• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,635 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, the blob said:

Most of those are not/should not be dollar books and some of them never really were. The comic shop doesn't know what it is doing, doesn't have clientelle buying back issues, or just can't be bothered selling sub $15-20 books online.

I am wondering how these books hung around in the dollar box long enough to then be in a $100-$120 a long box? So my guess is that the store just doesn't have customers who buy back issues if this myriad of $10-$25 books were sitting in the dollar boxes already. Heck, Static 45 is a $75-$100 book.

Some shops can be oddly oriented, which is the case at my LCS. There's the main back issues... the first few times I went I stayed in this area. The new comics are in another room and the $1/$2 comics are in this kinda out of the way room. I haven't picked anything as good or near as much as @manetteska - let me know if you want to offload any of those What The--?! copies - but I picked up a NM copy of the 1st Mr. E(moved on from that quickly lol), 1st Typhoid Mary(3.0 but complete), 1st Marvel Zombies in Ultimate FF... I need to pick through their .50 issues. They're unbagged or boarded and packed very, very tight in some drawers. Doubt anything survives that storage in NM shape but should be worth a look next time I have time.

I'm just glad they have dollar bins at all. Only 1 of the area LCS's here has one at all

I dunno, 1st lady bullseye, cap 217 , old man logan, static 45. and several others have been $ a while. Are those Hughes WWs? Those are hit or miss I'm not really thinking about the bulk star wars or 3 million thors. 

9 hours ago, the blob said:

Most of those are not/should not be dollar books and some of them never really were. The comic shop doesn't know what it is doing, doesn't have clientelle buying back issues, or just can't be bothered selling sub $15-20 books online.

I am wondering how these books hung around in the dollar box long enough to then be in a $100-$120 a long box? So my guess is that the store just doesn't have customers who buy back issues if this myriad of $10-$25 books were sitting in the dollar boxes already. Heck, Static 45 is a $75-$100 book.

These boxes had never been out before this special sale or con. They were totally unpicked and had been sitting since they were pulled off the rack as unsold new releases or in the case of the Static/Power Girl deal just boxes of bulk that the seller had bought and not gone through. 

5 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

These boxes had never been out before this special sale or con. They were totally unpicked and had been sitting since they were pulled off the rack as unsold new releases or in the case of the Static/Power Girl deal just boxes of bulk that the seller had bought and not gone through. 

ahh, that's very different for sure. i read the posts as saying these were dollar box books that he further discounted for a sale. 

On 12/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, the blob said:

I know of one store where I've pulled crazy stuff out of their dollar bins; because until a couple years ago if it wasn't at least a $20 book they just didn't care.  Even now all their floor stuff is $10 or less that I've seen.  I once pulled about 30 10cent DC's from their box and regret I didn't have more spare cash because I only got about half of them.

Got this one from their dollar bin, for example.  This was the weekend they sold the 9.0 Action #1, I like to claim I got the second best book they sold that weekend:

Fantastic_Four_066.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
typo

Just bought 180 dollar books. I will show the cherry picked best ones here to make it look like I did great. Not thrilled that after I counted them out loud he counted half of them and was a bit rough as most had no bags or boards. I was careful to pick sharp ones. We shall see if they still are.

I picked up a lot of the detective and actions leading up to and after 1000. I figured I can't miss bad at $1 on those. I wish I had a better idea of which minor key Batman's have popped. He has a long box from the 90s to present. I have a basic idea, but probably don't know a lot of $8-15 ones.

This was fun. 

TotJ #2 is the 1st app of Freedon Nadd. In the before times, I’d leave it in the box, but in the current atmosphere and at $0.75 each, I couldn’t pass it up.

158C99F0-2761-45E3-AB6D-E212F5FEEA7C.thumb.jpeg.dad0773c9c802edf727d5d4c2324b679.jpeg

Edited by awakeintheashes

7 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

Scored this for a buck today.  I didn’t realize it was a flip book until recently and remembered seeing the other side showing in the bin the last time I was there.  I swung back by today and it was still there.  

456E100F-C554-4E6A-A262-8671991DB6CF.jpeg

Rebellion 0... it was only a quarter when it came out and only .75 cents when I bought my last two copies!