• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Woolsey Fire and artists/collectors

9 posts in this topic

Hope all in the area of the Wooley Fire are OK. Any that have to evacuate were able to get out. I did read Guillermo del Toro had to leave their homes. Plus I saw on FB Jim Silke and Olivia were able to get out, both are in areas of evacuation but no fires yet. Not sure about Guillermo del Toro's home, I know from his traveling exhibit he is quite a collector not only of art but other horror related collectibles. Plus all the Hellboy art and the original art for Wrightson Frankenstein plates.

From Del Toro twitter:

"Evacuated last night. Bleak House and the collection may be endangered but the gift of life remains.
Thousand Oaks and Agoura are still in danger.
Malibu is being evacuated."

Edited by MagnusX

The flames were visible from my home.   I've seen many such fires over the decades I've been here but this one was bigger and spread faster than any in memory and caught many folk with little or no time to spare for things, valuable or not.

7 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Director Guillermo del Toro's home, which he calls Bleak House and which houses a collection of 700 pieces of art, survived the fire, del Toro wrote on Twitter. 

he said there was smoke damage. Not to make light of it, but Hellboy pieces might be better off with a whif of brimstone about them!  Very glad that he, his family, and his home are okay. It is brutal out there.

22 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Thanks Brian - We're right at the edge of Malibu so they cut off the PCH in front of our house, but didn't have to evacuate.   Hopefully the winds will keep it from spreading South.  I did re-locate most of my art to different locations around the city as a precaution.  That's one of the downsides of having a large collection of stuff.  My suggestion to people in case they are in an emergency like this - keep your art in binders so it's easier to move.  The larger framed pieces have been the toughest to move on short notice!

Glad you’re safe! Bluechip be good!