• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,635 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

That is not an adventure in the dollar bin :roflmao:

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:takeit: hehe

I can dream hahahaha lol 

It was in the dollar bin...the $175 dollar bin.  B|

IMG_20200617_120740325_MP.jpg

Anyway I forgot to post this...

I found it in the $1.00 bin at the used bookstore but

Since the bookstore prices based on the comics price, and this issue is "free" at distribution

I got it for 53 cents.... hm

Technically not the $1 bin either (:

IMG_20200609_181905748.jpg

While that Sucide Girls Annual is hard to find there are 3 other copies that are harder to find that. 
There is the knife/butt Cover C that I got signed by Seeley which is pretty tough. 

Then there are the 2 copies that you only see once in a blue moon that sell for $100+ every time.
Cover D and E. 2 sold recently and I hadn't seen a copy for sale for months before that.

I have never ever seen them anywhere, but on ebay. I know they are in stores because a boardie
found one last year and told me about it. He still owes me. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 6/17/2020 at 10:27 AM, Keys_Collector said:

There are still books to be found out there especially in less residential areas.  The skeptical side of my brain does wonder how often some people just say they found something when in reality they've had it for years or paid close to FMV for it....especially when someone has 1 post on this forum and they say "I found a Xmen 266 for a dollar" but it is possible he/she had a good find.

I'm not sure how I only have one post, been on these boards for years...not a big poster but I've even bought and sold here. Seems like my account reset or something?

Anyway, I found the uncanny X-Men #266 in a lot of 20 books for $20. Local seller on Kijiji (Canadian Craig's list). 

You wouldn't believe it but few years ago I found an incomplete action comics #23 (1st Lex Luthor) w/full Superman story for $10 in a local shop that sells items from estate clean outs. 

I wasn't as knowledgable then and didn't know what I even found till I looked it up when I got home. 

There's lots of great books out there if you know where to look. 

Edited by web_spinner

So i stopped into a dingy toy store today to find boxes of comics labeled 50 cents.  I went through about 20 and found issues of toxin son of carnage, jason x 1, 5 copies of stan lee meets spiderman, 1 copy of amazing spiderman 546, 7 copies of wraith #1 and 4 or 5 secret avengers 1st app of agent venom......i went to pay for the books and apparently dude looks up the prices on ebay.  Found out the 50 cent sign on the box was from his friends old comic store that closes down and he just never took off the box.  After waiting about 30 min as he waited on customers who came in after me, as he needed to look up avout 40 comics, i decided to leave.  So frustrating as i thought i hit the jackpot but alas i did all the work for nothing.  

1 hour ago, rckstr1253 said:

So i stopped into a dingy toy store today to find boxes of comics labeled 50 cents.  I went through about 20 and found issues of toxin son of carnage, jason x 1, 5 copies of stan lee meets spiderman, 1 copy of amazing spiderman 546, 7 copies of wraith #1 and 4 or 5 secret avengers 1st app of agent venom......i went to pay for the books and apparently dude looks up the prices on ebay.  Found out the 50 cent sign on the box was from his friends old comic store that closes down and he just never took off the box.  After waiting about 30 min as he waited on customers who came in after me, as he needed to look up avout 40 comics, i decided to leave.  So frustrating as i thought i hit the jackpot but alas i did all the work for nothing.  

Lazy shop owners who don’t price merchandise ahead of time are the worst.. smh. I find pricing products at the register to be novice and unprofessional 

Edited by littledoom

3 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

I had a similar incident at a yard sale a couple of years ago. I ask how much the comics are, and the mom tells me they are her son's and she wants some $100s for the two short boxes of 90s stuff. I say no thanks and look around elsewhere. She comes back and says they are $1 each. I start to dig and pull. As I'm digging and pulling, she takes part of my pile and starts to look them up on eBay. She then says, this one is $5, this one is $10, on and on. So they are not, $1 each I ask? I take the stack back from her, including the ones she hadn't searched yet, randomly insert them back into the boxes - I don't work for free. I bought a Joe 155 and Spider-Man Obama cover at a reasonable price and left.

10 minutes ago, srezvan said:

I had a similar incident at a yard sale a couple of years ago. I ask how much the comics are, and the mom tells me they are her son's and she wants some $100s for the two short boxes of 90s stuff. I say no thanks and look around elsewhere. She comes back and says they are $1 each. I start to dig and pull. As I'm digging and pulling, she takes part of my pile and starts to look them up on eBay. She then says, this one is $5, this one is $10, on and on. So they are not, $1 each I ask? I take the stack back from her, including the ones she hadn't searched yet, randomly insert them back into the boxes - I don't work for free. I bought a Joe 155 and Spider-Man Obama cover at a reasonable price and left.

Exactly. Long story short, was at a store (physical store) where back issues are $2 each (and clearly labeled as such). I pulled out several copies of a hot comic. Took them up and the owner said it’s a limit of one — even for 5 year old back issues. I put the extra copies back and bought one . Went back to the store and all the other copies are gone; they are now up on his eBay site at auction. Feel like I should get some sort of commission. 

16 minutes ago, srezvan said:

:sick: