• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee creations that really missed the mark

47 posts in this topic

with all due respect to The Master, what SL stuff really missed the mark?

I remember being out of comics for 30 years and around 2005 being in a hotel room and flipping the channels and stumbled upon some kinda God Awful reality show with Lee called Stan Lee's Super Hero Show. It had real life people who came to SL and wanted to be super heros and Lee would come up with something for them and give the superhero team a challenge or some such s h i t.

There was this extremely obese woman that was so large she could barley walk. She sometimes used a Hover-Round thingee. Lee christened her "Donut Girl" and gave her a belt with hanging jelly donuts. During Donut Girl's challenge she was rushing somewhere to accomplish said challenge and her Hover-Round rolled by a kid, lost, crying for his mom. Donut Girl rolled right on by rushing to finish the challenge. 

Later Lee was incensed at Donut Girl ignored the kid, saying that "A real hero would never ignore a crying child" and Lee sent her home from the show. Donut Girl looked at Lee vacuously and grabbed a jelly donut from her belt and started eating. :roflmao:

Just now, NoMan said:

No it was real. Let me try to find it

I think someone posted a video the other day of it, except that it was an attractive girl who's superpower was being drawn with an hourglass in her hand.

I just didn't know that it was a show or they wind up with missions to do...

:foryou:

This is pretty generic, but I'm going to say his portrayal of women as a whole in his ASM run from 1-25. For a guy who was so ahead of his time in terms of bigotry and diversity, he really did not understand women well and his dialogue in those early Spider-Man issues is terrible. 

53 minutes ago, NoMan said:

No it was real. Let me try to find it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Superhero%3F

Season 1, won by my college friend Matt Atherton! 

Matt spent all 4 years of college frequently dressing up as Spiderman and having some epic battles with his arch nemesis Gorilla Man (just a guy in a gorilla suit)

His senior year he shot a 20 minute Spiderman movie (this was 1996-7) complete with him swinging from 2 story dollys. 

it was a cheesy show, but after winning Matt would make con appearances and raise money for Recording for the Blind orginazations.

10 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

This is pretty generic, but I'm going to say his portrayal of women as a whole in his ASM run from 1-25. For a guy who was so ahead of his time in terms of bigotry and diversity, he really did not understand women well and his dialogue in those early Spider-Man issues is terrible. 

Stan was writing Romance comics before going the super-hero route.  And the dialogue in the first 25 issues of ASM is consistent with what he wrote for FF, JIM, TOS, etc.  It was the early 1960s, after all.  

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I remember being out of comics for 30 years and around 2005 being in a hotel room and flipping the channels and stumbled upon some kinda God Awful reality show with Lee called Stan Lee's Super Hero Show. It had real life people who came to SL and wanted to be super heros and Lee would come up with something for them and give the superhero team a challenge or some such s h i t.

There was this extremely obese woman that was so large she could barley walk. She sometimes used a Hover-Round thingee. Lee christened her "Donut Girl" and gave her a belt with hanging jelly donuts. During Donut Girl's challenge she was rushing somewhere to accomplish said challenge and her Hover-Round rolled by a kid, lost, crying for his mom. Donut Girl rolled right on by rushing to finish the challenge. 

Later Lee was incensed at Donut Girl ignored the kid, saying that "A real hero would never ignore a crying child" and Lee sent her home from the show. Donut Girl looked at Lee vacuously and grabbed a jelly donut from her belt and started eating. :roflmao:

I liked that show.  Many epic Stan lee lines like IRON ENFORCER!  Please explain to me why you deserve to be a superhero!

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Ps her name was Fat Mama and who couldnt love Cell Phone Girl??

image1842299.jpg

14 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Bad taste on the day he passes, no?

Are you kidding? Someone already has a Stan Lee thread going in the sales forum. :sick:

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

Are you kidding? Someone already has a Stan Lee thread going in the sales forum. :sick:

link?

I honestly experienced a sinking feeling when I saw it. 

"Here we go," I thought. 

Edited by newshane