• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Stan Lee’s signature going up in value?

112 posts in this topic

I own about a half dozen Stan signed books. Biggest would be an Avengers 1 and a #4 co signed by Joe Simon.

I see absolutely no reason why demand will slow down for these books so prices should rise.

Will there be enough demand for Stan signatures that it's mere presence on a book dictates three figure minimums?  I have no idea. 

Can you imagine anyone putting together runs of signature series books? 

On 11/25/2018 at 2:24 PM, shadroch said:

Can you imagine anyone putting together runs of signature series books? 

Like I said, people are already doing it.  I myself have a run of Amazing Spider-man from 1 to 9 all signed by Stan.  Counting my sig series AF15, that is the first 10 Spidey books all with Stan Lee sigs.

I have heard one claim of someone having ASM 1 to 100 all CGC signature series books with Stan Lee sigs.  I did not see the collection personally, but I do not doubt it for a second.  I have talked to people at cons with some seriously insane collections.  When you see the kinds of keys they are getting signed at these shows, there is little reason to doubt their claims.  My own collection is pretty impressive, but there are comic fans out there with absolutely ridiculous amounts of cash to spend.  Grab what you can now, because when the millionaires start buying into comics in earnest as an alternative to bitcoin and other riskier investments, many of the rest of us could be priced out of the market.  That includes Stan Lee signatures on random Silver Age issues.

Comic girl...

put a can of baked beans next to your slabs and post pictures. That's the only way we'll know if you're telling the truth. 

Everyone has access to a camera these days so...

:taptaptap:

...and even if you are telling the truth, owning those comics wouldn't even put you in the top 25% of collectors on the board. :sorry:

21 minutes ago, newshane said:

Comic girl...

put a can of baked beans next to your slabs and post pictures. That's the only way we'll know if you're telling the truth. 

Everyone has access to a camera these days so...

:taptaptap:

That's nothing. I own two tins of baked beans and a tin of alphabet spaghetti. Beat that sucker! :baiting:

On 11/27/2018 at 12:24 AM, ronnieramone said:

Like I said, people are already doing it.  I myself have a run of Amazing Spider-man from 1 to 9 all signed by Stan.  Counting my sig series AF15, that is the first 10 Spidey books all with Stan Lee sigs.

I have heard one claim of someone having ASM 1 to 100 all CGC signature series books with Stan Lee sigs.  I did not see the collection personally, but I do not doubt it for a second.  I have talked to people at cons with some seriously insane collections.  When you see the kinds of keys they are getting signed at these shows, there is little reason to doubt their claims.  My own collection is pretty impressive, but there are comic fans out there with absolutely ridiculous amounts of cash to spend.  Grab what you can now, because when the millionaires start buying into comics in earnest as an alternative to bitcoin and other riskier investments, many of the rest of us could be priced out of the market.  That includes Stan Lee signatures on random Silver Age issues.

I collect almost exclusively SS books. No doubts from me that there are more serious collectors who are also in the SS game (with more expendable income too).

On 11/16/2018 at 3:23 PM, comic girl said:

And as far as No-man is concerned, what an idiotic comment. Ya I should thank and pay everybody who responds to my post because I started a discussion. Thank you so much no-man for gracing us with your infinite wisdom, you are the guru of comics and we are all plebes! I’ve got more experience and knowledge than you and my collection is far superior. What’s that? You disagree? Put your money where your mouth is and post your collection database and I will too. 

You very well may have more experience and knowledge, however, I'm a more than a little befuddled by your claim that your comic book collection is "superior" to mine. What makes one comic book collection superior to another?

Edited by NoMan

Not trying to prove anything, just demonstrating that I’ve lived up to the claims in my posts. And maybe just getting a few laughs and lightening up the mood.

As far as your comment about the “superiority” of one collection versus another, I will concede that it is largely a subjective ordeal. I was basing it primarily on overall value which I think is a valid measure.

Just now, comic girl said:

Not trying to prove anything, just demonstrating that I’ve lived up to the claims in my posts. And maybe just getting a few laughs and lightening up the mood.

As far as your comment about the “superiority” of one collection versus another, I will concede that it is largely a subjective ordeal. I was basing it primarily on overall value which I think is a valid measure.

I'm half reading this post and half watching Dateline NBC about a golf caddy that may or may not have murdered the manger of a Burger King sooo I"m not exactly sure what claims you've made that you feel like you need to live up to. What did you claim?

If those are your books, nice pile. Readers and HG copies. Way to do it!

On 11/13/2018 at 12:31 AM, comic girl said:

Will signature series books go up in value with Stan the Man’s passing? I know he signed a lot of stuff but his value has been increasing over the last couple of years. Will it’s value shoot up more or level-off and maybe even decline? Any opinions?

My opinion is, this thread won't end well.  

Ok no-baller, I mean low baller, who are you exactly that you speak for everyone on the board. Be careful that you don’t start to brag and then can’t back it up. BTW I never claimed that these were my best books, just up there with my favourites. Rest assured that I’ve got a lot more ammo in store for goods like you should the necessity arise.

Sometimes it's tough to respond to new posters around here because they may be children or have developmental issues and you want to be polite and encouraging so as they don't leave the CGC boards or the comic collecting hobby in general. There was a "Tell A Stan Lee Story" thread recently that touched upon some of these issues and I think we all learned a lot from that thread and not about Stan Lee. 

With that in mind comic girl, I think your books are great and look forward to you sticking around and growing as a collector with all of us!

Edited by NoMan

5 hours ago, comic girl said:

Yup, definitely :censored: pathetic.

8 hours ago, comic girl said:

Giving people the middle finger doesn't lighten the mood.  It's incendiary 

Ignoring that, if you step back from this discussion, can't you see that you're openly bragging about your collection?