• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,636 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2020 at 1:41 PM, fastballspecial said:

Took awhile, but I found it very interesting.

image.thumb.png.0cbe55ffba9c1f8f12283836c770f1c3.pngTook awhile 

If you want to learn more about Spawn newsstand issues and their variants, I created a very in-depth guide that can be found here:

http://spawnworld.com/features/The Definitive Guide to Spawn Newsstand Editions.pdf

1 hour ago, Lobstrosity said:

If you want to learn more about Spawn newsstand issues and their variants, I created a very in-depth guide that can be found here:

http://spawnworld.com/features/The Definitive Guide to Spawn Newsstand Editions.pdf

That is a fascinating read thank you. I had no idea you were the one who wrote that. I remember years back you were trying to complete
a set did you ever complete it?

15 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That is a fascinating read thank you. I had no idea you were the one who wrote that. I remember years back you were trying to complete
a set did you ever complete it?

Thanks, i'd hoped it would be helpful.

I did complete my set, however recently I got the hair-brained idea to try for a 9.2+ set of them, so I'm back on the hunt for any that might not be top grade. It's a very tough set to complete.

My adventures digging through 50 cent to $2 boxes this past week. I think the best score is the Dark Horse Presents 10, 1st app of The Mask, and in pretty good condition too.

First photo, DHP10 and Ironjaw 4 were a dollar, the rest 50c. The second photo everything was a dollar each.

20201130_173420.jpg

20201128_170941.jpg

20201130_174301.jpg

16 minutes ago, kccoig14 said:

My adventures digging through 50 cent to $2 boxes this past week. I think the best score is the Dark Horse Presents 10, 1st app of The Mask, and in pretty good condition too.

First photo, DHP10 and Ironjaw 4 were a dollar, the rest 50c. The second photo everything was a dollar each.

20201130_174301.jpg

Man oh man not really a :(

but a coulda shoulda 

there was at least VF + couple years back, if not NM,  at the local used bookstore that I passed on

Congrats on the find!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

but a coulda shoulda 

there was at least VF + couple years back, if not NM,  at the local used bookstore that I passed on

Congrats on the find!

I know the feeling. I've got a few experiences that I kick myself over for not picking a book up when it was cheaper.

51 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

but a coulda shoulda 

Congrats on the find!

I woke up late to a local show and a "friend" of mine pulled that in a longbox full of dollar books

On the other hand

I've missed other opportunities for sure but hasn't happened too much just piles up over time.

I went the other day and at the used bookstore there was a marvel premiere #11 for $2,

But pages were loose.

Also, marvel premiere #13 for $2 was there with iron fist but was missing mvs.

So as few and far between as good finds are,

It's really the mountains of times that there was nothing that makes missing one a kick in the behind lol!!

:martini:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

That DHP10 is pretty nice, and definitely worth better than a buck! That Ironjaw #4 is fun to see; Atlas tried pretty hard to break into the majors, but didn't quite pull it off. I'd hoped that Ardden Entertainment's revival of the brand in 2010 (?) would take, since smaller publishers are a little better positioned now than they were in the 70s, but it seems it wasn't in the cards this time, either.

And there was a time when I would have made fun of people for actually buying copies of Dazzer #1, but the book has done fairly well for itself after all. Also, I have a good friend who picked up a stack of about 15 of that thing one day a few years back (when it really was still pretty much a dollar bin book everywhere)... all of which turned out to be the page 24/25 error edition. Because of course they were.

42 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

That DHP10 is pretty nice, and definitely worth better than a buck! That Ironjaw #4 is fun to see; Atlas tried pretty hard to break into the majors, but didn't quite pull it off. I'd hoped that Ardden Entertainment's revival of the brand in 2010 (?) would take, since smaller publishers are a little better positioned now than they were in the 70s, but it seems it wasn't in the cards this time, either.

And there was a time when I would have made fun of people for actually buying copies of Dazzer #1, but the book has done fairly well for itself after all. Also, I have a good friend who picked up a stack of about 15 of that thing one day a few years back (when it really was still pretty much a dollar bin book everywhere)... all of which turned out to be the page 24/25 error edition. Because of course they were.

Wow, talk about some luck. The Ironjaw is so cool. I love the artwork by Pablo Marcus. You can tell he was a fan of Barry Windsor Smith.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:35 PM, kccoig14 said:

I think the best score is the Dark Horse Presents 10, 1st app of The Mask, and in pretty good condition too.

DHP10 ... a dollar

20201130_174301.jpg

I don't think I ever paid less than $5 for this book, even 25 years ago. Nice score for $1! :golfclap:

On 12/2/2020 at 12:10 AM, kccoig14 said:

Wow, talk about some luck. The Ironjaw is so cool. I love the artwork by Pablo Marcus. You can tell he was a fan of Barry Windsor Smith.

pablo marcos was an accomplished illustrator long before barry smith ever had anything published, but yeah, his barbarians were no doubt BWS inspired

23 hours ago, valiantman said:

I don't think I ever paid less than $5 for this book, even 25 years ago. Nice score for $1! :golfclap:

Are they doing another masque movie? This book is a lot better than a dollar book, yes, but the way you guys were talking I thought this was a $100 book and that I had bette get my copies out... not so much:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-HORSE-PRESENTS-3-7-9-10-VERY-EARLY-Concrete-Masque-Monq-/203175771936?hash=item2f4e383f20%3Ag%3A6AYAAOSwRRpfqtdO&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557      (ok, it is usually $15-$20 or so)

22 minutes ago, the blob said:

Are they doing another masque movie? This book is a lot better than a dollar book, yes, but the way you guys were talking I thought this was a $100 book and that I had bette get my copies out... not so much:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-HORSE-PRESENTS-3-7-9-10-VERY-EARLY-Concrete-Masque-Monq-/203175771936?hash=item2f4e383f20%3Ag%3A6AYAAOSwRRpfqtdO&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557      (ok, it is usually $15-$20 or so)

That’s a low steal of a deal auction. Over the years it’s $25-30 w higher potential for high grades at $40

17 minutes ago, littledoom said:
41 minutes ago, the blob said:

That’s a low steal of a deal auction. Over the years it’s $25-30 w higher potential for high grades at $40

I'm surprised it's more than $10, but I just like the book - and I've never found one in a dollar bin.