• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Phantom comic book goes belly up in Norway

18 posts in this topic

https://e24.no/naeringsliv/fantomet-forsvinner-etter-54-aar-som-tegneserie/24490894

First appearance newspapers : 1939 (the germans never knew it was from the US so it was even printed during WW2 , the resistance used "Phantom" as code word lol)

First comic book : 1964 (at first only 4-6 issues a yr)

In 1970 they started printing 26 issues a yr until 2013 (less than 10k sold today vs the 80s , I believe in 1986 they sold a whopping 100k copies !)

70s/80s was The Phantoms golden age in Norway

2 hours ago, postersandstuff said:

The Phantom newspaper strip 1939 - 2019 , thats a long run though

Very impressive.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:09 PM, AJD said:

Still going here, and up to #1825. My LCS tells me that sales are falling and the demographic is of the older type though, so who knows how much longer it will go.

If it fades any more they'll have to change it to, "The Ghost Who Limps!"  Either that or, "The Ghosted Who Walked!" :wink:

Edited by Coverless 9.8

On 5/2/2019 at 1:54 PM, Ken Aldred said:
On 5/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, postersandstuff said:

The Phantom newspaper strip 1939 - 2019 , thats a long run though

Very impressive.

What I would want to have in my personal collection would be a copy of this book here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Ace Comics #11 (David McKay Publications, 1938) CGC VF- 7.5 Creamto off-white pages....

The first comic book appearance of the Phantom and a book that came out several months before Action 1 hit the stands.

Apparently, a real rare and HTF toughie to track down, with only a total of 14 graded copies (universal & restored) to date, with this CGC 7.5 being the highest graded copy.  :cloud9:

There is a huge amount around in Australia

Under issue 100 they sell well - $100 - $500 depending on condition (rough guide)

I have never seen an issue under #26.

I think a #1 sold for $15,000 a few years back.

The modern ones (#700 and up) are literally 3 for $5 fodder.

They just keep reprinting the same stories and throw a few new ones in every year. Lee Falk died a few years back, and that really took most of the remaining wind out of its sails.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, lou_fine said:

What I would want to have in my personal collection would be a copy of this book here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Ace Comics #11 (David McKay Publications, 1938) CGC VF- 7.5 Creamto off-white pages....

The first comic book appearance of the Phantom and a book that came out several months before Action 1 hit the stands.

Apparently, a real rare and HTF toughie to track down, with only a total of 14 graded copies (universal & restored) to date, with this CGC 7.5 being the highest graded copy.  :cloud9:

super book to own...cong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1-4Ek-slk

80s vintage (stickers , bronze/silver/gold diplomas which you would get if you answered questions correctly.....not exactly mint but rare to find as many lost them/threw them away)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx61HOHYNSg

Edited by postersandstuff