• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lots of requests for Bronze X-men at a local show

25 posts in this topic

I went to a small show Saturday in Tallahassee and set up as a dealer.  It was a brisk show and it was fun being on the other side of the table for a while.

I thought you guys would want to know that I had a bunch of requests for Uncanny X-men.  I'm not talking about the early "new" Xmen, but also higher bronze issues and early copper. I sold almost every one that I brought.  So I compared notes with other dealers and they said they noticed the same thing.  Might be just an anomaly, but maybe those bronze gems are finding getting the respect they deserve (again).

On 11/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, seanfingh said:

Aside from the first appearance books, I would imagine that they look like relative bargains versus former ugly ducklings turned swans like Ms. Marvel #1, Nova #1, Rom #1, She-Hulk #1, Eternals #1 lather rinse repeat.

God I hope so.

The day someone paid more than $75+ for my raw 9.0 Nova # 1 -- and this was a few years ago -- I nearly had a heart attack. And it was a board sale here, no less.

I still can't take these books seriously at $10+ and yet I'd buy (and read) that X-Men run all day long. 

59 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

God I hope so.

The day someone paid more than $75+ for my raw 9.0 Nova # 1 -- and this was a few years ago -- I nearly had a heart attack. And it was a board sale here, no less.

I still can't take these books seriously at $10+ and yet I'd buy (and read) that X-Men run all day long. 

Other than GS 1/94 and maybe a couple of others, those X-Men books were lousy investments if you were buying in 1983 or 1984. But so were a lot of books. But then again, they're great books, which is why they got popular in the first place. People care about that again? 

Those books were so hot around 1983, etc. it was ridiculous. I went into a shop with my brother and we asked if they had any Byrne X-Men and they had ONE book...a ratty 128 he proceeded to sell us for $5. I probably could have gotten a half decent SA ASM for $5.

Edited by the blob

On 11/13/2018 at 4:16 PM, jason4 said:

There’s a new xmen relaunch every week it seems. I think it might have more to do with people discovering the quality of Bronze Age xmen stories and art and a healthy economy. 

Chris Claremont’s run from the 70s through to the early 90s has many enjoyable, quality storylines that I still go back to and read again, not just the issues he co-created with Byrne. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Anyone care about the New Mutants?

Yup.  Lots of quality material by Claremont in the 50-or-so issues he did, plus the Graphic Novel, and some nice art.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  Lots of quality material by Claremont in the 50-or-so issues he did, plus the Graphic Novel, and some nice art.

Good to know.  I'm not a huge New Mutants fan, but I bought them when they came out and they've been unread since.  I've got a Marvel Graphic Novel 4 cgc 9.4 white (1 original owner - me), I'd be happy to unload at discounted price to a boardie if someone wants one. 

9 hours ago, vaillant said:

New Mutants is a good series, at least up to Inferno.

Inferno is one of the better crossovers.

20 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Good to know.  I'm not a huge New Mutants fan, but I bought them when they came out and they've been unread since.  I've got a Marvel Graphic Novel 4 cgc 9.4 white (1 original owner - me), I'd be happy to unload at discounted price to a boardie if someone wants one. 

Aside from the Claremont ones, story-wise the issues in the #50s are also very good.
I started reading it when Louise Simonson was already on board and she was awesome both on X-Factor, Power Pack and New Mutants.
Then they had to ruin it all to follow some fad… And we've seen the long-term results.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:47 PM, vaillant said:

Aside from the Claremont ones, story-wise the issues in the #50s are also very good.
I started reading it when Louise Simonson was already on board and she was awesome both on X-Factor, Power Pack and New Mutants.
Then they had to ruin it all to follow some fad  sell more books… And we've seen the long-term results.

FTFY

I've long finished that era of X-Men, but I didnt hear that the Paul Smith stuff was gaining traction again.  I thought the only bronze/copper issue anyone cared about was the first Morlocks, and then nothing until first Mr Sinister.  Color me impressed.