• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee RIP
14 14

328 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, hesdeadjim said:

Stan made me want to learn English.

When I was eight or nine years old I bought a stack of Fantastic Fours at a local flea market and only noticed afterwards that they were originals and not the German reprints I was used to. And even if I couldn't understand a single word, the word balloons somehow looked "right" compared to the clumsy translations in the reprints.

Thank you Stan!

I have had a somewhat funnier experience in my childhood, but I’ll save that for after the mourning.
I mean… I am not gloomy, but surely sad.

Whuff -- a punch to the gut.

I grew up looking for imaginary worlds to take me away from my real one, at least to some extent.  My first other-world was found within Marvel comics -- Hulk #199 and FF #172 to start, and a million to follow.  From then on I was entranced by the world-building and character-creating of Stan Lee's and his collaborators' imaginations.  Comic runs, Marvel Treasury editions, origin collections like 'Origins of Marvel Comics' and 'Bring on the Bad Guys', and wacky stuff like the Marvel Fun Book made my life much happier.  I saw Stan as part Homer -- the architect of an American mythology -- and part P.T. Barnum -- always smiling, always selling, always promoting his little universe.  Stan was indeed 'the Man' -- Excelsior!

Nuff said.

Dan

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Aaaaaaaaand eBay sellers that sold their books before learning of Lee's passing are already refunding their buyers...

lol Daredevil 1 in a CGC 2.0 sold to my friend about twenty minutes ago for $1600 has now been refunded as a good customer of theirs bought it in hand before he had the chance to take it down. 

Riiiiiight.

That is downright depressing. Ooh Buzz, I cannot laugh.
Instead I will post this, which – hopefully – will remember us to be a little less egoistical:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/picked-apart-by-vultures-the-last-days-of-stan-lee

I was probably too young to fully appreciate the Stan’s influence on Marvel Comics. I remember at one point as a kid reading my Micronauts comic and thinking “Who is this Stan Lee that’s ‘presenting’ this comic? ‘Cause he ‘presents’ my Daredevil, Marvel Tales, and Iron Man comics and he isn’t the writer on any on them”. Lol. 

I’ve always collected Hulk TTA books because I liked the character a lot as a kid. But the writing on those wasn’t the best. But I get it, Stan was just trying to keep the brand on the racks at the time. 

I know right now we’re in the movie-hype area and as such Fantastic Four has had a bit of fall from grace. 

And while I personally never collected the title, I REALLY hope now people will go back and revisit the FF arc that Stan and Jack did together. 

When ever I think of the Marvel Age and Stan, those early Fantastic Four stories are what instantly pop in my head. 

As a writer, I think FF will really be Stan’s legacy and I hope that now people will buck the movie trend and give that series another look. 

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

I was probably too young to fully appreciate the Stan’s influence on Marvel Comics. I remember at one point as a kid reading my Micronauts comic and thinking “Who is this Stan Lee that’s ‘presenting’ this comic? ‘Cause he ‘presents’ my Daredevil, Marvel Tales, and Iron Man comics and he isn’t the writer on any on them”. Lol. 

I’ve always collected Hulk TTA books because I liked the character a lot as a kid. But the writing on those wasn’t the best. But I get it, Stan was just trying to keep the brand on the racks at the time. 

I know right now we’re in the movie-hype area and as such Fantastic Four has had a bit of fall from grace. 

And while I personally never collected the title, I REALLY hope now people will go back and revisit the FF arc that Stan and Jack did together. 

When ever I think of the Marvel Age and Stan, those early Fantastic Four stories are what instantly pop in my head. 

As a writer, I think FF will really be Stan’s legacy and I hope that now people will buck the movie trend and give that series another look. 

Carlos Pacheco did a labor of love on that, years ago. I’d be more than happy with that as a legacy, if what you say does not happen. :)

Just now, Anfield Fox said:

So sad. What makes it worse is what has happened to him over the past year or so. How he was used by associates, the number of thefts from his accounts and all the #metoo stories in the press which made me wonder if this contributed to his passing.

Matt… :foryou: