• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee RIP
14 14

328 posts in this topic

It's funny how, as a comic collector, your relationship with Stan evolves. I was a product of '90s comics, so at first he was just the dude that presents every Marvel comic. Then later he became this colossus who created everything you know and love. When I began collecting silver and bronze age back issues in earnest, I learned that it was a bit more complicated than that. These guys were real people who fought and argued and wanted credit and there were some who were even snubbed. But what impressed me about Stan Lee the most was his dynamic personality and his boundless energy in greeting and meeting fans. I never met him personally, but there are so many who have at signings and other events, and I haven't heard of one bad experience. I'm sure there are people who felt they didn't have the best time meeting him, but can you imagine that? Signing endless books, shaking so many hands, taking picture after picture and making each one feel a little bit special. I couldn't do it. There's not many who could. But Stan Lee did. And for that he will never be forgotten. At least not by us.

Edited by bb8

I wish this was not true, but wow.

I wish I had got to see him again, and had a picture taken.

But I won't complain, when he came to Pittsburgh in 2009, that was the most epic experience ever.

R.I.P. Mr. Lee, it was a pleasure, though short a brief. 

More than any other single person, he made the comics of his time better, smarter, and certainly hipper than they necessarily needed to be as disposable entertainment for children in the 1960s.  Believe he lived life to the fullest over his 95 years, and I'm especially glad he lived to see the characters he promoted with such joy finally conquer the big screen.  

Edited by Zonker