• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The number of books that disappear per year?

53 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I once read on the internet that 10,321 books are destroyed every year. Can't remember where I read that though. :devil:

I would be happy to cite that source for you :baiting: it was an artist of bootylicious propriety  :D

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I would be happy to cite that source for you :baiting: it was an artist of bootylicious propriety  :D

1 (40) (1).jpg

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is the shame box the same kind of thing as captain hooks boo box?

6d162342-9892-488d-ac7b-00b0b8ef0626.gif

2mbdw0.jpg

43 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Me too, and when I do I always say - sometimes there is an end-user.

I'd be willing to guess at least one major key or more for the following reasons:

1 per natural disaster: hurricanes, floods, wildfire 

1 per year for shipping loss: package destroyed, damaged in shipping, lost at sea, air, or roadway accidents, 

1 per year for domestic issues: pet mauling of comic, toddler mauling of comic, divorce/breakup revenge mauling of comics, ignorance of comics having them tossed out with the trash.

11 hours ago, oldrover said:

How about the value of the books that were intentionally disappeared? 

2A16E5A1-4FED-4ECB-9AB1-408F98BEFEF6.jpeg.cbd10c723f08d2614553356371d4067d.jpeg

The mind boggles.

I see Spellbound #22 May 1954 and Weird Science #21 Sept-Oct-1953 :( 

on tv they showed some poor fellows house that had burned down. he had returned for a safe. (it was not revealed if it was a fireproof safe or not). the firemen came over with a sledge hammer and busted it open. the papers inside were mostly ok but had burned slightly on the corners. if they had been comics they would be considered ruined. bank or other important papers they were ok. i know there is a tread around here somewhere about keeping comics in fireproof safes and how it might not be ok (or this is my biased memory as I prefer Bank Safe Deposit Boxes)  I'll try to find thread and link it.

EDIT: I can't find the fire proof safe thread. But I've also been drinking a bit today. Not sure if one has to do with the other.(shrug)

Edited by NoMan

7 minutes ago, NoMan said:

on tv they showed some poor fellows house that had burned down. he had returned for a safe. (it was not revealed if it was a fireproof safe or not). the firemen came over with a sledge hammer and busted it open. the papers inside were mostly ok but had burned slightly on the corners. if they had been comics they would be considered ruined. bank or other important papers they were ok. i know there is a tread around here somewhere about keeping comics in fireproof safes and how it might not be ok (or this is my biased memory as I prefer Bank Safe Deposit Boxes)  I'll try to find thread and link it.

If I ever own a house, and it goes down in flames, I'm going down with the ship.

IIRC, avoiding fire-proof safes + comics is due to staples rusting from material contamination, and 'improper' oxidation.

51 minutes ago, NoMan said:

EDIT: I can't find the fire proof safe thread. But I've also been drinking a bit today. Not sure if one has to do with the other.(shrug)

This may be the one you're thinking of?

I didn't destroy any Spidey 129s this year... but I'd estimate I destroyed roughly 15,000 comics total.

Around 2,000 that were strip cover returns, and another 13,000 that weren't worthy of the dollar boxes and went straight in the trash compactor.