• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,635 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I was going to ask why you bought 22 copies of the same book, but first I looked at eBay and now I understand. Nice one!

I kept the two best copies of all the Immortal Hulks.  One as a “just in case” and one to eventually slab.  I’ve since acquired about 80% of all that series’ variants.  I usually don’t read a lot of Marvel but this has been my favorite book now for over a year.  If you haven’t read it, you should.  Prepare to be pleasantly shocked.  It’s not your father’s Hulk!  :news:2c

Great dollar box finds have kind of dried up for me lately... so, I figured I’d reminisce about my best dollar box finds, so I came up with a top 20 favorite dollar box finds ever (maybe not most valuable but favorites), in no particular order:

Uncanny X Men #129 FN+
Uncanny X Men #266 NM-

New Mutants #98 NM (these first three were found in the first week of the local 2nd and Charles opening here in town... got me back into the swing of collecting, honestly)

The Crow #2 1st print VF

San Diego Comic Con Comics #2 VF-

Captain Marvel #14 NM x2 (same day, same box)

Spawn #1 Newsstand NM+
Vampirella #3 Bruce Timm Variant NM

Incredible Hulk #141 VF (from my first favorite LCS back when I lived in Mississippi for 9 months in 99/00... regrettably sold when I was out of collecting about a decade ago)

Incredible Hulk #340 (early 2nd and Charles find again)

Detective Comics #880 NM

New Adventures of Toxic Avengers #1 NM

Saga of The Swamp Thing #37 NM- (a closing comic shop years ago that had nothing in order, or priced and insisted on looking up every book... except this one)

Sentry #1 SDCC variant NM x2 (two copies, one bag)

Sandman #8 NM 

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends #1  NM Mark Jewelers Variant 

Strange Tales #180 VF (another closing store, another careless store owner)

Vampirella Halloween Trick & Treat Michael Golden Variant VF (one of the most underrated Vampirella covers IMO)

Wolverine #66 Old Man Logan newsstand edition VF 
Young Avengers #1 (all the many copies I found in dollar boxes over the years... love Kate Bishop)

Ms. Marvel #18 VF (another from my old favorite LCS in Mississippi)

Anyone else want to play? Or am I just too bored?

Wow, that's a great list! Mine are recent since I just got back into collecting in the last couple of months - found:

Superman 75 newsstand (not high-value but I like that it's newsstand copy, high grade too)

Shadow of the Bat 1 in a sealed polybag with some other cool stuff like a pop-up Arkham Asylum, some posters, etc. Thought it was neat for a buck.

Two copies of ASM 361 and one copy of 362 - all 2nd prints - found all three in a $2 box at an antique fair. They're all about an 8.0-8.5

I had an opportunity to do some dollar box diving at a local garage sale this weekend - at the house of a local comic con/show vendor. Unfortunately, he had most of the stuff color coded yellow/green/red/blue for $1/$2/$5/$10 books, or prices as marked. I found a bunch of yellow stickered books (all bagged and boarded too which is i nice):

Superman 74 second print, Superman 75 second print (2 copies) and third print (3 copies)

Some X-Books, the Phalanx Covenant cross over and the hologram cover books - 7-8 issues total

Hulk 2099 - two newsstand issues

Couple Image newsies, Cyber Force 1 and 2 I believe

Couple Silver Wolf issues for my personal collection

Eclipse Comics' X-Farce parody book

Few other issues, nothing great.

Oh, and I splurged for a red stickered Spawn newsstand $5!, a random issue below 30 I believe, nothing special. 

I can't remember all of the awesome books I used to pull for a buck. Half Price Books used to be a goldmine before others caught on. From HPB I've picked up Fables 1, Preacher 1, Wolverine Origins 10 (twice!), Lady Killer 1 (also twice), tons of Walking Dead, Spawn and McFarlane Spider-Man, newsstand variants, etc. It's harder to find stuff these days, there's one other buyer (a guy I actually sell to quite a bit) who seems to beat me to the local HPB scores. But it used to be a real honey hole.

My LCS (pre-Covid) had tons of $1 and 50 cent sales. I've also pulled tons of good stuff from there. Wolverine mini series 1-4 (for a buck each!), Silver Surfer stuff when it was hot (Infinity Gauntlet) and more stuff than I can recall. But, again, word got out. In recent months when they've had the sale, the line to get into the space is outside and around the store. I used to be able to just walk right up. 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I can't remember all of the awesome books I used to pull for a buck. Half Price Books used to be a goldmine before others caught on. From HPB I've picked up Fables 1, Preacher 1, Wolverine Origins 10 (twice!), Lady Killer 1 (also twice), tons of Walking Dead, Spawn and McFarlane Spider-Man, newsstand variants, etc. It's harder to find stuff these days, there's one other buyer (a guy I actually sell to quite a bit) who seems to beat me to the local HPB scores. But it used to be a real honey hole.

My LCS (pre-Covid) had tons of $1 and 50 cent sales. I've also pulled tons of good stuff from there. Wolverine mini series 1-4 (for a buck each!), Silver Surfer stuff when it was hot (Infinity Gauntlet) and more stuff than I can recall. But, again, word got out. In recent months when they've had the sale, the line to get into the space is outside and around the store. I used to be able to just walk right up. 

Yep. I had a place that was literally across the street.... a thrift/antique kind of place..... The toy area had tons of comics.... It's all but dried up now.... Lots of comics, but nothing of real value that's worth the pick anymore.... The actual LCS have thinned the herd a bit too. There's a few I go to that "have everything", but it's all high retail as they have the space to just let it sit in a box....