, but it's hard to justify a 1-2 grade drop.

Edited by deflep6202

X-Men #1 CBCS 9.0 recently sold for as much as $6,900 on eBay.

X-Men #1 CGC 7.0 recently sold for as much as $16,000 on eBay.

X-Men #1 CGC 5.0 recently sold for as much as $9,000 on eBay.

That tells you all that you need to know.

Edited by TwoPiece
Edit: 5.0 data added.

54 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

X-Men #1 CBCS 9.0 recently sold for as much as $6,900 on eBay.

X-Men #1 CGC 7.0 recently sold for as much as $16,000 on eBay.

X-Men #1 CGC 5.0 recently sold for as much as $9,000 on eBay.

That tells you all that you need to know.

I didn't look at the CGCs but the CBCS 9.0 was restored with SA and also sold by All Things which many, like me, avoid if the one below is the one you are talking about.  I personally try to avoid voldys and would stick with CGC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-Vol-1-CBCS-9-0-Incredible-High-Grade-1st-Appearance-of-the-X-Men-1963-/202384991645?hash=item2f1f15e59d%3Ag%3AGeUAAOSwYUlbXWxO&nma=true&si=c4k4Gn%2Blq%2BHEjsKMphBJ5JEF1Dw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by telerites

6 minutes ago, telerites said:

I didn't look at the CGCs but the CBCS 9.0 was restored with SA and also sold by All Things which many, like me, avoid if the one below is the one you are talking about.  I personally try to avoid voldys and would stick with CGC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-Vol-1-CBCS-9-0-Incredible-High-Grade-1st-Appearance-of-the-X-Men-1963-/202384991645?hash=item2f1f15e59d%3Ag%3AGeUAAOSwYUlbXWxO&nma=true&si=c4k4Gn%2Blq%2BHEjsKMphBJ5JEF1Dw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That is the one I was talking about. That's part of the problem with CGC's competitors. I can't tell of any 'defects' by a quick glance at the label (preservation, qualification, restoration, signature, etc).

I would jump on a CGC 5.0 before any CBCS under 9.0.

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

That is the one I was talking about. That's part of the problem with CGC's competitors. I can't tell of any 'defects' by a quick glance at the label (preservation, qualification, restoration, signature, etc).

I would jump on a CGC 5.0 before any CBCS under 9.0.

When was the last time you spent thousands on a book without examining it and reading the label. Seems your complaint is about the size of the information on the label, and you can't quickly see it?

Comparing a restored book to a regular sale in an attempt to  put down a company speaks volumes to your character.  If one company is truly superior, it shouldn't need anyone offering deceptive information for them. 

Edited by shadroch

14 hours ago, shadroch said:

When was the last time you spent thousands on a book without examining it and reading the label. Seems your complaint is about the size of the information on the label, and you can't quickly see it?

Comparing a restored book to a regular sale in an attempt to  put down a company speaks volumes to your character.  If one company is truly superior, it shouldn't need anyone offering deceptive information for them. 

I get it. You work for CBCS. I'm sorry that you're not employed by the best in the business.

It speaks more to your character that you're attempting to bash me in defense of an inferior product.

Also, I suggest you read the entire thread before throwing shade, as I admitted the 9.0 referenced is in fact the restored listing. I didn't intentionally provide any misinformation. L2R and grow up. This isn't how mature adults have meaningful discussions.

Edited by TwoPiece

You admitted it was a restored book after it was pointed out. Now you accuse me of working for a company with no evidence.

One of us is posting things that provably are untrue. One of us isn't.

Nuff said.

15 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You admitted it was a restored book after it was pointed out. Now you accuse me of working for a company with no evidence.

One of us is posting things that provably are untrue. One of us isn't.

Nuff said.

It had to be pointed out because it wasn't obvious. And I rest my case.

Prove to me that CBCS' practices are as transparent as CGC's. Until that is done, I also rest my case that the competitor provides inferior services and products.

Enough said.

Damn, you guys need to chill out.  Anyone looking at the first response would have assumed a CBCS 9.0 was not restored and sold for so little.  Extremely misleading.  Could CBCS use colored labels? Sure.  Does it mean the comic inside is garbage if it is CBCS? No.  Thank you both for your responses. 

1 minute ago, deflep6202 said:

Damn, you guys need to chill out.  Anyone looking at the first response would have assumed a CBCS 9.0 was not restored and sold for so little.  Extremely misleading.  Could CBCS use colored labels? Sure.  Does it mean the comic inside is garbage if it is CBCS? No.  Thank you both for your responses. 

Damn, you can't tell me what to do, you're not my dad.

8 minutes ago, Thats Interesting said:

Steve Borock was the first president of both companies. How can you trust one and not the other?

Is this a rhetorical question? Are you implying or insinuating (or otherwise conveying) that CBCS' practices are as transparent as, or products as regarding/respected/purchased, as well as CGC?

How about not bothering with the strawman.

7 minutes ago, Thats Interesting said:

Wow, your ignorance is embarrassing. You should go into hiding for a while.

Wow, your gall for a n00b is embarrassing. You should delete your account. No intelligence in retort to even further the discussion.

I mean, that is truly embarrassing.

Edited by TwoPiece

Just now, Thats Interesting said:

What's the difference between CGC Borock and CBCS Borock?

The real question is: What is the difference between CGC and CBCS?

The answer is: A lot. Do your own research and you'll see what everyone else does.

Drop the strawman (and the rocks).

Just now, Thats Interesting said:

What everyone else does? lol No one is jumping on your ignorant bandwagon.

You're free to use the search engine to inform your ignorance. I've done my research. You, obviously, have not done yours.

Maybe use a dictionary to learn the definitions of the words you intend on posting prior to making laughing irony out of yourself.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:08 PM, deflep6202 said:

According to the grading notes, which you can check for free on line, it has 3 trimmed edges and numerous color touch, plus the flaws CBCS believe make it a 9.0.