• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,636 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

When I saw "Harbinger 1-4" in this thread, I was like ... yeah, sure, the 2012 series isn't all that great. I mean, #1 doesn't deserve to be in the bargain bin, but that's why we have these sorts of threads, right? It's not like anyone would clearance out the 1992 series, surely...

Oh. Nope.

That's patently ridiculous, even if they were 4/$10 and so not technically dollar books.

I tried to figure out what happened but it didn't even make sense to me if they missed a '0'. No price guide puts them at that level. $0.55 over cover price. AND THEY ALL HAD THE COUPON. I figured a 10% chance of that, given the significant markdown. Then it might almost make sense if they were priced a long time ago...

2 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I tried to figure out what happened but it didn't even make sense to me if they missed a '0'. No price guide puts them at that level. $0.55 over cover price. AND THEY ALL HAD THE COUPON. I figured a 10% chance of that, given the significant markdown. Then it might almost make sense if they were priced a long time ago...

Honestly, my best guess? Someone whose only exposure to Valiant was the post-Unity books that have been the "bulk" in oh-so-many long boxes since the 90s. See Valiant icon, dump in clearance bin, go on with life. And the thing is, that's not a terrible plan 98% of the time, because nearly all the Valiant material likely to come in with a collection buy is post-Unity stuff that is still mostly worthless.

But when it's wrong... it's really wrong.

How's condition on those books? If they're coupon-intact, I have to assume they're generally in nice shape overall.

5 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Honestly, my best guess? Someone whose only exposure to Valiant was the post-Unity books that have been the "bulk" in oh-so-many long boxes since the 90s. See Valiant icon, dump in clearance bin, go on with life. And the thing is, that's not a terrible plan 98% of the time, because nearly all the Valiant material likely to come in with a collection buy is post-Unity stuff that is still mostly worthless.

But when it's wrong... it's really wrong.

How's condition on those books? If they're coupon-intact, I have to assume they're generally in nice shape overall.

They're pretty sharp...I won't bombard the thread with the others but they're all in the 9's

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

They're pretty sharp...I won't bombard the thread with the others but they're all in the 9's

Somewhere I have Harbinger #1 and #2 with coupons.  And 10c stickers from Half Price Books, right on the issue.  (Or at least they used to, I think I tried removing one of the stickers with mixed results...)

47 minutes ago, IbukiLord said:

Only went for the Spawn but the LCS had a buy 3 or more and get 40% off so made sense to grab another copy of Ironman

1UO9rnu.jpg

I contemplated buying IM 3rd print as I saw it on the stands.. but my thinking it was so far removed from the first print which is the money book at the time so I passed

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:04 PM, Qalyar said:

When I saw "Harbinger 1-4" in this thread, I was like ... yeah, sure, the 2012 series isn't all that great. I mean, #1 doesn't deserve to be in the bargain bin, but that's why we have these sorts of threads, right? It's not like anyone would clearance out the 1992 series, surely...

Oh. Nope.

That's patently ridiculous, even if they were 4/$10 and so not technically dollar books.

From post #1 in this thread (from me...) : "Ok, it could be a quarter box or even a $2 box...get into the $3 or 3 for $10 box and that's too rich for my blood... (just kidding..maybe) " ... so he falls (just barely) into the criteria...

10 hours ago, IbukiLord said:
13 hours ago, littledoom said:

relegated to dollar bins already?

They were at my LCS, another 20 or so copies there, so guess they ordered too many no one was buying so they shoved them in the $ bin.

Or they made their money on the incentive variants and dumped the excess in the $1 bins? Seems common lately.