• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JiM 114 Winnipeg copy

10 posts in this topic

I bought a raw copy of JiM 114 off ebay a few months ago as a VF+ with no indication of Pedigree...

1655244764_114-VF.thumb.jpg.ea5d91ca362c908cae78716900a3f4a8.jpg

Just got the book back from CGC last week as a VF- (certainly within the comfort level for a raw ebay purchase), but it also noted that this was the Winnipeg copy...

114Winnipeg-CGCVF-.thumb.jpg.c093d6cd3f93d788e0e32dfed88d8ac1.jpg

114BackWinnipeg-CGCVF-.thumb.jpg.4ed79ad9853ae09ab94c29ca771b7452.jpg

Does anyone here know for sure whether there *is* a copy of 114 in Winnipeg (more than one?) or, even better, does anyone *own* a Winnipeg copy of 114?

I really have my doubts about this one and don't relish the idea of muddying up the Pedigree waters if I can help it.

I *think* something may have happened in this shipment as I also had a 121 that *is* part of the Winnipeg collection on the same invoice.  I have a feeling maybe there was some overlap especially since the 121 has the signature and 114 does not... any thoughts?  Thanks!

121Winnipeg-CGCVF.thumb.jpg.369c129befac15a0152b56fec222c5c4.jpg

114Back-VF+.jpg

Wow.  So I go the grade I should have given ebay grading is not CGC and just lucked out on the Pedigree?

How is it that we, as a community, don't have a quick reference guide for identifying Pedigrees outside of the obvious markings?  Or have I just not been able to find it?  Would love to know what I need to be looking for... not least of all to restore my faith in CGC Pedigree labels. (a few months prior I had a Pedigree mismatch on 2 copies of E-Man #1)

The comicpedigrees site is nice, but it doesn't give details on identification... 

Wish we had a comprehensive list (with scans) of the collections at the time they were found...

The original owner stopped writing his name at the top of the front cover of the Winnipeg books some time around the end of 1965.

I don't see any distinguishing mark to suggest your copy of JIM #114 belongs to the Winnipeg pedigree, and it's missing the signature during a time when it should be expected to carry one.  I still have a copy of the Showcase New England catalog for winter, 1997 when the Winnipeg collection was first brought to market.  With the caveat that many of the Winnipeg books were a bit overgraded, the JIM #114 was sold as a NM book, a grade even SNE would be highly unlikely to give a book with as many spine stress lines and dinged corners as your copy. 

This information suggests that CGC most likely mislabeled your copy.

Edited by namisgr

6 hours ago, namisgr said:

The original owner stopped writing his name at the top of the front cover of the Winnipeg books some time around the end of 1965.

I don't see any distinguishing mark to suggest your copy of JIM #114 belongs to the Winnipeg pedigree, and it's missing the signature during a time when it should be expected to carry one.  I still have a copy of the Showcase New England catalog for winter, 1997 when the Winnipeg collection was first brought to market.  With the caveat that many of the Winnipeg books were a bit overgraded, the JIM #114 was sold as a NM book, a grade even SNE would be highly unlikely to give a book with as many spine stress lines and dinged corners as your copy. 

Ah, yes, thanks... that's the info I was actually expecting to hear... the lack of signature on this, 7 months prior to the signed 121, really seemed off. I may try resubmitting on an invoice that doesn't have a Peg copy and see what happens. Thanks again

17 hours ago, namisgr said:

Do you have a digital copy of that catalog? 

12 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Do you have a digital copy of that catalog? 

No.  It's something like 30 pages, but if there's a particular title that interests you, say the Daredevil Winnipegs, I could scan and post it on the Boards.

20 minutes ago, namisgr said:

No.  It's something like 30 pages, but if there's a particular title that interests you, say the Daredevil Winnipegs, I could scan and post it on the Boards.

Ah, bummer. I'm trying to collect, archive and make public as much of that material as I can, so it's more than just my personal titles.