• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lots of requests for Bronze X-men at a local show

25 posts in this topic

94-143 is my favorite bronze run.  I have multiples of them all raw in various grades, and also collect the Byrne run in CGC 9.8.  Took a break a few years ago and haven't added any new 9.8s since then.  Prices seem to be trending way up on them.  Must be Dark Phoenix movie interest/speculation?

On 11/24/2018 at 10:58 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

I've been working on acquiring some BA x-men in higher grades. I've been outbid on many copies so far on ebay and i'd say my bids have been generous. Someone outbids me by 1 dollar every time I try to score an X-Men #141 aaarrrgggg.

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I can't help but ask - you understand how the bidding system works on Feebay right? (ie. it's not like a standard auction, but uses a system where the bidder with the highest "max bid" wins, and the price paid isn't necessarily his max bid, but "one increment" higher than the 2nd highest bid?)

Whenever I read things like "I keep getting outbid by a $1"... it's often someone who doesn't understand that Feebay does that automatically, if that other bidder put a higher max bid than you. It's not supposed to be the kind of auction that most people see in the movies (where competitors keep out-bidding each other back and forth...) 

This isn't the right thread to go into it more, but if it is a misunderstanding on your part, I'd do a little digging on basic Feebay bidding tactics. Would pain me to see a fellow boardie consistently losing auctions because of that misunderstanding... 

Back to the thread, I also love this run of X-Men. Have it in trade, and a couple of the keys slabbed. Truly a classic with so many of the best storylines having come from!

I have had requests at my last couple of shows for the reprint era X-Mens (post-Adams, pre-New) as well as the late Sgt. Fury issues which were reprints (in higher grade at least). Both are tough to find in grade.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:28 PM, CKinTO said:

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I can't help but ask - you understand how the bidding system works on Feebay right? (ie. it's not like a standard auction, but uses a system where the bidder with the highest "max bid" wins, and the price paid isn't necessarily his max bid, but "one increment" higher than the 2nd highest bid?)

Whenever I read things like "I keep getting outbid by a $1"... it's often someone who doesn't understand that Feebay does that automatically, if that other bidder put a higher max bid than you. It's not supposed to be the kind of auction that most people see in the movies (where competitors keep out-bidding each other back and forth...) 

This isn't the right thread to go into it more, but if it is a misunderstanding on your part, I'd do a little digging on basic Feebay bidding tactics. Would pain me to see a fellow boardie consistently losing auctions because of that misunderstanding... 

Back to the thread, I also love this run of X-Men. Have it in trade, and a couple of the keys slabbed. Truly a classic with so many of the best storylines having come from!

I think the poster probably understands that, but when dealing with a $40-100 book, chances are the #2 bidder (if they were trying to win) was within a few bucks unless the winner put in some crazy high bid that would leave him open to punishment bids to feel out his max and get him to overpay.