• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay the ranting and venting thread

55 posts in this topic

I know this may sound stupid, but I would like my fellow board members to talk me off the ledge. 

Many of you have an eBay account I’m just going to vent hear over something that is very stupid, I know , but some people on eBay or absolutely unwittingly demanding rude insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. 

I have been on eBay since 2003 I have 1003 positive feedback zero negative and this weekend I sold a comic book with a mark jewelers insert in it. I thought it would probably get around $10-$15. Well I was wrong it’s sold for $2.25 to somebody Who has a six feedback rating. 

After winning the book and before paying he asks if the Mark jewelers insert is still attached (in the description it  stated that it was attached ) then he proceeds to put a  sellers note saying “please ship in a comic secure box not a flimsy envelope thanks“.

He’s assuming that I shipped and a  flimsy envelope which some people do but as a seller who only sells  comics I’m very perturbed when someone with a low feedback rating is very demanding especially when winning a book that even the guide says is $12 for two dollars. Now don’t get me wrong I understand I put the book up for auction on a holiday weekend but still I thought it would get closer to the $12 I didn’t lose any money on the book Im more or less just venting about the people who are very demanding over winning a book  at such a low price!

Please let this be and eBay venting  threat. And by all means everyone can tell me to shut up everyone can make fun of me everyone can call me an insufficiently_thoughtful_person that’s fine I know going into this that I will probably catch some heat from some of the board members but I just wanted to vent and give you guys something to either laugh at me about ,agree with me about, poke fun of me about!

Now that I’m done ranting or venting I/O everyone here on the board a giant thank you for even listening. 

Now go enjoy your day!

It is the way of the world rude buyers and rude sellers all around.The cheaper they get it the more they want so i try to stay clear of that sight for the most. I feel your pain for some are never happy no matter what you do :cry:

2 minutes ago, comicjack said:

It is the way of the world rude buyers and rude sellers all around.The cheaper they get it the more they want so i try to stay clear of that sight for the most. I feel your pain for some are never happy no matter what you do :cry:

are you calling me rude good sir ?! lol

just kidding even if you are making fun of me I find it hilarious 🤣.  I think we all need to vent  sometimes.  

Thanks for listening .

13 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Most eBay comics I receive are shipped poorly so I can understand why people ask the seller to properly package them.

The OP already went into the sale with a poor attitude because of the low sale which influenced your overall attitude about the buyer asking questions.  A buyer should always be in the right to ask anything IMO.

The right to ask anything? Even after the buyer has committed to the purchase?

To ask for 2 weeks to pay even though the listing terms said 5 days? To demand box shipping even though the listing stated envelope shipping? 

I understand the OP has some sour grapes over the sale price, but it seems reasonable that a buyer make specific requests before they commit to a purchase. 

There’s nothing wrong with a polite nudge with regard to secure shipping when paying, but demanding a different form of shipping after the fact is something else. 

8 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Most eBay comics I receive are shipped poorly so I can understand why people ask the seller to properly package them.

The OP already went into the sale with a poor attitude because of the low sale which influenced your overall attitude about the buyer asking questions.  A buyer should always be in the right to ask anything IMO.

Not a poor ( although I can see where you’re coming from ) Attitude I just found it funny that someone would be so demanding after winning a book for so cheap. But i guess i didnt come off that way!

39 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

And i should add that i dont mind the questions before or after the sale.  I think what bothered me the most is.... I don’t really know what bothered me the most maybe it was the Phrasing/tone and the assumption of somebody not doing something correctly. I guess I’m naïve in the fact that when I buy something on eBay or even here on the boards  I expect somebody who selling the box to be able to do shipping correctly.

18 minutes ago, Raze said:

And i should add that i dont mind the questions before or after the sale.  I think what bothered me the most is.... I don’t really know what bothered me the most maybe it was the Phrasing/tone and the assumption of somebody not doing something correctly. I guess I’m naïve in the fact that when I buy something on eBay or even here on the boards  I expect somebody who selling the box to be able to do shipping correctly.

It seems like what bothered you the most is the low selling price and someone with a low feedback score asking you a question about proper shipping.  I've had many books damaged by eBay sellers not knowing how to properly ship a book so I get anyone asking after the sale to ship correctly.  And to Number 6's point, might as well ask before receiving and the book not entirely being what you thought it would be.  Changing a shipping method would be different but asking to ship in the envelope with proper cardboard backing would suffice.  Automatically assuming that a buyer with low feedback score doesn't know what they are doing or going to be problematic is a bit pretentious.

29 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

It seems like what bothered you the most is the low selling price and someone with a low feedback score asking you a question about proper shipping.  I've had many books damaged by eBay sellers not knowing how to properly ship a book so I get anyone asking after the sale to ship correctly.  And to Number 6's point, might as well ask before receiving and the book not entirely being what you thought it would be.  Changing a shipping method would be different but asking to ship in the envelope with proper cardboard backing would suffice.  Automatically assuming that a buyer with low feedback score doesn't know what they are doing or going to be problematic is a bit pretentious.

Ok so ive said i dont care about the sale price. As to the low fedback that might have something to do with it, but honestly i think it was the tone of the buyer. I know a lot gets lost in translation via text and should have let it go but i wanted to see what the boards thought. 

I feel like I’m having to defend myself against you which is a good thing. It’s always nice to hear a different point of view  just keep myself honest!!

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

If it’s important enough to ask after the sale it’s important enough to ask before the sale.

So why wait?

If your truely concerned about how securely your book is packed there’s some simple steps to take before you commit to transaction that are more effective at getting what you want.

The seller’s stated shippjng costs will usually give you a clue if they’re shipping by envelope. A quick check of feedback will tip you off if they’ve had serious problem with damage due to poor shipping. And it takes about 30 seconds to shoot a message and ask if a seller will ship a certain way. 

Or a buyer can just bid whilly-nilly without putting in the remedial efforts mentioned above and wait until they’re in a committed sale before raising those concerns, running the risk of getting stuck dealing with seller who won’t accommodate.

That’s certainly easier for the buyer because at that point he has the seller by the feedback family jewels, which is what makes these kinds of after-the-fact demands irksome for sellers. 

Don"t be ticked about a $2.25 sale if you start auctions at 99 cents. That is the risk you take. Start your auction at a price that won't you off. And then this sort of inquiry won't tick you off. With that said I have probably shipped 700-800 comics/lots in envelopes using 4 sturdy pieces of cardboard on eBay and never had a problem. I did have one here where I somehow (3 am packing) forgot to use box tape and the scotch tape came undone. That was not a problem with method, but rather, execution. 

I also describe my shipping process and say when I use a box because I do often box.

With that said, I do find that sort of e-mail irritating, particularly on a cheap book.

What do you charge for shipping?

Edited by the blob

My issue with your issue is that you characterized the buyers request as "very demanding", when you quoted it as  “please ship in a comic secure box not a flimsy envelope thanks“.

I can't find a demanding tone in that.  Also, considering the threads dedicated to describing and showing horrible shipping methods, it doesn't seem unreasonable. 

The buyers low feedback does not mean he is not aware of ebay shipping nightmares. 

5 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

My issue with your issue is that you characterized the buyers request as "very demanding", when you quoted it as  “please ship in a comic secure box not a flimsy envelope thanks“.

I can't find a demanding tone in that.  Also, considering the threads dedicated to describing and showing horrible shipping methods, it doesn't seem unreasonable. 

The buyers low feedback does not mean he is not aware of ebay shipping nightmares. 

It comes off as demanding because 1) the listing has a stated method/cost for shipping 2) the seller may describe how he packs (the blob and I do, don’t know if the op does) 3) the buyer pays for the cost of the stated shipping 4) immediately insists (demands) that the seller ship using a method that may different than what was stated in the listing, and therefore may cost more than what he paid for. 

This wasn’t a polite “please pack securely” which is completely understandable. It’s not a “hey, just curious as to how you plan on packing my books?” which is a bit hoarse-out/barn-closed but is still reasonable. 

It’s “I paid for x shipping, I expect y shipping!”  

That’s a bit demanding.