• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scan before or after CGC grading

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

New to the forum, joined up because I'm planning on selling some (~12) of my older Marvel comics and some early 90's comics. Recently sent in two test comics to CGC to learn the process and everything went well.

I have a scanner at home, I was wondering if I should scan my comics as that would offer more detail when I list them for sale. Should I do that before or after slabbing (CGC grading)? 

Thank you.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, El-Gato said:

Hello,

New to the forum, joined up because I'm planning on selling some (~12) of my older Marvel comics and some early 90's comics. Recently sent in two test comics to CGC to learn the process and everything went well.

I have a scanner at home, I was wondering if I should scan my comics as that would offer more detail when I list them for sale. Should I do that before or after slabbing (CGC grading)? 

Thank you.

Scan after the slab since that is what they will see when they buy it. Make sure you have a CCD scanner though or it won't scan properly. It will look blurry. They are really expensive to buy new, but you can usually find one pretty cheap on Ebay.

14 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yes.

Also scan before sending in so you have proof of condition if CGC mucks up your book. 

I second this part.

Scanning before can also be good for sale, as people may appreciate seeing it raw. It certainly can't hurt a sale.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, El-Gato said:

Hello,

Thank you.

Scan them before you submit so you have proof of condition in case something happens at CGC, then re-scan the slabbed copy when listing it for sale and if a potential buyer asks for a raw scan you'll have those available.  (shrug)

14 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Scan them before you submit so you have proof of condition in case something happens at CGC, then re-scan the slabbed copy when listing it for sale and if a potential buyer asks for a raw scan you'll have those available.  (shrug)

I do this and scan front and back of the book but that doesn't tell you what is going on inside.  A few times and I may have missed the flaws, books came back with some interior grade flaws that I could have sworn swear were not present when I subbed them.  One in particular had a loose CF.  I always count the pages and look at the interior but again could have missed it but no way to say if it happened at CGC or at a presser if you go that route.  If you have them pressed, they touch other hands, even CCS, so where do say damage may happened (shrug)

Leap of faith when the books leave your hands.

But I, 100% agree, at the very least, scan the book prior to submission.