• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT Collected Hardbound

8 posts in this topic

I ordered this straight from Mirage Studios in 1988. Collected hardbound with dust sleeve. I believe it collects the first 10 issues. It's numbered 575/1000 and comes with a TMNT drawing by both Eastman and Laird. I can never find any for sale or that have been sold on any website. I'm trying to estimate the value of it. Most importantly, what exactly would the book be titled as; TMNT Hardbound limited blah, blah etc.? Can anyone help?tmnt1.thumb.JPG.9f1d7bc0519c16c5abad504f9766239b.JPG1912391055_tmnt3(2).thumb.JPG.70a4497d21e98ae208e76f7ebbac9aa0.JPG1495772559_tmnt3(1).thumb.JPG.d7001c57e3ced2b68e710d438decc78f.JPGtmnt4.thumb.JPG.b9c01c7348175a5337a292ca8d8338a6.JPGtmnt5.thumb.JPG.7dfaddf94ae89445bf5d9de310965bea.JPG

@MarkFaust

This was an early collected edition published directly by Mirage in 1988 collecting issues 1-11 and the 4 TMNT micro-series one-shots (no Fugitoid).  You can find a little info on it on the Mirage site here.  It was limited to 1,000 copies and as far as I know, each copy is signed and sketched by both Eastman and Laird.  The site also shows the official title to be "TMNT Collected Book Volume One Hardcover".

The very same contents were also printed in a softcover format as seen here.  These books did not come signed and I'm unsure of the size of the run, but I'm guessing there were more than 1,000 copies printed.  This one is often called the "TMNT Phone Book" due to its size.

As for the price of the hardcover you have, it really varies and has never really settled at any one price point.  Over the years, I've seen them sold both here and ebay for as low as about $250 and as much as about $900.  I can't really think of a reason for the fluctuations as they didn't seem to be related in either way to the 2012 cartoon, the IDW series, or the 2014 movie.  I've seen this book on a few dealer's walls at shows for $1k+, but I've seen it at multiple shows, so there doesn't seem to be any takers at that price.

Perhaps @rich_TMNT can provide some additional information.  He's got an extremely comprehensive collection/database of all things TMNT.

Thanks for the shout out, @greggy

Edited by Turtle
Title

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

@MarkFaust

This was an early collected edition published directly by Mirage in 1988 collecting issues 1-11 and the 4 TMNT micro-series one-shots (no Fugitoid).  You can find a little info on it on the Mirage site here.  It was limited to 1,000 copies and as far as I know, each copy is signed and sketched by both Eastman and Laird.  The site also shows the official title to be "TMNT Collected Book Volume One Hardcover".

The very same contents were also printed in a softcover format as seen here.  These books did not come signed and I'm unsure of the size of the run, but I'm guessing there were more than 1,000 copies printed.  This one is often called the "TMNT Phone Book" due to its size.

As for the price of the hardcover you have, it really varies and has never really settled at any one price point.  Over the years, I've seen them sold both here and ebay for as low as about $250 and as much as about $900.  I can't really think of a reason for the fluctuations as they didn't seem to be related in either way to the 2012 cartoon, the IDW series, or the 2014 movie.  I've seen this book on a few dealer's walls at shows for $1k+, but I've seen it at multiple shows, so there doesn't seem to be any takers at that price.

Perhaps @rich_TMNT can provide some additional information.  He's got an extremely comprehensive collection/database of all things TMNT.

Thanks for the shout out, @greggy

@Turtle thanks for the tag...you've nailed most of the details about this book.   @MarkFaust It's TMNT Vol. I Collected Book Volume One Hardcover.  This was the only HC version but it was reprinted as TPB a few times over the years...see them all here. I do believe this HC was sold directly by Mirage and not through Diamond and it originally came with a dust jacket (although some are now missing this when re-sold).  There should be a COA page in the back as well.  I was thinking that every one of these HCs came signed with sketches by Eastman & Laird on the interior but I'm not positive about that.  Those I've seen for sale in the past I think had similar sketches and signatures.  There's one on eBay right now     

You can see my copy here.  

Edited by rich_TMNT