• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Stan Lee's Most important or Memorable Book?

64 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Perhaps only DC, the Star Wars Universe, and Disney can claim as great, or greater, influence on the pop culture of the 20th and 21st centuries, not just in the US, but around the world.

Agreed, and only Disney had the singular head similar to Stan's lead of Marvel. George Lucas gave up the reigns on SW, and after thr first 3 movies....well those were some mixed results...

The only other singular vision like Stan and Walt that I see having such a influence was Jim Henson for his creative vision for the Sesame Street muppets, and the Muppets...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Many of these are ones that came to mind right away as did Amazing Spiderman #248 "The Kid Who Collects Spiderman". Such a touching story that choked me up a little and made me think a lot...  Check it out. One of Stan's masterpieces. 

Stan Lee didn't write "The Kid Who Collects Spiderman." That was Roger Stern. 

FF #1 is an easy answer. That book become a flagship of many successful titles. FF #1 was the reason of Marvel Comics' mainstay. Stan Lee saw that he seized the opportunity to build many characters that turned a point of selling.

He said before he was gone, "I don't miss signing but I missed creating."

Edited by JollyComics

55 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Without FF #1, AF #15 never exists...

Discuss.

I said most important or memorable

I probably would have to say FF1 most important because of your statement. But memorable?

My first Marvel was Amazing Spiderman #3. It rocked me like no other comic book had ever done. It seemed almost real. Every school had a "Peter Parker". And every Peter Parker's dream was to be Spiderman. A very sad life for Peter. He couldn't display his powers nor could he get close with anyone. And, as time as shown, Spiderman has far eclipsed the FF4 in popularity. Now which issue or issues? Hard choice for me...

Sure, I just went with most important. There are all sorts of books that are more memorable. But FF #1 was the cornerstone. Much like Valiant wasn't Jim Shooter's first comic writing job, the foundation of the Valiant universe was laid with Magnus #1 (or, #0, if you want to get technical.) Same with FF #1, which wasn't Stan's 1st, 10th, or even 100th comics writing job.

My reply, to Chrisco, was whether or not AF #15 even existed if not for FF #1...I think it's an interesting question...

I wrote this in the other thread, intending to reply to this one. doh!

I realize my sadness is for us, not for him as he had a heckuva ride, except for perhaps the last year. Thank you for everything you gave us and left us!

To OP @Robot Man's question: important seems to me to have two answers, FF1 and AF15, and I'd think one could argue effectively for either one all day. But that isn't really the point so much as to stir up memories. Which leads to the question of memorable, and so many great choices were named already. For me, it's Avengers #4, when he really pulled the golden age forward into the then-current age and fully formed the idea of continuity as central to the Marvel Universe. Surfer #1 also jumped immediately to mind for me, and someone said FF51. Which was a big "Oh yeah!" My parents sent me to Catholic grade school, but my morality came from Cap and Ben Grimm.

If I had my Strange Worlds #1 photographed, I'd pop it in the thread for posterity, as its Lee and Kirby's first work together. Anyone got a pic handy? 

Unlike many of you, I never met Stan in person but I did have the privilege of interviewing him by telephone. It was a profile on the career of Joe Sinnott, and it ran in Comic Book Marketplace #39 (Fantastic #3 cover). When I reached Stan's California office (it was 1996, and Stan was trying to give birth to Marvel movies) his receptionist was quite polite but told me she thought it was unlikely he would make time for any interviews given how busy he was with then-fledgling film efforts. I simply asked her to tell him it was about Joe Sinnott. The next person to pick up the line was Stan. It was a gracious and rambling 15 or 20 minutes, and I have my full notes somewhere, but I will share now two quotes from the article:

Stan's credo for Marvel Comics in his own words (which he was saying Sinnott exemplified) -- "As much excitement and integrity into every panel as clearly and dramatically as possible."

And Joe Sinnott describing a visit to Stan's office: "Every time I went in, he was working. Stan would type and talk. He typed on yellow legal paper that he blocked into panels. He typed in captions and dialogue, and he kept it to a minimum. He was an artist's writer. Maybe his stories were a little simple, but they were always effective. He knew how to tell a story with as few words as possible."

Face front, effendi! Valhalla awaits! Excelsior!

I think there are many places in the world that non reading adults or casual moviegoer wouldn’t know who Dr.Doom , The thing , Daredevil , or many of the main stream Marvel characters are. However , I bet every single one of them , including the queen of England knows who Spider-man is. Spider-Man transcends comics in a way that no other Marvel character can. Iron man is my favorite but I do recognize who the king of the Marvel universe is. With that said , my vote goes to Amazing Fantasy 15 ! 

Edited by Lamborghinikid

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

IIRC, Spider-Man was also Stan's favorite hero that he created.

I don't have a source, but I had heard that the Silver Surfer was Stan's favorite creation.

With regards to OP's question, I give my vote to AF15.  You could argue that without the FF, there would be no Marvel.  But the truth is, the FF are special amongst comic book fans.  They don't really resonate with the greater population.  Spider-Man has been one of the most popular Marvel properties from a commercial standpoint.  I look back and I certainly knew Spider-Man before I knew who Mister Fantastic was.  I think without the popularity of Spider-Man and Hulk in mainstream media, other characters might not have struck a chord in popular culture.  So for that, I give a tip of my hat to AF15.

AF 15.

A character far, far better recognised by the general public and much wider appeal.

As a lifelong FF fan, it was difficult to put my nerd bias to one side and place it above the team’s first appearance, though.

Most Important: I'll have to go with FF #1. If it bombed, nothing else comes out. This opened the door for everything else.

Most Memorable: AF #15. Radioactive spider bites Peter Parker, Aunt May, Uncle Ben's death, Great power, great responsibility. Pretty much everyone knows this story. 

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't have a source, but I had heard that the Silver Surfer was Stan's favorite creation.

With regards to OP's question, I give my vote to AF15.  You could argue that without the FF, there would be no Marvel.  But the truth is, the FF are special amongst comic book fans.  They don't really resonate with the greater population.  Spider-Man has been one of the most popular Marvel properties from a commercial standpoint.  I look back and I certainly knew Spider-Man before I knew who Mister Fantastic was.  I think without the popularity of Spider-Man and Hulk in mainstream media, other characters might not have struck a chord in popular culture.  So for that, I give a tip of my hat to AF15.

In every interview (that I can find) from the last decade he had always said Spider-Man. However, he did have an affinity for FF characters. Doctor Doom, for example, was his favorite Marvel villain.

IMO Spider-Man probably evolved into Stan's favorite hero because of film success. I would not be surprised if Silver Surfer was his favorite hero 15-20 years ago.

59 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

In every interview (that I can find) from the last decade he had always said Spider-Man. However, he did have an affinity for FF characters. Doctor Doom, for example, was his favorite Marvel villain.

IMO Spider-Man probably evolved into Stan's favorite hero because of film success. I would not be surprised if Silver Surfer was his favorite hero 15-20 years ago.

I asked Stan who his favourite character was twice.  The first time at a convention in the early 90’s here in Toronto and his response was the Silver Surfer.

the second time was 4 or 5 years ago at the NYCC, and he again stated it was the Silver Surfer.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very sad day indeed for all FOOM members...

When I get home tonight I need to read a Marvel comic. So many to choose from and I just can't pick one. Which single book or small arc sums up the best of Stan Lee to you?

It would have to be "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" for me, hands down. If you want a single issue with a nice "feel good" ,I never get tired of FF 35 …. or 64. ASM 20 is another that never seems to go stale...also ASM 25. I'm still coming to terms with this.... Judy woke me up yesterday to let me know. I truly loved that guy. Probably the one picture I miss the most from Photobucket, whoI hope will never get one penny of my money, is one of Stan signing a book for this crippled kid, who was wheelchair bound, at Baltimore 2011 :cloud9: … we weren't supposed to be taking pictures, but I*ahem*did it anyway. The book that I stiil have from that show, we stood in line almost and hour to get it signed, came from one of my best board friends @goldust40 is also a good choice for a book by Stan to read ….. also ASM 7 were Petey first puts the move on Betty Brant. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

ASM6ag.jpg

ASM6agf.jpg

Edited by jimjum12