• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,636 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

So...going through a small collection I just purchased for much less than $1 per book. Not modern, but...

D38956A5-8375-47E6-B754-FAF5A6809826.thumb.jpeg.294ea7a5cf9ae9df5101877536593a86.jpeg

Will be going through the rest of the books later and will post any other highlights. 

Stop robbing little old ladies. If the rest of the collection consists of 4000 copies of Ravage 2099 #3 I am not impressed.

18 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

So does that mean tmnt #46 is the first space usagi? Concept sketches aren't true appearances. Collectible but more valuable? I don't think so. My opinion, you are entitled to yours. 

It is what it is. Just accept it. It doesn't make your 400 copies of YA 1 less valuable

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

Stop robbing little old ladies. If the rest of the collection consists of 4000 copies of Ravage 2099 #3 I am not impressed.

Lol found a Sandman #8 and some early Turtles right after I posted that pic. Will have more after I work through the rest of the piles 

25 minutes ago, the blob said:

It is what it is. Just accept it. It doesn't make your 400 copies of YA 1 less valuable

I don't have any dude. I'm saying no one is making that argument with a similar situation with tmnt #46-47. I don't accept it, but that's why I said "my opinion" I had one copy I let go a 2 years ago I think. 

Edited by maidenmate91

5 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

So...going through a small collection I just purchased for much less than $1 per book. Not modern, but...

D38956A5-8375-47E6-B754-FAF5A6809826.thumb.jpeg.294ea7a5cf9ae9df5101877536593a86.jpeg

Will be going through the rest of the books later and will post any other highlights. 

Got through some Aliens and Predator and the TMNT. There was a #1...fifth print, but still a #1. 
62882B69-D937-4036-805B-92915AE7C660.thumb.jpeg.98e587c5ea03d31094a9c6a678d3590c.jpeg01C96CB6-DBFD-4E78-8BC3-D4C8A050000C.thumb.jpeg.1c233e634387b17524f450208902eb96.jpeg

more to come...

Just now, maidenmate91 said:

That Tmnt #7 2nd print Krang variant is quite valuable as well. 

Thanks. It’s a small collection but the bags are in desperate need of replacing, so sorting out everything is taking some time. Think something leaked into part of his collection but luckily the books survived. 

There’s about 200-300 books, and for $200, I’ll take it. 

Just now, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks. It’s a small collection but the bags are in desperate need of replacing, so sorting out everything is taking some time. Think something leaked into part of his collection but luckily the books survived. 

There’s about 200-300 books, and for $200, I’ll take it. 

Amazing deal already. Congratulations!

5 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

Amazing deal already. Congratulations!

Yeah. Couldn’t believe it. Thanks. Think it’s my reward for not going off on someone who sold a collection out from under me last week.

We literally set the time for pick for last Monday and over the weekend it was marked as sold. I asked if it had sold to someone else and was told it was picked up on Saturday. I bit my lip and said “oh bummer”.  But, I was real salty. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

25 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I will allow it! And who sells books for a dime?!?

seriously, the bags and boards cost more than that.

i don't even know where to start to find collections like that in the wilderness. in my neck of the woods i'd be worried about coming to an address and getting jumped at gunpoint. 

i did have a guy sell me comics when I was selling at my yardsale. he came around and sold me a box for $25. some decent stuff in there. I should have given him my # for any future sales.

9 hours ago, the blob said:
9 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

i don't even know where to start to find collections like that in the wilderness. in my neck of the woods i'd be worried about coming to an address and getting jumped at gunpoint. 

i did have a guy sell me comics when I was selling at my yardsale. he came around and sold me a box for $25. some decent stuff in there. I should have given him my # for any future sales.

Well majority were not bagged and boarded. He apparently thought he raided the books of anything worth
value. It just goes to show everyone misses something. In this case it was quite a few, but it was about 30 boxes
I went thru so I bought 95 books. 

9 hours ago, the blob said:

In your neck of the woods I would be worried too.

9 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Its happened before, but its been awhile. Just seller trying to dump inventory cheap. I am sure
 you have bought boxes at that price at least once. The one I thought was really cool was the 
GL 9 newsstand never seen one before. Probably not worth, but maybe $20, but thought it was
neat.

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its happened before, but its been awhile. Just seller trying to dump inventory cheap. I am sure
 you have bought boxes at that price at least once. The one I thought was really cool was the 
GL 9 newsstand never seen one before. Probably not worth, but maybe $20, but thought it was
neat.

Boxes at that price? Absolutely. I thought the guy just set up with some longs selling them at a dime!

3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Boxes at that price? Absolutely. I thought the guy just set up with some longs selling them at a dime!

Yeah that works out to around $25-30 box. Its what one of my LCS will pay for junk 90s books. I doubt it
possible in this day in time, but maybe next year again. 

No the books were $.10 a piece he had 30 long boxes of stuff. There is probably some more stuff in there
that is valuable, but I don't know Manga or Indys as well so there was box or two of those as well as a box
of Kung Fu related Indys as well. 

Those MM 6 and 7 books are hotcakes right now. I sold one set in under 15 min last night. Its been a good
month. My problem now has a part time seller is time. I am sure many more are like me when they get home
from work they have several auctions/bins to pack up at once. By 8AM this morning I already had 5 for tonight.
2 years ago I would have been lucky to pack up 5 orders in a week sometimes. Had all these issues occurred in about 2 years from now when I can retire I would have really cleaned up.

Edited by fastballspecial