• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

In your neck of the woods I would be worried too.

it is a concern everywhere, really. i used to know more cops who would go out for a drive on a day off for sh&&ts and giggles if I wanted to view a collection, but I am out of touch with them, and my 15 year old at 5' 10 132 or so is not all that intimidating. i would never carry money with me I suppose.

1 hour ago, Namtak said:

Wow what a dollar box first spidey 2099 for a dollar?wow

To be honest though, it and the night wing have a few ticks on them, but :takeit:

Lol it was fun, I went by the used bookstore and looked around, then asked the owner if there were more comics that he got in that were ready to go out on the floor!

He said funny you should ask and then let me put them out there for him, and there were like 5-6 12 inch tall stacks  :x

That was fun!  :tink:so I got 1st dibs ha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I need to visit some places. The place I buy my bags and boards from is completely picked over (mostly by me) and they don't seem to be putting new cheap stuff out. I probably need to revisist my other spot around me, but last time i was there I spent about $150, and, frankly, it was mostly long term stuff. not much in the way of immediate winners. I'm hoping something pops in the 2-3 years each I bought of Batman, Detective, and Action from 2017-2019.

I spent 2 hours digging through 40 magazine boxes at a shop and bought 160 50 cent books. I'm really hoping The New 52 Batwoman Bounces back (10 copies), black adam/issues (7) too.. Some low print late milestones, y the last 7, stars stripes 4, doctor voodoo 1, Hawkeye 7 2d print..pictured are basically all the books that have a good shot at $5+. Not so exciting. The Batwoman was doing $20 a while back. So.. There's a reason the others were in the 50 cent box. Not terrible stuff. I picked up a lot of new 52 Justice league darks, batgirls...

20210417_205142.jpg

On 4/4/2021 at 7:22 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah. Couldn’t believe it. Thanks. Think it’s my reward for not going off on someone who sold a collection out from under me last week.

We literally set the time for pick for last Monday and over the weekend it was marked as sold. I asked if it had sold to someone else and was told it was picked up on Saturday. I bit my lip and said “oh bummer”.  But, I was real salty. 

Insane pickup.  How did you find out about the collection?  

16 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Insane pickup.  How did you find out about the collection?  

Facebook Marketplace. That was my 2nd score in under a month. Takes a while, but eventually you find the people unloading their childhood or downsizing their lives.

Just now, Wolverinex said:

congrats again

Thanks! Facebook proper makes me want to stab myself in the neck...but the marketplace is a different story. At least near me, Craigslist is filled with 1000 people offering to buy collections and 2 people selling a collection of drek for thousands of dollars. So, facebook is where I pay most of my attention and look to build relationships with people selling their stuff.

Just now, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks! Facebook proper makes me want to stab myself in the neck...but the marketplace is a different story. At least near me, Craigslist is filled with 1000 people offering to buy collections and 2 people selling a collection of drek for thousands of dollars. So, facebook is where I pay most of my attention and look to build relationships with people selling their stuff.

Nice!  yeah, I  hate facebook and that's probably why I never find these sellers

53 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

That right there is what many never understand. Buying/Selling comics is about relationships. Some of my best deals were that way.

Ok, 10 years ago, I am cheating. So my shop had the variant up top for $10, couldn't sell it at $8 either, gave up,  and I scooped out of the dollar box for either $1 or 15 for $10. I guess it sells for $40-50 now, but I don't see a lot of them.

20210423_023758_HDR.thumb.jpg.8f0930b9346bc33e634084ead8fe3a59.jpg

20210409_200326.jpg

Edited by the blob