• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,628 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Actually, these came from dollar boxes in two comic shops.

You better go back and get more selling books like that will surely get them out of business. That's beyond stupid.
I mean seriously I had shops that mismanage their books everywhere, but your area seems to have the most 
incompetent I have ever seen. 

10 hours ago, Conacon said:

When you say dollar box... surely this isn't in someone's $ bin at an LCS? Just so everyone knows, if I say dollar bin, I'm talking any comic I get for $1 anywhere. My LCS doesn't discount comics. 

That's the definition I use, with the qualifier that I am specifically talking somewhere that sells comics regularly.  I wouldn't include an antique store that happened to have half a dozen books, for example.

I know at least one store that will at least occasionally put good stuff in the bins deliberately to keep people looking, or because it's not in their specific wheelhouse.  I like to claim the dollar I spent on this book was the second best book that store sold that weekend, for example:

(The best book they sold that weekend was the 9.0 Action #1, just for reference.)

Fantastic_Four_066.jpg

20 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Actually, these came from dollar boxes in two comic shops.

That's amazing... so I wonder what's in their $5 box.

AF15?

(An original and not the facsimile)

il_794xN.2184065084_trg2.thumb.jpg.858f0ffd0a7508c142f945dfb218a8d3.jpg

Edited by devald
wrong image

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:
On 3/7/2020 at 11:39 PM, Conacon said:

Game Xchange locations in Dallas. Sorry guys, cleaned them out!

20200307_204247.jpg

Where did you find a Det880 for a buck?

It's in his post :baiting:lol I went by a location to check it out, but only found the Ultimate X #1 in raw 6.5 and they charged me $3.25......

There also was a cry for dawn issue raw, it wasn't a 9.8, but that book in 9.8 goes for some $$, I left it there :) 

At least it's on my radar now, Game Xchange is the name of the store, it's only 10 minutes away from me. Here is hoping. It's more of a game store, I don't know how often they get new stock, not sure where they are getting their supply as it's a video game store (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's in his post :baiting:lol I went by a location to check it out, but only found the Ultimate X #1 in raw 6.5 and they charged me $3.25......

There also was a cry for dawn issue raw, it wasn't a 9.8, but that book in 9.8 goes for some $$, I left it there :) 

At least it's on my radar now, Game Xchange is the name of the store, it's only 10 minutes away from me. Here is hoping. It's more of a game store, I don't know how often they get new stock, not sure where they are getting their supply as it's a video game store (thumbsu 

I've been scouring every Game Xchange in East Texas and have been pretty lucky so far. Also found JSA Classified 1 Adam Hughes variant, as well as several Batman 89s and 90s and YOTV Hell Arisen 3s (7 or 8 total). JSA was priced at $4.50 and the Batman issues were cover price. 

Some stores sell new comics and old and some stores just sell back issues. Their order system is crazy for new comics. They mostly carry core titles and multiple copies of them, but the orders come from corporate, not the stores themselves. Prices vary widely, too. Some have ALL their back issues at $.99 and some charge $1.99 for anything older than 1985. And some honor whatever price is on their bag (which can lead to a beat up 1.5 bronze age comic being $12.50). One store let me have several TPBs for $.99 each as though they were regular issues,  but some stores have TPBs at cover price.

I've noticed my local store is piling up. Partly bc they're ordering way too many non sellers and partly bc their large back issue stock has been picked through, so it's not moving anymore. 

Careful out there- these guys like to grasp the comics like they're slippery fish when scanning them! I've yet to meet a worker who appreciates maintaining condition. I've even taken the comics out of their hands a few times. 

$1 at Entertainmart. The cashier said, "That shouldn't be a dollar. I didn't know we had these." I said, "Comicbooks? Yeah there's a load of them back there." Then we shared that, "you and I both know what I mean" look and I quietly paid for my stuff. 

Starslayer 10 Front.jpg

On 5/17/2020 at 9:17 PM, Conacon said:

$1 at Entertainmart. The cashier said, "That shouldn't be a dollar. I didn't know we had these." I said, "Comicbooks? Yeah there's a load of them back there." Then we shared that, "you and I both know what I mean" look and I quietly paid for my stuff. 

Starslayer 10 Front.jpg

Nice one!  I've had my copy for years, fortunately. 

I've gotten a couple of Warp #5's from dollar bins since the news hit, but not the Starslayers.