• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,636 posts in this topic

pulled Batman 635 for $7.99.. it’s on top of my stack.. the witch of a store owner takes it and says it’s not 7.99.. it’s $100. F u ! 

(the shop has been closed for many years now)

I have Superman 75 Platinum in my pile .. one of the employees who’s a “partner” at the store tells me no one will touch my stack. The employees all have to leave to eat lunch so they kick me out. I come back to find the 75 missing. I ask the owner about it and he says he pulled it.. what an A hole

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

pulled Batman 635 for $7.99.. it’s on top of my stack.. the witch of a store owner takes it and says it’s not 7.99.. it’s $100. F u ! 

I have Superman 75 Platinum in my pile .. one of the employees who’s a “partner” at the store tells me no one will touch my stack. The employees all have to leave to eat lunch so they kick me out. I come back to find the 75 missing. I ask the owner about it and he says he pulled it.. what an A hole

I go to a shop once a year to grab all the free comic day books. That owner likes to look up the going rate online, that's how he prices his books. I take him up a freaking huge stack of books to price that I have absolutely zero interest in buying while I talk to a acquaintance that works there. Keep waiting for the day to come that the owner catches on but it never happens. If I wanted to pay Ebay prices I would just buy it on ebay

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

Exactly. Long story short, was at a store (physical store) where back issues are $2 each (and clearly labeled as such). I pulled out several copies of a hot comic. Took them up and the owner said it’s a limit of one — even for 5 year old back issues. I put the extra copies back and bought one . Went back to the store and all the other copies are gone; they are now up on his eBay site at auction. Feel like I should get some sort of commission. 

You guys are nice. I might not have put them back as carefully as I picked them out. And for sure, no matter what I would of won those auctions. 

22 hours ago, manetteska said:

Exactly. Long story short, was at a store (physical store) where back issues are $2 each (and clearly labeled as such). I pulled out several copies of a hot comic. Took them up and the owner said it’s a limit of one — even for 5 year old back issues. I put the extra copies back and bought one . Went back to the store and all the other copies are gone; they are now up on his eBay site at auction. Feel like I should get some sort of commission. 

Would like to point out there are actually good book stores out there as well that will do something like that.  I know one store where I was a regular customer years ago.  Mostly regular books, but some comics. At least twice, I found something on the shelf that should have been priced much higher that I wasn't interested in or already had.  When I pointed it out to the owner and they verified it or recognized they had missed it, they figured out what the correct price should be, took their normal "pay 40% of our sell price", deducted the list price, and credited me the difference, as if I had bought the books and then sold them back to them immediately. 

I wish I lived where I could get to that store regularly still...

On 7/2/2020 at 9:26 PM, Myowncollector said:
On 7/2/2020 at 7:36 PM, littledoom said:

I go to a shop once a year to grab all the free comic day books. That owner likes to look up the going rate online, that's how he prices his books. I take him up a freaking huge stack of books to price that I have absolutely zero interest in buying while I talk to a acquaintance that works there. Keep waiting for the day to come that the owner catches on but it never happens. If I wanted to pay Ebay prices I would just buy it on ebay

So you waste his time because you don't agree with how he prices? Its his store I would imagine he can price how he wants.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:24 PM, OtherEric said:
On 7/2/2020 at 7:22 PM, manetteska said:

Would like to point out there are actually good book stores out there as well that will do something like that.  I know one store where I was a regular customer years ago.  Mostly regular books, but some comics. At least twice, I found something on the shelf that should have been priced much higher that I wasn't interested in or already had.  When I pointed it out to the owner and they verified it or recognized they had missed it, they figured out what the correct price should be, took their normal "pay 40% of our sell price", deducted the list price, and credited me the difference, as if I had bought the books and then sold them back to them immediately. 

I wish I lived where I could get to that store regularly still...

I've got a local store that lets me dig thru collections they bring in. I buy several books and I hand him several books he can flip that I have no interest
in, I dont deal in or not my area.  He cuts me great deals on my books and I make him a nice chunk of change for him. I did this for him several times. 

As long as I pay cash when I come in I get a deal on any books I buy. Long story short if you are not a :censored: to the shop owner it pays
large dividends over time. 

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So you waste his time because you don't agree with how he prices? Its his store I would imagine he can price how he wants.

For sure he can price how he wants. Just because he took the time to look up and decide what to charge for the book doesn't mean I am obligated to buy it. I would actually buy something if it was priced fair. I can't imagine standing around for a half hour and waiting for prices and then willing pay the highest buy it now asking prices he found on ebay. I guess plenty of others do though? Or maybe he doesn't consider it a waste of time and worth it for clueless people who come along. 

4 hours ago, Myowncollector said:
8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

For sure he can price how he wants. Just because he took the time to look up and decide what to charge for the book doesn't mean I am obligated to buy it. I would actually buy something if it was priced fair. I can't imagine standing around for a half hour and waiting for prices and then willing pay the highest buy it now asking prices he found on ebay. I guess plenty of others do though? Or maybe he doesn't consider it a waste of time and worth it for clueless people who come along. 

That's not really the issue here. I would think my time as a shop owner would be valuable.
You already said you have no interest in buying them so you are wasting his time.

I see no reason to do this. Either negotiate with him or don't come back to vote with your wallet.

40 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

That's not really the issue here. I would think my time as a shop owner would be valuable.
You already said you have no interest in buying them so you are wasting his time.

I see no reason to do this. Either negotiate with him or don't come back to vote with your wallet.

I am just a hole who is easily amused. I will find some spec books that I know he will price at 2 or 3 bucks. But I am not going to stand around waiting for him to look them up. That is wasting my time so I will find 20 or 30 books that got hot and put them in my stack as well. If he likes looking things up and wasting my time he can look those up as well.  I will go eat or run some errands, come back in a couple hours and pay for my $2 books. I am doing him a favor alerting him of books of value. Except he doesn't sell online so the books go back into the long boxes until I come back again. 

Adventures in the $4 box :p I went to a comic store I usually don't visit very often as it's pretty far away but today it paid off, I picked up these 3 for cover price. The Batman #89 must have been a mistake on their part as I found it amoungst a stack of the 3rd prints all at the same price so this somehow landed up in there. The 2 hip-hop variants were great finds, snatched them up so fast while I was going through the box

7Ry70Ua.jpg

Qkv8h4J.jpg

IIxFpLG.jpg

On 7/10/2020 at 10:25 PM, BishopT said:

Some modest dollar box finds from today. The Joey Ryan comic is a bit of an oddity, and I have no idea what the bottom two even are.

E1268388-CD99-492A-B2DE-469A74AA3B46.jpeg

They're self-published (as "Like a Virus Productions") comics written by Dallas-area author Ken Lowery, who is maybe better known for his presence on Twitter (among other things, as creator of the Fake AP Stylebook account that randomly acquired an awful lot of attention at one point). Lowery distributes most of his comics exclusively as digital publications on Comixology, but there are at least a few he's done physical print runs for, as far back as 2013.

Offering (2016) is the older of these two, a sort of EC-horror tribute book, co-written and illustrated by Kevin Warren (probably best known as the artist for Copernicus Jones: Robot Detective). The Night Driver (2017) has art by Gavin Guidry and lettering done by Micah Myers.

Lowery's comics are firmly modern indie stuff. I don't think the print runs were ever very large, but conversely, the market for them probably isn't either.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:41 AM, IbukiLord said:

Adventures in the $4 box :p I went to a comic store I usually don't visit very often as it's pretty far away but today it paid off, I picked up these 3 for cover price. The Batman #89 must have been a mistake on their part as I found it amoungst a stack of the 3rd prints all at the same price so this somehow landed up in there. The 2 hip-hop variants were great finds, snatched them up so fast while I was going through the box

7Ry70Ua.jpg

Qkv8h4J.jpg

IIxFpLG.jpg

Disqualified. If this was a finds in under $5 boxes, there would be 1000 more posts!