• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee CGC SS and the Vultures (not the Spidey Villain)
1 1

188 posts in this topic

Stan Lee's death was reported 24 hours ago. 

Within 5 hours there were 2200+ "Stan Lee CGC SS" listings on ebay

By the end of the evening there were 2500+ listings.

And at 24hrs later we are near 2700 listings. 

Im seeing low/mid grade comics marked up 50-75% vs last week, and higher grade comics getting marked up in some cases 200-300%

Now, there is always market interest in autographs after someones passing. And many of these auctions were already "in flight" before Stan's passing. 

And there is an inherent price/value to Stan's CGC SS books due to the cost of signing and slabbing. 

Im starting this thread just so I have a place to note things Im seeing the market do, since this was a big question ("how does the volume of Stan Lee SS books impact value when he passes away?") over the years. 

Feel free to add..

Here's a post that popped up in one of my Facebook group threads. 

Now a business can do what they want, and I can understand pulling stock while trying to figure out the market. 

But to not honor completed sales in an interest of relisting at new (wonder if they'll be higher?) prices....  sketchy

46168493_10156626824807209_3318825979576582144_n.jpg.9d564f8418f68f65bc97f4f6aea2db31.jpg

Out of curiosity I checked eBay completed listings when I heard of Stan’s passing. 

Prior to yesterday Stan SS books were selling about a half dozen a day. Within an hour of the news the sales jumped to dozens. 

So it’s not just listings and prices that are up, sales are up too.  

I don’t how aware these buyers are of Stan signed material. I suppose in a way it’s similar behavior to when there’s a movie announcement: people always wanted one but procrastinated. The new hits and they think “Crud, I better hurry up and get this nailed down”. 

Yeah - it's disrespectful, but it's also logical.

1) We saw the same (and/or worse) when Frazetta passed.

2) Most of us have been in this game long enough to realize that speculative comic book markets thrive on attention. Thousands of people of thinking of Stan Lee today who weren't last week - and many now think it'd be a great time to re-read some classic stories -- and/or buy one of his sig. series books.

So...vultures gonna' vulture, and take advantage of the news cycle, but true fans will stay the course -- buying his books long after this month.

I don't find this nearly as reprehensible as say...Chuck literally holding sales because his "business was hurt by lack of sales from areas hit by Hurricane Katrina."

And, to be clear, I have not joined the ranks of those rushing to put Stan Lee-written (and/or signed) books up for sale.

Quite, the opposite, in fact -- I'm trying to put together a run of Sig Series McFarlane Hulks that have been signed by McFarlane _but not_ also Stan Lee. And that's virtually impossible. First, the lone Sig. Series 9.8 copy of # 343 isn't signed by McFarlane. Second, 9.8 books that have been signed by McFarlane (yay!) and Lee (boo!) seem to outnumber 9.8 books signed by just McFarlane by about 3 to 1.

21 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Now a business can do what they want, and I can understand pulling stock while trying to figure out the market. 

But to not honor completed sales in an interest of relisting at new (wonder if they'll be higher?) prices....  sketchy

46168493_10156626824807209_3318825979576582144_n.jpg.9d564f8418f68f65bc97f4f6aea2db31.jpg

As a business, cancelling completed orders like that seems pretty despicable.  I'd be pretty pissed if I were one of those completed orders.

Stan Lee is probably the easiest autograph to get for any "collector". The amount of autographs he signed over the years is probably staggering. I have probably a dozen books signed by him starting all the way back to the late '60's. Never cost me anything and I have no intention of selling any.  What was he charging for an autograph in the past couple of years? $100.? So what a book is really worth is the price of the book + $100.... Alive or Dead...

20 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

As a business, cancelling completed orders like that seems pretty despicable.  I'd be pretty pissed if I were one of those completed orders.

Yeah, that's pretty low for orders already put in and paid for. Good grief, or should I say good "greed"!

I’m a little slow: did this J & J Collectables place halt SL signature sales out of respect or they realized that after his death they could charge more and had to halt sales to reprice everything higher?

Edited by NoMan

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I’m a little slow: did this J & J Collectables place halt SL signature sales out of respect or they realized that after his death they could charge more and had to halt sales to reprice everything higher?

What happened for sure. After Stan passed away there were a number of sales of autographed items on their site. 

At some point after Stan's passing they pulled all items that were SL signed from their website. (ok thats one thing)

but they ALSO went back to those who had made purchases and said they would not be filling those orders placed.  (that's definitely in the wrong)

They are now saying that the reason they pulled the items and arent honoring orders is because the pricing was wrong on their site. 

I dont know how long the pricing was "wrong" , and they have since gone back and edited their original comments. They say that the signed 8x10s  were listed at $80, when it cost $150.

I have no idea what Stan was charging for a signed 8x10, sounded like this was from a private signing. 

42 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

This seems unconscionable, to cancel existing orders that have already been paid and processed.  Anyone affected or local should yelp it or call bleeding cool or their local district attorney or news organization.  Or call the owner's mom and grandma.

11 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Too little too late:

jj3.jpg.aab2986b2f6a2d83165fdadd4f94111d.jpg

Who made Darkhawk famous?