• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Stan Lee’s signature going up in value?

112 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

WOW!  You are so, so knowledgeable because you own these books!  That's so impressive!  I had no idea who I was dealing with, forgive me...I mean, an owner of an X men 1 AND a FF1 signed by Stan?!?!  Didn't realize who I was messing with!

(worship)

I own multiple 9.6/9.8 copies of X-Men #1 and FF#1.  The Jim Lee ones at least.  Kneel before Zod!  :roflmao:

Edited by ExNihilo

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yeah, this interaction was a classic example but I am assuming Comic Girl is a girl so it may not apply. (shrug) I hope I'm wrong but the Newbie girl seems all about the financials and we have yet to see a pic of a comic.

At this point would you trust any pic posted?  Or would there be reason to assume it was just some random pic taken off the internet?

On 11/16/2018 at 8:24 PM, Tony S said:

Comic books are an odd collectible. Rarity is NOT the prime driver of value. Demand is the main driver of value. If this were not so, New Mutants 98 would be a $5 book. Because there is certainly no SHORTAGE of the book. 

??? It's always supply and demand.

Supply of 10 and demand of 5 = zzz Supply of 10 and demand of 15 = :flipbait:

Supply of 1,000,000 and demand of 500,000 = zzz Supply of 1,000,000 and demand of 2,000,000 = :flipbait:

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

??? It's always supply and demand.

Supply of 10 and demand of 5 = zzz Supply of 10 and demand of 15 = :flipbait:

Supply of 1,000,000 and demand of 500,000 = zzz Supply of 1,000,000 and demand of 2,000,000 = :flipbait:

I agree. But that is not what I said originally. 

In some fields of collectibles, that fact that an item is rare is what makes collectors want said item.  In the comic book hobby, rarity alone does not impress near so many collectors. 
And yes, price wise it is always supply and demand. But rarity alone does not make collectors want a comic book. 

5 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I agree. But that is not what I said originally. 

In some fields of collectibles, that fact that an item is rare is what makes collectors want said item.  In the comic book hobby, rarity alone does not impress near so many collectors. 
And yes, price wise it is always supply and demand. But rarity alone does not make collectors want a comic book. 

I would have agreed with you a decade ago, but now, whether real, perceived, or even falsely hyped, rarity seems to attract enough buyers to significantly affect the market.

Lazya-s, I mean lazy boy, what is pathetic is you copying a few brief, out of context blurbs from a back and forth string. You’re comment is not appreciated ( they started it, lol). If you have something of relevance to contribute then fine, otherwise keep the personal comments to yourself.

Your point about supply and demand is obviously correct but not very revealing except to those that do not have the most basic understanding of economics. So, that being said how do yo see the supply and demand of Stan lee’s Signature playing out moving forward?

Despite Stan Lee signing an incredible volume of comic books and other memorabilia throughout his life, The Man's signature will continue to go up in price over time.  It will rise and fall periodically to some degree, but demand is not going to diminish significantly.  There is plenty of supply to meet that demand, though, so you should only notice exponential increases in value on the older keys that Stan actually wrote and that were already rare and desirable to begin with, even without his signature. 

There is already a market of collectors trying to complete runs of Stan Lee signed books, so even non-keys in mid-level grades are subject to rise, particularly on core Silver Age Marvel titles.

Don't expect much difference in value on signed modern books he really had nothing to with directly.