• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I regret not buying from the Davis Crippen Collection
3 3

106 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, szavisca said:

The Crippen collection  had more romance books than most of the other big peds right?  I’d imagine there are many Crippens that are highest graded for those sorts of books.

I imagine it did as there were so many out there when he was buying. The books I had contact with were almost all esoteric Golden Age, though there were some Detectives and PCH in the mix.

2 hours ago, misterrmystery said:

A comic store in Nyack, New York also acquired a large number of these books, many of which I was fortunate to buy in the early 1990's. A number of Catmans, including the 28 and mostly esoteric Golden Age books. I passed on the Catman choking Hitler cover because the cover was detached. I would regret this decision later.  These books also were sold through Heritage Auctions in 2007. The Catman 28 graded at 6.0 and is still the highest graded copy, last sold in 2007.

The Catman #28 6.0 is not the highest graded copy anymore

8 minutes ago, Timely said:

The Catman #28 6.0 is not the highest graded copy anymore

Thanks. I was looking at GPA, not the census. It's the highest graded copy sold since 2007. I just looked at the census and see some graded higher, including a 9.4. Amazing!

Edited by misterrmystery

The Crippen collection would have been far more impressive had it all come out back in the 90s.  As it happened, the books housed in the garage deteriorated significantly resulting in a lot of tanning and aging.

At the same time the Crippens came out, John McLaughlin's estate of Church books were consigned to Heritage.  Those were some sweet comics.

3 hours ago, misterrmystery said:

Look up the Crippen  Detective 168  CGC 7.5 on Heritage. My copy sold in 2007 and again in 2011. Unaffordable now. 

There are two Crippen copies of that book?! (check the "D" in the "D")

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+52&Nty=1&Ntt=detective+comics+168+crippen&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

I've picked up several issues of his collection over the years unknowingly, surprised to see COA's fall out of the book or be on the back of the backing board. Also have one with significant water damage' I remember reading somewhere that quite a few suffered from this kind of moisture damage. 

16 minutes ago, fett said:

I've picked up several issues of his collection over the years unknowingly, surprised to see COA's fall out of the book or be on the back of the backing board. Also have one with significant water damage' I remember reading somewhere that quite a few suffered from this kind of moisture damage. 

Some of the ones I bought had foxing but no water damage. After they were moved, they weren't stored in ideal conditions. 

2 hours ago, misterrmystery said:

I imagine it did as there were so many out there when he was buying. The books I had contact with were almost all esoteric Golden Age, though there were some Detectives and PCH in the mix.

Lots of the Archie and Teen humor Crippen books are highest graded.

15 hours ago, Pickie said:

In 2006, I hadn't been online yet, let alone lurking on these boards.

What a hoard. Care to share some memories of the find hitting the collector's world and of your purchases? :popcorn:

The Crippen books coming to market had a huge positive impact on my collection. There were tons of books that you just didn't see in decent shape: Archies, but especially a lot of the Timely/Atlas humor books. And the best part for me is that they were not  nosebleed grades like the Church books--so I could actually afford them. I bought dozens of them during the Heritage sales. Books like Millie 2 and Patsy 1, both in 8.0, were just never seen in that kind of shape. The Millie 2 is still tied with the Church copy.for highest graded. I'm sure the story is similar for people collecting romance and other non-hero books.

34 minutes ago, AJD said:

I managed to buy what must be one of the worst Crippins from heritage recently. Was listed as a VG, but in practice is a 1.0. Thoroughly trashed due to completely rusted staples. This book has had an extended period of poor storage.

I have not been enamored with HA's grading the few times I bought raw GA books from them.  Were you able to return it?