• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee CGC SS and the Vultures (not the Spidey Villain)
1 1

188 posts in this topic

Maybe the majority of us were wrong and the zillions of SL signatures out there don’t matter and prices will phenomenally spike upwards forever. 

I didn’t think that would happen (prices shoot up forever) but there was always a small nagging thought that it was entirely possible they would

3 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

My belief remains exactly the same as it has been for years - there will be an initial spike which will settle down. And over the long run, the books that will do the best will be books that he actually wrote, with tight, clean, well-placed sigs.  Moderns that he had nothing to do with and poorly placed sloppy sigs will suffer the most. But i still expect them to always operate at a premium to blue label books of the same grade. And I think that even keys that he had nothing to do with (Hulk 181 NM 98 etc.) will remain with a significant bump over blue or non-Stan SS.

Totally agree! I was monitoring eBay just to see what was happening and as predicted, there was a huge spike in sales such as posting books and buying books that were signed by Stan.

It was quit disheartening but it has been a trend with writers and artists that are passing away as of late. 

I think the spike will plateau after a while (give it 6 months or so) but as stated, Stan signed books are going to cost more now.  The bad sigs (from the last few signings) will hopefully go away, as those will be sold first and then non-keys and then keys that are a higher price will eventually be the last ones left. 

At least he is in a better place now and all the bad stuff and bad press that has come up lately, he won't have to deal with anymore. 

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Here's a post that popped up in one of my Facebook group threads. 

Now a business can do what they want, and I can understand pulling stock while trying to figure out the market. 

But to not honor completed sales in an interest of relisting at new (wonder if they'll be higher?) prices....  sketchy

46168493_10156626824807209_3318825979576582144_n.jpg.9d564f8418f68f65bc97f4f6aea2db31.jpg

well there's a good ending to this one. The retailer has bowed to internet pressure and virtual pitchforks and agreed to honor the sales that occurred before he pulled the items. 

sad to hear of his passing; read all the comments, that just me off when people just over price anything just because they pass away; i myself had a bad signing with Stan so much i told my family i didn't want to take a pic with him, now i am a shamed and wish i did; But in the long run my kids had an oppourtunities  to see him and enjoy someone that brought so much joy to my life when i was their age,and unlike most people at the comic cons my kids got to ask him 3 to 4 question that he answer i got vids of it and he personalize the books for them. so in the end i was the real jerk acting like a kid and miss the moments that i had with him because i never thought he would be gone so soon and so i called my dad an went out father, son and grandsons day with my old man. 

4 minutes ago, g-man said:

:insane:  I saw that last night as well.  Also, apparently there are collectors paying premiums for "nicer" Stan Lee signatures.

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

let the flood gate opens. it's about to get really, really pathetic. 

Edited by NoMan

33 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

The price that the bust sold for really pisses me off. It'll be relisted in a week. 

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

well there's a good ending to this one. The retailer has bowed to internet pressure and virtual pitchforks and agreed to honor the sales that occurred before he pulled the items. 

unfortunately he already revealed what kind of person he is and that will leave a lasting mark.  As the jerky boys would say he's gonna be feeling numb and sting-y for a while-

As Stan Lee was so significant to and revered by so many people, you would think it would be pretty obvious that exploitation during a period of shock, loss and grieving would result in a tremendous amount of resentment and anger, and it's sad to see such a deficit of common sense.  

I have absolutely no sympathy for what the dealers are now experiencing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, seanfingh said:

My belief remains exactly the same as it has been for years - there will be an initial spike which will settle down. And over the long run, the books that will do the best will be books that he actually wrote, with tight, clean, well-placed sigs.  Moderns that he had nothing to do with and poorly placed sloppy sigs will suffer the most. But i still expect them to always operate at a premium to blue label books of the same grade. And I think that even keys that he had nothing to do with (Hulk 181 NM 98 etc.) will remain with a significant bump over blue or non-Stan SS.

This !  and there are a lot of books he wrote that are not loaded with SS copies. Some gems out there!

16 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Vulture_(Adrian_Toomes).png

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

As Stan Lee was so significant to and revered by so many people, you would think it would be pretty obvious that exploitation during a period of shock, loss and grieving would result in a tremendous amount of resentment and anger, and it's sad to see such a deficit of common sense.  

I have absolutely no sympathy for what the dealers are now experiencing.

I agree and I have no dog in this fight. I also agree with what Sean said entirely. It's a spike and it will settle down.

If certain sellers are so morally bereft that they cannot wait at least until he's been put to rest,then shame on them...apparently Gekko lives.

But really Lee sig books are not rare and there are gazillions out there, so it's a case of panic buying from the nerds who want a piece of the legend. The complete irony is that Stan would love it. He was not a modest man and all this fuss would be a suitable ego massage for him.

I'm sure he'd be laughing his socks off.