• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee RIP
14 14

328 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

WE lost two giants this year.... it had to happen......  the Lord planned it this way 

Image result for stan lee and steve ditko

I was so sad when I read the tribute to Ditko in our paper. He was from my home town originally, Johnstown, Pa. Now they can co- create again together in heaven. R.I.P. gentlemen.:angel:

Edited by maidenmate91

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don’t know if this has been posted here but THIS is why I really love Stan Lee. He used his platform to say something worthy.  

477BA6DE-378F-444D-9E94-6BB2E868EFAF.jpeg

Ughh... thanks for this! Stan wasn't having it with these racist demagogues. He had a social conscience. Loved this man so much!!!

Dr12xwDUUAI5sla.jpeg

My first introduction to him was when I was a boy, in the animated series “Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends” where he was the narrator. From then on, he was forever a staple for Spider-Man and Marvel for me. His voice and look was so distinct and friendly. Comics have changed so much. You wish they could continue as it was.

Anyone here met him for longer then a photo? What kind of person was he?

I realize my sadness is for us, not for him as he had a heckuva ride, except for perhaps the last year. Thank you for everything you gave us and left us!

To OP @Robot Man's question: important seems to me to have two answers, FF1 and AF15, and I'd think one could argue effectively for either one all day. But that isn't really the point so much as to stir up memories. Which leads to the question of memorable, and so many great choices were named already. For me, it's Avengers #4, when he really pulled the golden age forward into the then-current age and fully formed the idea of continuity as central to the Marvel Universe. Surfer #1 also jumped immediately to mind for me, and someone said FF51. Which was a big "Oh yeah!" My parents sent me to Catholic grade school, but my morality came from Cap and Ben Grimm.

If I had my Strange Worlds #1 photographed, I'd pop it in the thread for posterity, as its Lee and Kirby's first work together. Anyone got a pic handy? 

Unlike many of you, I never met Stan in person but I did have the privilege of interviewing him by telephone. It was a profile on the career of Joe Sinnott, and it ran in Comic Book Marketplace #39 (Fantastic #3 cover). When I reached Stan's California office (it was 1996, and Stan was trying to give birth to Marvel movies) his receptionist was quite polite but told me she thought it was unlikely he would make time for any interviews given how busy he was with then-fledgling film efforts. I simply asked her to tell him it was about Joe Sinnott. The next person to pick up the line was Stan. It was a gracious and rambling 15 or 20 minutes, and I have my full notes somewhere, but I will share now two quotes from the article:

Stan's credo for Marvel Comics in his own words (which he was saying Sinnott exemplified) -- "As much excitement and integrity into every panel as clearly and dramatically as possible."

And Joe Sinnott describing a visit to Stan's office: "Every time I went in, he was working. Stan would type and talk. He typed on yellow legal paper that he blocked into panels. He typed in captions and dialogue, and he kept it to a minimum. He was an artist's writer. Maybe his stories were a little simple, but they were always effective. He knew how to tell a story with as few words as possible."

Face front, effendi! Valhalla awaits! Excelsior!

Rest in peace to the King of Comics...the main reason we're all even a part of these boards to be here having this conversation....Stan the Man has been a big part of my life since early childhood via my Father (who was also a huge fan since childhood) sharing his old X-men/Avengers/FF books with me and taking me on walks to the local CBS that was 6-8 blocks from our house, annnd of course spending every Saturday morning with Stan narrating the Hulk & Spider-Man cartoons I watched in the mid-80's only brought me to know him & his catch-phrases even better...and appreciate enthusiasm/passion for every line he uttered.  I've been a fan for 35+ years now....and it's literally shaped my adult life more than my childhood :)

You will be greatly missed sir, thanks for so many decades of memories :foryou:

Nuff Said True Believers!

He was even more amazing, incredible and uncanny than the hero's because he created them all! There will never be another like him, that era has passed. We are just lucky that he ushered us through it all and helped us create a new era of our own. But things have changed. Lets not forget our roots and all he taught us about stories, myth-making and the wonder of our imaginations.

My earliest memory of him was at the age of 12 from a Saturday morning cartoon called Spider-man and his amazing friends.  His voice added such a wonderful, exciting touch to the cartoon and it was from this program that I started collecting comics.  Since then I have been a fan of his wonderful creations.  I would simply like to say thank you to an amazing man and may he rest in peace..

21 hours ago, s-man said:

My earliest memory of him was at the age of 12 from a Saturday morning cartoon called Spider-man and his amazing friends.  His voice added such a wonderful, exciting touch to the cartoon and it was from this program that I started collecting comics.

As referenced above...I <3 LOVED☝that☝cartoon! :cloud9:  Spider-Man & Stan taught me sooooo many more life lessons than that "Knowing is half the battle" spoon at the end of the G.I.Joe cartoons.

Edited by Top City Comics

Stan’s overwhelming enthusiasm got me excited about comics as a kid, in a way that DC never could. He died 1 year short of spending 80 years in the business! 80 YEARS!

I never stood in line for an autograph, but I did almost run head on into him one morning after breakfast in Chicago a few years ago. 

RIP Stan, you’re a forever legend.