• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,628 posts in this topic

Pretty solid dives into the cheapo boxes this past week, all of these ended up being either 50 cents or $1. The Rebirth Action Comics are newsstands (and in decent shape, too), I thought that German Spawn was really neat (it's a kind of odd near-double cover), Unity appears to be signed by Jim Shooter, and I think Gen 13 is a 1:50 (or so say eBay listings). 

5FFA01F7-612E-4C2D-B990-33E35F93B02A.jpeg

602B2614-2206-4DCD-A290-4641DC32B144.jpeg

720B6AFD-3048-4B0A-8FA2-054F164E9D4A.jpeg

9320D1B0-D3CF-4DB6-B1F0-414DC59EF0BF.jpeg

494C8141-4280-4C86-AACF-D71DB9D5BC2E.jpeg

71F32B94-69CD-4D8E-872E-77508E4A81F5.jpeg

F931E981-7B93-41C6-8459-6786CA86F333.jpeg

76E9F165-1031-4AE3-A155-31C62FA21D7F.jpeg

Edited by BishopT

Is diving through the dollar bins like that Hollywood trope where the main character is looking for answers but ends up leaving with more questions that they started with?  I mean, my adventures through the dollar bins all started when I wanted to fill some runs.  And then of course you see something that catches your eye.  Sometimes it's an individual book, but other times it's a set.  Or more often, a partial set.  And suddenly you've got another book on your "find" list  This happened to me again today.  My LCS has about 8 rows of back bins for $0.50 books.  They also love to spread the books out so it's never in any discernible order.  You might find a set of 3-5 Avengers books in one row, then the continuation of another 3-5 books in another, and yet another continuation in another row.  Ultimately you see the first grouping and think, "meh, I don't care enough about the title to pick those up."  But then as you go through the rest of the rows you start going "man, there's at least 10 straight issues from this particular run."  At that point, if you want to start the pile, you go back to the previous rows and pick out the books.

So today, i'm rifling through and I see Original Sin #0, then a bit later, another issue, and then another.  Now, three issues in an 8 part event isn't enough to make me grab them, especially since I was event fatigued when the series came out and just didn't care to pick it up.  But then I noticed a pattern where one issue was in each of the 8 bins.  Which meant, I started pulling them out.  Lo and behold issues 0-2, and 4-8 were in there.  By the time I look at the last book, i'm thinking "I must have missed issue #3".  But we all know how time consuming it is to go through all those books and closely look for an individual issue.  I just couldn't be bothered at that point.  It was borderline maddening to walk away with every issue in the set EXCEPT for one issue.  And it's not like I'm gonna buy the book online, unless I have a bulk order to spread out the shipping either.  Which means my only solution is to hopefully find the missing book in the bargain bin at a later date, or to find it at a con.

TL;DR - my list of books to fill runs gets bigger each time I go through the bargain bins...not smaller.

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Decent pulls from my local Mr K's (similar to Half Price Books/2nd & Charles/etc). All at $1. Aliens 1988 is complete 1-6. Marvel Legends books are a guilty pleasure of mine at $1 or less. And obviously Hughes Zatanna...…………..

IMG_1121.jpg

Are those first print Aliens as well?

5 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Decent pulls from my local Mr K's (similar to Half Price Books/2nd & Charles/etc). All at $1. Aliens 1988 is complete 1-6. Marvel Legends books are a guilty pleasure of mine at $1 or less. And obviously Hughes Zatanna...…………..

IMG_1121.jpg

daayuum!

6 hours ago, BishopT said:

Had a pretty successful day between a store's sale (got Carnage #3 Putri variant for $10, a couple 70s romance comics for cheap, Spiderman Adventures #1 foil for a buck among other lesser books) and a surprising few dollar boxes at the flea market (X Force #1 negative with Deadpool card, 2x Uncanny X Men #222, Uncanny #256, Star Wars Dark Empire #1 among others all for a dollar). But, these are the real winners today (Thor and Deathmate were $2 at LCS, SDCC Comics I fished out of a dollar box at the flea market)

Barnyard or US 1?

5 hours ago, Vfactor1 said:

If I’m correct that SDCC is first appearance of Hellboy, correct?

Nice Find!

That it is. And it's funny, it's not like the guy just threw all his comics in a dollar box, he had market priced modern keys in glass cases that someone just before me bought a box full of... I thought I had just missed out on a great score, but alas, scouring his few dollar boxes yielded that little gem.

13 hours ago, BishopT said:

That it is. And it's funny, it's not like the guy just threw all his comics in a dollar box, he had market priced modern keys in glass cases that someone just before me bought a box full of... I thought I had just missed out on a great score, but alas, scouring his few dollar boxes yielded that little gem.

Maybe he only new of Next Men #21, or didn't realize that this was the first "Black and White" appearance, either way lol Congrats!