• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing tear seals and Color Touch

3 posts in this topic

I have a few PLOD GA slabbed books with the only restoration noted as having tear seals or slight color touch.  At some point, I plan on selling much of my collection and on some these believe getting them in a Universal label outweighs the cost of the restoration removal and possible loss in grade. 

The way I am understanding the CCS services and fees if I go with their service is a flat rate based on the tier.  And then obviously the cost of regrading with GCC.

I was curious if anyone has experience with resto removal for color touch and/or tear seals.  I forget on CT, can both professional and amateur CT be removed?

Biggest question - Does CCS guarantee after their service that the book will get a Universal label, given those are the only defects originally noted?

Thanks

Edited by telerites

The best candidates for restoration removal of color touch are books where the color touch is professional. A or B quality.  Amateur restoration almost always penetrates the paper. What this means is that professional color touch can be removed from the paper. Amateur color touch requires removing the paper. You have holes. 

I doubt there are any guarantees. However, from experience I have seen books that went to CCS for restoration removal (Color touch specifically) and when going through the regrading process were identified as restored. I called and the books were sent back to CCS for further restoration removal and books were graded universal.  This is from the Frequently asked questions on Restoration removal

"Although we work to achieve the best possible results, because of the unpredictable nature of removal, a particular outcome, including the comics’ grade, cannot be guaranteed."

I believe that "a particular outcome" would be interpreted as no guarantee of removal. 

Edited by Tony S