• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Stan Lee’s signature going up in value?

112 posts in this topic

Stan Lee signed his name to near worthlessness.

Not to mention, it has to be one of the worst signatures available.  It literally looks like a blotchy smudge scribbled on a comic by a 4 year old with a big ol' fat marker.

His signature placement usually defaces the cover art to boot !

When Stan makes his appearances in the next Marvel movies there's going to be major ovations going on in the audience.  It will be a joy to see him up on the big screen.

Here's my question... Does anyone know which Convention Stan did his last SS signing before he passed?  CGC puts the date of his signing on the label so I think having a slab with his last day of signing would be pretty special.

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

It literally looks like a blotchy smudge scribbled on a comic by a 4 year old with a big ol' fat marker.

His signature placement usually defaces the cover art to boot !

Unless you find one of the old sigs, where he didn't deface the cover and took his time with a skinny ball point pen.

P1050718.JPG

41 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

When Stan makes his appearances in the next Marvel movies there's going to be major ovations going on in the audience.  It will be a joy to see him up on the big screen.

Here's my question... Does anyone know which Convention Stan did his last SS signing before he passed?  CGC puts the date of his signing on the label so I think having a slab with his last day of signing would be pretty special.

One of my friends posted this dumb thing to FB a couple of times (and I corrected him both times):

"One day, you'll be sitting in a theater watching a Marvel movie, and by the end of it you'll have this weird feeling as if something's missing. Then, at the end, you'll see "Dedicated to Stan Lee" and realize he didn't make a cameo."

He has cameos in both Captain Marvel and Avengers 4. I was told that both of them will be dedicated to Stan Lee. After that, it would be astronomically unlikely, that future films will be dedicated to him. They may definitely be credited to him.

Some people don't use their brains when posting or sharing on FB (or elsewhere).

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Unless you find one of the old sigs, where he didn't deface the cover and took his time with a skinny ball point pen.

P1050718.JPG

I agree... his 1970's signature was fluid and smooth.  His present day signature or in the last 10 years is very blotchy and horrible.

19 hours ago, comic girl said:

Ok no-baller, I mean low baller, who are you exactly that you speak for everyone on the board. Be careful that you don’t start to brag and then can’t back it up. BTW I never claimed that these were my best books, just up there with my favourites. Rest assured that I’ve got a lot more ammo in store for goods like you should the necessity arise.

My god, you're a real long piece.  You have NOTHING useful to contribute.  

Traffic.  Road.  Are you playing in it yet?  Then go.

Ya ok mystafo, why don’t you re-read all of your posts in this thread and see just how useful your contributions have been. Why even get involved in a thread if you don’t like the content. You seem like a very pretentious person to me with a “holier than thou” attitude. I suggest you make like the wind and blow. Besides don’t you have more important things to do than squabble with the neophytes on this site?

Now back to the discussion; although stan’s earlier signatures may be more fluid and cleaner, I still think that his most recent ones are just as valuable as well. The fact that it’s his name written in his hand is enough for me, although I have seen some smudgy ones done with thicker markers that are not overly appealing. 

And on another note regarding his last signing session as mentioned by gadzooks, generally speaking does anyone know if a signature is more valuable if it is written nearer to the signator’s Death?

Hey human torch, yes maybe bragging a little bit about my collection but what’s wrong with that? This is a comic collection board is it not? And regarding the finger I think you're over-reacting a bit, I’m sure you’ve seen heard and done a lot worse. We’re all adults here right? Complaining about a pic of a middle finger seems quite persnickety on your part.

Probably if you waited for today to start your OP you'd have seemed less ghoulish to a lot of Stan's biggest fans.  Plus the occasionally abrasive personality thing, though OTOH sometimes having no edge means you just end up talking to yourself.

I'm not a big sig fan, though they are out there.  Used to be preferred to have the splash page signed, but somewhere along the Search For More Money the comic world looked at the sports world (or something else like improving Con attendance/revenues or artist & creator revenues) and the industry of SS and other kinds grew rapidly during many years.

Your question really gets down to 'how do you predict the trend of % of all collectors that want sig books (and are will pay a premium for it).'  In sports memorabilia sigs are a big thing.  If all the future comic collectors started out as sports memorabilia collectors probably that % would be high. 

But I have no idea how it will play out since I don't really care about sigs much, except that I regard it as defacement on the cover and therefore think it reduces value in most cases.  Well placed cover sigs by creator - which I think is a pretty small subset of the world of cover-signed books - probably deserve their own set of rules regarding market and predictions.  The rest of them, the 94% (my a$$-pull guess) of sig books that don't have that I'd predict will have no value difference (to slight minus) to comparable un-defaced copy.

Again, based on nothing more than wild speculation with some hunch, no more than 10% of all comic collectors are also sig collectors, but it could easily be 2 or 3 times that.

9 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Stan's last signing likely wouldn't have been a convention, but a private signing. I know he was doing cgc signings for desert winds as recently as august.

You know what grebal, I’m not a huge sig fan either believe it or not. I prefer nice clean covers but the Stan Lee signs are growing on me primarily due to his enormous popularity, icon status and the seemingly proliferous demand. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, NoMan said:

What makes one comic book collection superior to another?

How many copies of Superior Spider-Man you have.

19 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Stan Lee signed his name to near worthlessness.

Not to mention, it has to be one of the worst signatures available.  It literally looks like a blotchy smudge scribbled on a comic by a 4 year old with a big ol' fat marker.

You think Stan's sig is bad, have you seen Frank Miller or Jim Starlin?

And honestly, I get that it's Friday, but I can't believe this thread is still going.  At this point, we're just feeding the troll.  (And yes, I realize the irony/hypocrisy that is this post)

Edited by ExNihilo

On 11/30/2018 at 2:40 PM, comic girl said:

Hey human torch, yes maybe bragging a little bit about my collection but what’s wrong with that? This is a comic collection board is it not? And regarding the finger I think you're over-reacting a bit, I’m sure you’ve seen heard and done a lot worse. We’re all adults here right? Complaining about a pic of a middle finger seems quite persnickety on your part.

"Definition of braggart 

a loud arrogant boaster"

I'm reasonably trying to point out that you're posts are generally about the value of your books and how great and superior your books and knowledge about the hobby are. You're coming across as a braggart.and you're admitting to it in my quote.  It's why you're getting so much push back in this thread.  

What I've seen, heard and or done doesn't have anything to do with your post giving people in this thread the finger.  Yes, I'm pretty persnickety :sorry: