• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One box method of collecting: Who does this?

47 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MyCameo said:

So how does ones' weekly comics fit into this type of collecting? You can't sell them individually because they aren't worth anything. Do you give them away? Try to sell them as a large lot? I'm sure nobody just throws them away (tsk)

You sell them for 50 cents to $1 here? 

What I'm hoping to see at some point in the discussion is someone who doesn't automatically think that the more expensive book is the better one, and the one worth keeping.  I find it hard to believe that everyone's most expensive books are automatically their favorites, unless it's all about the price tag and not the book itself.

9 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

What I'm hoping to see at some point in the discussion is someone who doesn't automatically think that the more expensive book is the better one, and the one worth keeping.  I find it hard to believe that everyone's most expensive books are automatically their favorites, unless it's all about the price tag and not the book itself.

Bingo.  My favorite books arent worth jack.  My most expensive are mostly boring.  

20 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Well the concepts aren't mutually exclusive. You're reading into this a little bit.  Maybe your one shortbox holds less valuable books only, or mostly less valuable books, or the handful your Dad gave you.  That being said, there is correlation between what's cool and what's expensive.  There's a lot of cool stuff I can't have because I can't afford it. 

15 hours ago, MyCameo said:

So how does ones' weekly comics fit into this type of collecting? You can't sell them individually because they aren't worth anything. Do you give them away? Try to sell them as a large lot? I'm sure nobody just throws them away (tsk)

I'd wager that a large percentage of the boardies in this forum don't buy new books at all, so it's not an issue for a lot of folks.

I'd say that if folks want to read the new books without accumulating more stuff, digital is the way to go. It's a cheap and wonderful way to read. A Marvel Universe sub is about $10 a month, and I think it runs 3 (maybe 6?) months behind release date, so if you're not obsessed with staying right on top of storylines, it's definitely the best approach for those that want to read without having more books to keep up with.

As for me, my holds have dwindled to a pretty small pull list, and in order to accommodate my new "less is more" philosophy, I think I'm going to cut my list down even further to just the essentials: Batman and Love and Rockets, and probably Tec and Wonder Woman. If they ever launch another Swamp Thing monthly, i'd have to keep that run going as well.