Fake CGC Books
4 4

149 posts in this topic

217 posts

Are there fake slabbed CGC books out there?  I just saw a 9.6 graded book with rounded corners, multiple spine damage and a DATE stamp on cover rated a 9.6.  How is this possible?  Its on Ebay now FF13  for 25000...

217 posts

What about this one i sent in for cleaning and slabbing?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e6.jpg.4fa695f6e643ca094a67c4c7562c3608.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e7.jpg.e8e42ebb949e99d6f2b7f006159c2557.jpg

Im sure its a 5.0 worth 500 buck max...

217 posts

To me the date stamp is far far worse than any crease...

217 posts

This 41 year old book got dinged for fingerprints but a book with an inked date stamp got the same grade... hmmm interesting... no comments huh?

2oh82N2SRAmwLThvVgvWzg_thumb_708.jpg.a9a10050c03e0b5488a68a76c42997bd.jpg

2,398 posts
2 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Are there fake slabbed CGC books out there?

Yes, there have been cases where sellers switch out labels. I believe the most recent thread is here: 

However, I highly doubt the seller you're referring to has done this. As far as I know, he is legitimate, an overstreet advisor etc. I believe he brought one of the Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0's to market and his name is Darren Adams. Just type Pristinecomics into the board search function and there's plenty to read.

Or you can contact him and ask: http://pristinecomics.com/contact-us-1/2

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

What about this one i sent in for cleaning and slabbing?

What about it? 

Edited by Foley

29,567 posts
18 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

This 41 year old book got dinged for fingerprints but a book with an inked date stamp got the same grade... hmmm interesting... no comments huh?

2oh82N2SRAmwLThvVgvWzg_thumb_708.jpg.a9a10050c03e0b5488a68a76c42997bd.jpg

Dranzer

217 posts

I don't know what Drazer means... Is it a drivel book to make money off of movie hype ok i agree.  BTW i saw some guys like Godzilla ! here and i put in garbage many years ago along with She Hulk 1 etc  But hey I am asking you if you think a date stamped book deserves a 9.6 EVER

2,398 posts

9.6's can have date stamps. Again, there are threads about that topic right here on these very boards.

217 posts

Good because you can buy them all, I sure aint, i hate them...but hey a fingerprint or mini crease that is of course intolerable.  I got some books here that it looks like a dog took a bite inside but the story is not affected so should sell for max price...

6,276 posts
27 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I don't know what Drazer means... Is it a drivel book to make money off of movie hype ok i agree.  BTW i saw some guys like Godzilla ! here and i put in garbage many years ago along with She Hulk 1 etc  But hey I am asking you if you think a date stamped book deserves a 9.6 EVER

Yes, date stamps are a part of the distribution process from the early eras and are a historic footnote. While occasional poor placement can be a visual detractor on a particular copy of a book they should generally not adversely impact grade.

217 posts

Its a defect, I don't care.  If all books had I would change my mind.

155 posts
Just now, Karl Liebl said:

Well, you sure seem like a nice fella! A fellow collector tries to tell you why a date stamp sometimes doesn't reduce a grade and respond with "I don't care"...maybe listen instead of only worrying about what you like or want....(thumbsu

6,276 posts
2 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

You're entitled to your opinion of course; don't add them to your collection. But consider for your own benefit -- the general market disagrees; you get a deal on a nice book with an unobtrusive date stamp, you sell or trade it for a healthy margin.

I feel the same way you do about signatures -- how is writing not a defect/defacement? -- but I won't let it stop me from moving a signed copy to some one who appreciates it.

We are a hobby of niches. Enjoy the hobby your way and don't let others make you crazy with what they do (thumbsu

217 posts

Ok we can agree to disagree...  I don't like any markings or even signatures.  Everyone gets what they like.  I am not being insulting.  I just felt a marked up comic book is not as a good as a touched one.  I don't agree with the grading so be it

6,276 posts
20 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Ok we can agree to disagree...  I don't like any markings or even signatures.  Everyone gets what they like.  I am not being insulting.  I just felt a marked up comic book is not as a good as a touched one.  I don't agree with the grading so be it

That makes total sense to me too -- More to my point, I'm just saying recognize the opportunity in it for you when it comes to opinion differences. I'll often take a good deal on something I do not like (sig, detached CF or cover) IF I know turning it over in a fair deal can make a collector of a different opinion happy and get me something I want as well.

I don't mean to argue with you or change your mind, just saying opportunity can lie in the gaps between tastes. 

I'm not a Deapool fan, but I once picked up a NM98 when the deal was good, figuring it would come in handy. I used it to trade to a dealer I know for an ASM 129 because he had a customer for the 98. I wanted the 129 because I knew a collector who needed it for his run, and I used it in a trade with him for an Avengers 1, which filled a run for me. I now think of varying acceptance of defects the same way. However, like you with date stamps, I am NOT the guy who will ever pay fmv for a sig book, because I disagree with the market. But I would take a bargain and move it to someone who would love it.

1,915 posts

I used to hate date stamps but after reading these boards a while I realized they are widely accepted and sometimes even sought after. So I must admit they've grown on me over the years. I still prefer a clean cover, but I think a stamp with my birth date would be pretty cool. 

750 posts

If you don't know what Dranzer means now, you'll never know what Dranzer means...

217 posts

And I don't care... but hey i WILL post my crappy FF13 for all to see when i get it back soon after pressing and slabbing.  I only hope its clean and thats good enough for me... Kirby