• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I regret not buying from the Davis Crippen Collection
3 3

106 posts in this topic

I have a question: is there a Crippen out there that boasts best certified copy in comparison to other Pedigree copies? Or second to only the Church or Allentown copy or other pedigree renowned for its conditions? 

18 minutes ago, sagii said:

I have a question: is there a Crippen out there that boasts best certified copy in comparison to other Pedigree copies? Or second to only the Church or Allentown copy or other pedigree renowned for its conditions? 

I think that is hard to say for all books, Corey.  Some peds haven't been slabbed so you can't compare across the peds.  For instance, my BT #15 is the highest graded as the Crippen and the only ped that has a sale recorded on GPA.

Most of the peds I have in my collection Crippens and a few of the D copies which I think were stolen early on and drifted into the marketplace.  The reason I have more of that ped is I believe they weren't looked upon as one of the top tier peds so I could more easily afford them and so many of them have a dust shadow (at least some of the ones I have and others I have seen).  Not to say that I am not happy to have them though.  But compared to some of the others, I may take a lower graded non-Crippen against the Crippen.  

0911121821201.jpg

Edited by telerites

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I think that is hard to say for all books, Corey.  Some peds haven't been slabbed so you can't compare across the peds.  For instance, my BT #15 is the highest graded as the Crippen and the only ped that has a sale recorded on GPA.

Most of the peds I have in my collection Crippens and a few of the D copies which I think were stolen early on and drifted into the marketplace.  The reason I have more of that ped is I believe they weren't looked upon as one of the top tier peds so I could more easily afford them and so many of them have a dust shadow (at least some of the ones I have and others I have seen).  Not to say that I am not happy to have them though.  But compared to some of the others, I may take a lower graded non-Crippen against the Crippen.  

0911121821201.jpg

Cool book Jeff, and insightful analysis.  I too have more of that Ped in my collection than others and I feel you are spot on as to why they seem more attainable when compared to others. 

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I enjoyed grading & seeing all those books come in.  It's not every day you get to see a collection of this magnitude.  One book that stood out to me at the time was the Superman #1 copy.  I was grading the book & when I turned the book over it had a huge black spot on the back, like it was ran over by a car or used to stop an oil leak!

Such a historic collection! Young Davis started at the age of 9 and collected each and every issue ... Must have been a great source to obtain some rare* books - not necessarily keys - from, I take it.

* "rare" in the sense of virtually unseen

Edited by Pickie

A comic store in Nyack, New York also acquired a large number of these books, many of which I was fortunate to buy in the early 1990's. A number of Catmans, including the 28 and mostly esoteric Golden Age books. I passed on the Catman choking Hitler cover because the cover was detached. I would regret this decision later.  These books also were sold through Heritage Auctions in 2007. The Catman 28 graded at 6.0 and is still the highest graded copy, last sold in 2007.

Edited by misterrmystery

37 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

A comic store in Nyack, New York also acquired a large number of these books, many of which I was fortunate to buy in the early 1990's. A number of Catmans, including the 28 and mostly esoteric Golden Age books. I passed on the Catman choking Hitler cover because the cover was detached. I would regret this decision later.  These books also were sold through Heritage Auctions in 2007. The Catman 28 graded at 6.0 and is still the highest graded copy, last sold in 2007.

Thanks! I just looked that copy up on HA.com, great! 

It was the Crippen copy of "My Confession" #7 that made me think of this topic this morning, btw.

4 hours ago, sagii said:

The Crippen collection  had more romance books than most of the other big peds right?  I’d imagine there are many Crippens that are highest graded for those sorts of books.