• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decisions, Decisions...
2 2

37 posts in this topic

So I have the best kind of problem.  I publish a line of comics called Sitcomics and I asked Ron Frenz (Spider-Man, Thor, etc) to do a cover for me for the upcoming issue (#3.2) of a series called Startup, featuring interiors by Craig Rousseau.  The chapter introduces a new, all-business assassin named Pinstripes who wears a 3-piece suit of armor and carries around a coffee mug that says "World's Greatest Assassin".  Pinstripes cover dialogue is an homage to They Live.  Pinstripes will say: Startup, I have come here to drink coffee and eliminate you.  And this helmet doesn't have a hole for coffee.

As you see, Ron sends me both of these roughs to choose from but I can only pick one.  I love them both but I'm leaning toward one over the other and I wondered if any of you can pitch in your two cents by voting for the one you're more likely to pick up off the rack.   You're welcome to explain your reasons but you don't have to.  So which one do you prefer?  "Rooftop" or "Office"

420051604_RonCover1.png.24b7a39619a145a78e1fe2e830aab1b3.png2000381345_RonCover2.png.9642b32c0515331c710340b4bdadf678.png

I prefer idea B. The character you're introducing should be in the foreground. I also prefer the way the diagonals work in that one, drawing your eye towards the middle (helped by Pinstripe pointing). 2c 

The first one looks more exciting. 

The second one looks sexier. 

Tough call. I really do think it's a coin-flip. My brain keeps going back and forth, but my initial impression was in favor of the first design. 

14 minutes ago, Sitcomics said:

Here's Ron's fully penciled version of the chosen cover that'll be on sale in 2019

217078662_Startupcover.thumb.jpg.f859e9133ecb3a444fa881292290e6e7.jpg

That does look good (thumbsu

I had my doubts cause I kind of liked A better, but this B version is great, I'd pick up this book  :foryou:

Now that I can see buildings in the background through the window... etc I'm impressed :)

Your first mistake was Ron Frenz.   Plenty of better artists out there to get your book off the ground.  Why is deadshot trying to kill Lilandra?

Edited by Pirate

I definitely like the office piece more. Wise choice, IMO. One question though, if I may... Why does he carry a cup of coffee if he can't drink it with the helmet on? 

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I definitely like the office piece more. Wise choice, IMO. One question though, if I may... Why does he carry a cup of coffee if he can't drink it with the helmet on? 

a "tongue in cheek" gimmick. The only way to defeat him is to make him spill the coffee. (shrug)