• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blonde Phantom 16 ...what's the story?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So I sometimes save images of books that I like just as a reference or a trigger to what I might want to search to purchase in the future.  I purchased this 8.5 earlier this year.

I was looking thru my image file and found what looks to be the same book that was formerly residing in a 9.0 old label case.  What happened?  Was this book once owned by a boardie?

Check out "Nancy" on the "N" and the "D" in the title.  I hope I saved some $$ buying it at the 8.5 grade vs. the 9.0.  Either way, I really like this Phantom.

If you do know anything about what happened here, I'd be very interested in hearing it's story. 

Blonde Phantom 16 Timely Spring 47  85.jpg

Blonde Phantom 16 Timely Winter 1947  90.jpg

Sure looks to me to be the same book. Having just gone thru something similar, my guess is someone cracked it out and tried to press it into a 9.2, but missed. Maybe the presser dropped the book(looks like the lower left corner is slightly more rounded on the 8.5). Or Maybe it was the last book of the day and the grader was in a hurry and went low

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

9 hours ago, catman76 said:

It's just a weird made up number scale and different people interpret it differently?

There's a lot of truth to this. You could show the same comic book to three different professional graders and get three different grades. Considering that the "Nancy" copy was graded about 15 years apart, I'm not surprised at all by a .5 difference.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

There's a lot of truth to this. You could show the same comic book to three different professional graders and get three different grades. Considering that the "Nancy" copy was graded about 15 years apart, I'm not surprised at all by a .5 difference.

This flies in the face of the notion that CGC was tougher in their early days . . .

8 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

The solution is simple... we must find Nancy and ask her. (:

Seriously though, you've got a beautiful book either way.

Welcome to the BP16 8.5 Club! Here's mine...

269514-003.jpg

I like the registration on your so much more that mine. it looks great.  I'm very happy with mine, but having yours to compare, its a no brainer - super nice book!