• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,628 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, the blob said:

Video game comics have a weird niche.

The Ratchet and  Clank mini does well (although this sale is above the norm): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ratchet-and-Clank-Comic-Books-1-2-3-4-5-6-1-6-DC-Wildstorm-NEW-RARE/163261694366?hash=item260327c19e:g:qDAAAOSw6yJa0VMJ

The Uncharted mini does ok (I have seen it go much higher):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncharted-1-6-2012-DC-VF-NM-to-NM-Complete-Set/163181763361?hash=item25fe641b21:g:JmIAAOSw6fpbYz-Q

Oddly, the TPBs of the above go for good money too.

16 hours ago, BishopT said:

The Last of Us comics are pretty tough, too. Of course the early Sonic books and even some of the old Valiant Nintendo books. I thought (hoped) the Metal Gear Solid books would be hotter, especially since I'm a big fan of Ashley Wood's art. I want to say Earthworm Jim does well, too.

All of these besides Earthworm Jim have also been at least optioned for movies at some point. I think all are still in the works. R & C has been released.

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

All of these besides Earthworm Jim have also been at least optioned for movies at some point. I think all are still in the works. R & C has been released.

The r&c movie may have lowered prices on the mini. They dropped after it was a bust, but have bounced back. Go figure. And I don't get the $50+ sales on the tpbs just because they are out of print, but I suspect video game fans may prefer to read as a tpb. My kid does not like reading floppy comics, he much prefers them in tpb format.

16 hours ago, BishopT said:

The Last of Us comics are pretty tough, too. Of course the early Sonic books and even some of the old Valiant Nintendo books. I thought (hoped) the Metal Gear Solid books would be hotter, especially since I'm a big fan of Ashley Wood's art. I want to say Earthworm Jim does well, too.

I have a low budget addiction to ash wood. Love finding the doom 2099 books in the cheap boxes. Alas when I perused his table at nycc a few years back smallish paintings were like $2k, so that ended that inquiry.

22 hours ago, BishopT said:

Valiant Nintendo books are interesting.  They had huge print runs (hundreds of thousands), but didn't make many appearances in comic shop inventories.  They were primarily sold through Toys 'R Us and similar venues pre-1993 where the limited selections of comics were often seen as "little kid stuff" and disposable, versus all those bagged and boarded direct editions of more "serious" characters from Marvel or DC at the comic shop.  

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Thank you.  I couldn't believe I found that batman 1 after commenting about it last week!

It was a little ironic or serendipitous, I remembered, thinking I'm glad people still enjoy good stories like that  :foryou:

On 11/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

From a toy show this weekend. There were only two guys with $1 books so I was pretty pleased with the results.

95268957-895C-48E4-A8BD-DACA6FA8DC7F.jpeg

Nice work there! (thumbsu I am personally partial to the AT 12.

@BishopT Wow killer pickups. I personally love the cover to the last marvel presents issue. First batman beyond in the DC universe, and those 2 Deathstroke covers! Bravo! 

Also I didn't know the "Legion" AH cover existed, I will be on the hunt for a copy now. Thanks!:applause:

My LCS had 50% off all books in their long boxes for Black Friday. Most were only $.50 then, but some were marked for more. This was a group of the better books I picked out. The Hawkeye #1 was a Canadian Price Variant the shop owner didn't notice, that Francis book is in really good condition, the Watchmen issues were like $4-$5 an issue because they were 50% off, the Cheese Heads I can't find anything about except that it's an obscure Canadian indie series so that's cool, the Kamandi is real beat up but it was only $1, the Communist Super Heroes book is just funny, Rat was signed by the creators and I paid $.50 for it, and I generally pick up anything Sam Keith I don't have because I like his work.

IMG_20181124_104915530.jpg