• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,628 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, bellrules said:

Used book store

Yeah, but the last 2 issues of Immortal Hulk are included. Sounds like theft or something. I find it hard to believe that someone buys these at $3 or so a pop ad then immediately dumps them off at a used bookstore for almost 100% loss. Makes no sense to me. Something is surely amiss...

And :hi: @bellrules. How are you? Do you have another 80 boxes to sell me? ;)

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

1 hour ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Yeah, but the last 2 issues of Immortal Hulk are included. Sounds like theft or something. I find it hard to believe that someone buys these at $3 or so a pop ad then immediately dumps them off at a used bookstore for almost 100% loss. Makes no sense to me. Something is surely amiss...

It happens fairly frequently where there are places like Half Price Books. I assume people want to read the new issue, they got their entertainment then want to recoupe a few pennies.

10 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It happens fairly frequently where there are places like Half Price Books. I assume people want to read the new issue, they got their entertainment then want to recoupe a few pennies.

Yeah, this happens all the time at HPB. Yesterday I found a run of all of the Detective Countdown books, last few issues of Heroes in Crisis, etc. Happens all the time. I think there are definitely still pure "readers" out there who don't care about the value once they're done reading them. They sell them to HPB for 10 cents and buy another book.

7 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, this happens all the time at HPB. Yesterday I found a run of all of the Detective Countdown books, last few issues of Heroes in Crisis, etc. Happens all the time. I think there are definitely still pure "readers" out there who don't care about the value once they're done reading them. They sell them to HPB for 10 cents and buy another book.

I saw avengers #684, didn't think twice, but went back and gone unfortunately....

I haven't mastered on how to stay knowledgeable for HPB.  

I go and look through the secure bins, but many people Don't bother with those and just look for books like your examples

^^

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I saw avengers #684, didn't think twice, but went back and gone unfortunately....

I haven't mastered on how to stay knowledgeable for HPB.  

I go and look through the secure bins, but many people Don't bother with those and just look for books like your examples

^^

My experience with the "secured" books are that they are often wildly overpriced mid-grade bronze, worthless funny animal Dells and Gold Keys, etc. Essentially "old" books that the HPB staff assume (like most people) are valuable because they're old. I've never found anything worth buying in there. But they routinely dump valuable moderns in the dollar bin because new stuff just isn't on their radar. 

On 3/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, ygogolak said:

Understood. We don't have such stores in my neck of the woods.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:23 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Good and no :)