• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee CGC SS and the Vultures (not the Spidey Villain)
1 1

188 posts in this topic

There's a guy who already had his listing overpriced at $3,333 for Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by Stan Lee. After his passing, he raised the price to $5,555 (keep in mind this is only 1 of the 6 books).

I'm interested in owning some memorabilia signed by Stan at some point, but I'm not going to overreact and pay way more than something is worth just because he has sadly passed. IMO the buyers who are overreacting are going to be very disappointed in the amount they overspent for their book or the amount that it sells for in the future.

Here is a related question.  Every Con I've been to that Stan is doing signing at you can hear the money getting sucked out of the room and deposited into the Stan sig line.  Now that that will not occur again do you think the buying public will spend their money elsewhere while attending Cons or do you think Stan brought in the people and they won't be coming back?

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Here is a related question.  Every Con I've been to that Stan is doing signing at you can hear the money getting sucked out of the room and deposited into the Stan sig line.  Now that that will not occur again do you think the buying public will spend their money elsewhere while attending Cons or do you think Stan brought in the people and they won't be coming back?

I'm sure some dealers will get a bump in sales. I've only been a dealer at one Stan Lee show but I remember the floor getting rather empty when Stan was signing.

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I've been to a bunch of cons where Stan Lee was signing. I remember Rhode Island a couple of years back where people would actually fighting over Stan Lee tickets because his tickets actually "sold out". It was ridiculous. I guess now Conventions can spend more money on other entertainers or entertainment since they no longer have Stan to bring in the crowds. 

:eek:

24 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Good question.

I would think that maybe the more 'casual' people will hold off, while die-hard comic collectors/fans/readers will spend that money elsewhere. Overall, I think it will be better for sellers, but 'worse'* for the overall profit of the venues.

*Sometimes less population is better, though...

42 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

There's a guy who already had his listing overpriced at $3,333 for Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by Stan Lee. After his passing, he raised the price to $5,555 (keep in mind this is only 1 of the 6 books).

I'm interested in owning some memorabilia signed by Stan at some point, but I'm not going to overreact and pay way more than something is worth just because he has sadly passed. IMO the buyers who are overreacting are going to be very disappointed in the amount they overspent for their book or the amount that it sells for in the future.

Yeah I’m not sure that’s true, the part about them being disappointed.  While it’s pretty disagreeable to think of people trying to profit off of Stan’s death, I’ve also grown a bit numb to it as it seems like it happens each time any famous person passes.  But the one thing I’d add is that I think the people who come out to suddenly buy in these situations (and therefore are fine buying at those ridiculous prices) are the kinds of fans who just want to celebrate/mourn the life of someone who was important to them.  So they want a “piece” of that person.  So what I’m saying is, I can’t imagine a lot of this overpriced stuff is being bought by collectors for the purposes of being later sold for a profit.  I think it’s going into people’s collections and up on people’s walls.  So they’ll never be concerned about whether or not they overspent.. since they won’t be in the market again after this one and done purchase.

For me, I’ve never understood the fascination with autographs.  But that’s personal.  I do like meeting people... and I’m ok with the concept of taking a photo with someone to remember meeting them.   And getting them to sign THAT photo? I think that’s cool.  But just someone’s name on a piece of paper or a book?  I don’t know... it doesn’t do anything for me.  Glad others enjoy it though.

1 minute ago, fmaz said:

Yeah I’m not sure that’s true, the part about them being disappointed.  While it’s pretty disagreeable to think of people trying to profit off of Stan’s death, I’ve also grown a bit numb to it as it seems like it happens each time any famous person passes.  But the one thing I’d add is that I think the people who come out to suddenly buy in these situations (and therefore are fine buying at those ridiculous prices) are the kinds of fans who just want to celebrate/mourn the life of someone who was important to them.  So they want a “piece” of that person.  So what I’m saying is, I can’t imagine a lot of this overpriced stuff is being bought by collectors for the purposes of being later sold for a profit.  I think it’s going into people’s collections and up on people’s walls.  So they’ll never be concerned about whether or not they overspent.. since they won’t be in the market again after this one and done purchase.

For me, I’ve never understood the fascination with autographs.  But that’s personal.  I do like meeting people... and I’m ok with the concept of taking a photo with someone to remember meeting them.   And getting them to sign THAT photo? I think that’s cool.  But just someone’s name on a piece of paper or a book?  I don’t know... it doesn’t do anything for me.  Glad others enjoy it though.

Really? If you buy a book now for $1k that you later see listed for half-price, you're not going to be disappointed that you overspent by way of overreacting and buying it during the hype-train? I'm sure the guy that bought Batman Damned Gem Mint for $8k isn't happy with his impatience that cost him upwards of $7,000.

Stan Lee is basically the biggest name in comic creation. People who don't normally buy his comics are buying his comics right now. One person is doing it to get that memorabilia, and another is doing it to garner profit. It's why I can't get a reader copy of Batman Damned, because it was all over the news, and Johnny-know-nothing bought all of the copies locally to turn a profit.

28 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It's why I can't get a reader copy of Batman Damned, because it was all over the news, and Johnny-know-nothing bought all of the copies locally to turn a profit.

He knew enough to get one before you. :cry:

I was thinking Neal Adams might be the new "gotta get it" signature for those who are into it. Sinnott does make sense too. 

I will never own a SL signature-- not something I need or really collect.

But I do wonder what was the last item he signed (if that can even be verified) and whether that is something significant. Someone has that last item - it would be interesting to know what it was and who has it.

22 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I was thinking Neal Adams might be the new "gotta get it" signature for those who are into it. Sinnott does make sense too. 

I will never own a SL signature-- not something I need or really collect.

But I do wonder what was the last item he signed (if that can even be verified) and whether that is something significant. Someone has that last item - it would be interesting to know what it was and who has it.

Even if it's just a scribbled incoherent mess?

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Theyll just (keep on) spending it on Todd

quick cool story.. I once bought a collection off someone who had to be working for CGC (plenty of pre-screen stickers on bags and a CGC comic con badge were the giving signs lol), the collection itself was about 4-5 long boxes with alot fluff... some semi keys and 60-70s books thrown in just to sweeten the pot... I really wasnt going to get it... he then said ok wait a sec... went upstairs and came back down with 4 graded books.. Nothing major, some 4.5-7.0 silver DDs, and a Modern X-Men 9.0ish... All signed by Stan... He asked me, how about now? I went ahead and bought all of them for 350. Really happy I did

Not a popular opinion, and I love Stan...but he and his customers have ruined millions of dollars worth of books with his sloppy autograph and it's placement on said books...I know his signature got worse as he aged and I'm not a yellow label guy,  but I cringe at some of these keys he has defaced...to each his own of course...I will admit I occasionally like some yellows with nice penmanship and placement...Frazetta, Kirby, Adams etc...these guys seem to treat the comics with more respect...again this is all my opinion...

Edited by JTD

8 minutes ago, JTD said:

Not a popular opinion, and I love Stan...but he and his customers have ruined millions of dollars worth of books with his sloppy autograph and it's placement on said books...I know his signature got worse as he aged and I'm not a yellow label guy,  but I cringe at some of these keys he has defaced...to each his own of course...I will admit I occasionally like some yellows with nice penmanship and placement...Frazetta, Kirby, Adams etc...these guys seem to treat the comics with more respect...again this is all my opinion...

I like sigs.  I have books with sigs on them.  That said, it does reduce the availability of high grade blue label books.  Now if I'm getting a book signed, I try to make sure I have a nice unsigned copy as well.