• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HAL 9000 dead at 90

11 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, kav said:

long movie to this 6-7 year old when the parents watched it on VHS way back in the 80's (if I remember correctly)

The music at the beginning made me say YAY!! 3-4 minutes later when it was still going, I yawned and that was all she wrote.... zzz Watched it again later in life, LOT'S of FUN and very notable!

RIP :foryou: 

My parents took me when I was 10 I was riveted.  I was shocked to hear adults say THAT MOVIE MADE NO SENSE!  It was clear as day to me-the aliens evolved man apes then they evolved dave bowman-whats the hold up?

The movie has only 2 unrealistic things which is a major accomplishment.  Most films have dozens.

12 hours ago, Norinn Radd said:

RIP.

I last watched 2001 on 1/1/2001. Guess it's time to watch it again.

I'm a expert on that movie if you want any back story.  

8 hours ago, kav said:

I'm a expert on that movie if you want any back story.  

I'll keep that in mind. (thumbsu

Actually, I got more insight into the movie when I read Marvel's 2001 comic series when I first got into comics (also in the year 2001).

4 hours ago, Norinn Radd said:

I'll keep that in mind. (thumbsu

Actually, I got more insight into the movie when I read Marvel's 2001 comic series when I first got into comics (also in the year 2001).

that treasury comic was nothing like the movie or book.  It had hal wisecracking and a bunch of other wacky kirby stuff.  The series likewise had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the movie or book.

Edited by kav

On 11/14/2018 at 1:30 PM, kav said:

that treasury comic was nothing like the movie or book.  It had hal wisecracking and a bunch of other wacky kirby stuff.  The series likewise had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the movie or book.

Yeah, Machine Man is in it!?!?!

I just turned 4 when it was released and finally watched the movie after reading 1976 series 2001: A Space Odyssey.

What a confused movie I ever saw even the open caption was available.  Wished I have a hearing ear to hear HAL 9000.

How do you compare the computer voice in original Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation (Majel Barrett-Roddenberry) and HAL 9000?