• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee dies at 95

23 posts in this topic

Horrible news. We all knew it would happen one day as these years ticked by. Thank you Stan for everything. A true giant is gone. One of the things that always impressed me about him was how hopeful and optimistic he was about the world and future of comics. RIP Stan Lee. 

Edited by Darth Corgi

54 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The sad thing about Stan Lee dying is how his death reminds us of our own mortality. Like the superheroes Stan and the House of Ideas gave us and read about, we were immortal in our youth. As time went on and we got older, our awareness of mortality grew with us. Time went quicker. The world around us changed. And while all this was going on, Stan was there to remind us to appreciate the past and embrace the future and the changes that will happen. Stan stayed close to us- appearing at comic book shows throughout the nation so that we all had a chance to see him. Yes, Stan was a genius in so many ways but for us today and his passing, we lost both a friend who contacted us through his Soupbox during our childhood years reading Marvel Comics. There was a financial motivation behind everything that Stan did but he also possessed a passion for the fans who loved him. It's that passion that will remain with the generations who lived during the Marvel Age of Comics. We loved Stan and always will. Remember the old saying about love being immortal. The thoughts we have and share about Stan will also remind us not to forget Jack and Steve. They did something for us that transcends mortality by giving us an experience to share with one another and posterity. It's this way how Stan Lee reminds us of immortality and he is now among the immortals. We the comic book readers will one day join Stan, Jack, and Steve, and perhaps they'll write about us in a new comic book they create in the Perpetual Age of Comics...with the title "The Immortal Comic Book Readers and Fans." The Spirit of Stan Lee is alive and well - and just as the mortal Stan Lee did- the immortal Stan Lee will always be nearby - especially when we see a comic book shop or share posts on these boards about him and his immortal contemporaries...

Excelsior Stan!

Well said BJ. Stan is like Santa.  His spirit will always be with us.

6 minutes ago, tth2 said:

the guy who wrote this Fantastic Four comic book will be one of the most influential people in American and global culture"?  

+1. We will be amazed at how much we collect and restock was influenced by Stan Lee: GA Timely, Atlas, SA and BA Marvels, the occasional DC comic too. RIP.

S8KeVLd.jpg

44 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Can you imagine going back to 1961 and telling people, "In the 21st century, the guy who wrote this Fantastic Four comic book will be one of the most influential people in American and global culture"?  

Hey Tim.

Yeah, and it's all over the media & net. Nightly news, movie starts loved him, just a cultural icon.

I still cannot believe he personally responded to a letter I wrote him in the 80s. Took the time to write back (with pen and paper). I love that man.

31 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I was lucky to be born when I was..... Stan's Soapbox every month.... he was still writing the responses in the letter's pages …. his endearing, flamboyant, hype was stamped on every issue of every title....  his cockiness was inspiring to me. Stan taught me how to have confidence, perserverance, and how to laugh at my foibles. RIP Stan THEMAN Lee … GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The letters to the editors was one my favorite things about Marvel an DC didn’t have them‼️👍

2 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

The letters to the editors was one my favorite things about Marvel an DC didn’t have them‼️👍

One of the reasons that a reprint just doesn't cut it for me.... most don't have Stan's letter's pages included. The Omnibus editions include them, but you need a floor jack to move one of those things around. GOD BLESS....

7 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

One of the reasons that a reprint just doesn't cut it for me.... most don't have Stan's letter's pages included. The Omnibus editions include them, but you need a floor jack to move one of those things around. GOD BLESS....

+1,000!