• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,628 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2020 at 9:51 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Back home at my local flea.

Shocked (and thrilled) that the Predator was a first print. 500ish Star Wars cards for $20, just because they were in the picture. 

7E40A33A-69F1-4875-B691-18B4504A98FE.jpeg

I need to start checking out flea markets outside of town. I find great stuff rarely at the two here.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:03 PM, BishopT said:

I need to start checking out flea markets outside of town. I find great stuff rarely at the two here.

All about timing as there are plenty of people looking now. If you're not first to the boxes, you generally won't get anything, 

I visited a comic shop today I haven't been to since probably 1997. When I was in college, I'd go to this shop and it was like a hoarder's paradise/nightmare - magazines and comics piled everywhere. Back then you couldn't get into the overflowing long boxes because you'd have to pick up giant stacks of stuff. New books were stacked in piles on the floor, wherever they fit.

Today, the shop is super clean and super organized - back issues all nicely boxed, a proper "new this week" rack on the wall, shelves of wall books behind the counter. The old owner passed away years ago, but the new guys seem to be doing a great job. It looked like an entirely different place!

Anyway, I picked up a couple more new bat-books, and then I found this neat Shadow of the Bat #1 set in a $1 bin, still polybagged. Comes with some cool inserts - I looked at pics online, I want to keep this one bagged for now just because it's kind of cool. I also found Spiderman Unlimited #1 - not in a dollar bin - but at a really fair price for its condition, which is outstanding.

Shadow Bat 1 Set.jpeg

SM Unlimited 1.jpeg

I can't fit everything into one picture but I had quite a day at the LCS today (these books were all less than $3):

Betty and Veronica 320

Archie's Pals n Gals 161 (3rd app Cheryl Blossom)

Harbinger 1-4, all w/ coupon

Wonder Woman 63

Icon 1 sealed in polybag

Hardware 1 sealed in polybag x2

Aliens 2 (of 6) 1st print

Alpha Flight 33

Alpha Flight 106

Miracleman 18

3 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I can't fit everything into one picture but I had quite a day at the LCS today (these books were all less than $3):

Betty and Veronica 320

Archie's Pals n Gals 161 (3rd app Cheryl Blossom)

Wonder Woman 63

Icon 1 sealed in polybag

Hardware 1 sealed in polybag x2

Aliens 2 (of 6) 1st print

Alpha Flight 33

Alpha Flight 106

Miracleman 18

Edit it to which ones were actually $1. I'd be interested in seeing that. 

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Wtf, what comic shop sells harbinger 1 for cover price...

It was a set of 1-4 for $10...I have no idea what they were looking at to price it that way...and it wasn't until after I bought it that I checked for the coupon. At $10, I couldn't go wrong even if it didn't have it and even disregarding 2-4. I thought there was no chance it would have it, but sure enough, they all did.

The B&V 320 was $2

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

It was a set of 1-4 for $10...I have no idea what they were looking at to price it that way...and it wasn't until after I bought it that I checked for the coupon. At $10, I couldn't go wrong even if it didn't have it and even disregarding 2-4. I thought there was no chance it would have it, but sure enough, they all did.

The B&V 320 was $2

That is insane.  Congrats!

3 hours ago, PeterPark said:
6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Wtf, what comic shop sells harbinger 1 for cover price...

That comic shop sounds like it must run as a charity.  I'd love to find a comic shop with no clue about comics. lol

When I saw "Harbinger 1-4" in this thread, I was like ... yeah, sure, the 2012 series isn't all that great. I mean, #1 doesn't deserve to be in the bargain bin, but that's why we have these sorts of threads, right? It's not like anyone would clearance out the 1992 series, surely...

On 8/26/2020 at 11:21 PM, PeterPark said:

Oh. Nope.

That's patently ridiculous, even if they were 4/$10 and so not technically dollar books.