• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Stan Lee’s signature going up in value?

112 posts in this topic

People are starting to list CGC SS Stan Lee products in droves on eBay in the hopes of capitalizing on this unfortunate event. If buyers are patient, and don't allow these markups and floods to dictate the free market prices, then it ultimately will have very little effect.

I currently don't have any Stan Lee signatures, and I do plan on owning a few (hopefully in 2019), but I won't be paying an arm and a leg for it just because he is no longer physically with us (he will always be with us in spirit).

To ultimately answer the OP's question:

Short-term - yes.

Long-term - little if any.

On 11/14/2018 at 11:14 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

short term = yes.. but only if your silly enough to get caught up in this unfortunate event.....long term i doubt it....there's so much product out there.

Perhaps for the average book he has signed, but what about his sig on big SA keys? I wonder...

5 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Perhaps for the average book he has signed, but what about his sig on big SA keys? I wonder...

Definitely, I think. I don't think that the recent degree of inflation is sustainable, though. An SA book that Lee was involved in, and signed, has always had some phenomenal financial value. As those books, and now his sig, continue to dwindle in market availability their values will continue to rise.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I hate threads like this. It shows the worst aspects of our hobby. 

I had only two books that Stan signed for me in person, I sold them this year to help me purchase a house for my family, now all I've got is the memory (and the pic of us together that I paid $50 for. :bigsmile:)

Thanks Stan. 

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I hate threads like this. It shows the worst aspects of our hobby. 

And the OP didn't even bother to thank those who took the time and trouble to respond to the thread. 

It all some think about. Money. But of course has no problem hitting up the very experienced folks here for their knowledge at no cost to him/her.

Anyways, like others have said here, no money to be made in Stan Lee signatures at this time. I recommend you buy up all the Steve Ditko signatures as they're flying under the radar now and there's serious money to be made. 

Edited by NoMan

This is a great part of the hobby; nothing like your collection turning into an investment as you get older and have money. Bug off Bob, who died and made you boss of comic collecting!

I maintain that Key books with Stan’s signature will go up and hold value. A fantastic four CBCS 5.0 Stan lee sig just sold for $26400 on heritage. The last CGC 5.0 graded book sold for $18000 in July (no sig; on GPA).

And as far as No-man is concerned, what an idiotic comment. Ya I should thank and pay everybody who responds to my post because I started a discussion. Thank you so much no-man for gracing us with your infinite wisdom, you are the guru of comics and we are all plebes! I’ve got more experience and knowledge than you and my collection is far superior. What’s that? You disagree? Put your money where your mouth is and post your collection database and I will too. 

16 minutes ago, comic girl said:

And as far as No-man is concerned, what an idiotic comment. Ya I should thank and pay everybody who responds to my post because I started a discussion. Thank you so much no-man for gracing us with your infinite wisdom, you are the guru of comics and we are all plebes! I’ve got more experience and knowledge than you and my collection is far superior. What’s that? You disagree? Put your money where your mouth is and post your collection database and I will too. 

13 minutes ago, comic girl said:

Ok mystafo, big b-lls. Post your collection too and we’ll see. It was a discussion ffs, I don’t need your half-Assed advice. BLOW. Why join a thread if you guys don’t like the subject?  

For the record, aggressive tones and responses typically aren't conducive to discussions.

Secondly, size or value of a collection isn't indicative of intelligence, wisdom, or breadth of knowledge in a given subject.  Trotting it out as though it's some sort of measuring stick for greatness tends to show an underlying subconscious insecurity.  That and some people on here have books that number in the like 20k-40k range.  And god knows what the value of books are for people who collect GA/SA heavily (like the people who have multiple copies of AF15 and FF1 and IH181).

Side note: how is it these things always crop up on a Friday.  Does everyone just save their dramatic outbursts for the weekend to help speed up the work day?

Edited by ExNihilo

Exnihilo, you are correct. These guys unnecessarily post derogatory comments and it -s me off that’s all. They think they’re better than others and that’s what I interpret from the tones of their comments. I’m no self-proclaimed expert just a long time collector and no slouch as far as information and knowledge is concerned. I have the upmost respect for Stan, but he’s dead and like it or not his influence and signature play a large role in value.

For the record I own a FF#1 and x-men #1 both graded with Stan lee signature. I won’t mention the grade of each but let’s just say it would probably be surprising.

WOW!  You are so, so knowledgeable because you own these books!  That's so impressive!  I had no idea who I was dealing with, forgive me...I mean, an owner of an X men 1 AND a FF1 signed by Stan?!?!  Didn't realize who I was messing with!

(worship)

Here's a rope to learn with...go practice, please.

Edited by Mystafo