• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Feature Book #20 (The Phantom #1) 1939
1 1

23 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey, do those cuts on the cover go all the way through?  I mean, is there a piece completely detached that's been taped back on?  Or are they partially cut through?

I just looked closer at it with a magnifying glass. It does't look like any pieces have been reattached. It looks like the small pieces of tape around the edges are holding some tears together. But I don't see any tears where the large piece of tape is. 

It looks like someone took a black marker to the outline of the Phantom character. I wonder if they used the large piece of tape to cover some bleed through. 

Also, it looks like the cover has been reattached to the spine. 

19 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

IMHO, 2.5.  But I think it would get a purple label due to the marker outline of the Phantom.  It has the errors of a "good", but it gets a bump because it still has clean surfaces and eye appeal.

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

2.0/2.5, I don't think a marker has been used, compared to other examples, tape looks as though it may be sealing a cover tear, at least reinforcing a weak point, imo.

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

MAA: 2.0

Thanks for your responses.

Overstreet has 2.0 priced at $161. Does that sound correct?

I've posted a couple other comics that I found out are undervalued by Overstreet and are worth slabbing, thanks to some great input from CGC members. But none of them had possible restoration or cover reattachment like this. 

I'm selling my collection, including this book, and I really don't want to go through the CGC process if it's only worth $161.  

Let's assume it get's a purple label. Anyone have a ballpark idea on price? Don't be afraid of hurting my feelings. I think I paid around 20 bucks for this book way back in the early 80's !

If I'm putting anyone on the spot, I understand if you don't answer. From what I've seen on these forums in my short time as a member, it looks like a restored comic is kind of like the black sheep of the family that no one wants to talk about.  

Thanks again for your time. I really, really appreciate you all!

10 hours ago, captain_em said:

Thanks for your responses.

Overstreet has 2.0 priced at $161. Does that sound correct?

I've posted a couple other comics that I found out are undervalued by Overstreet and are worth slabbing, thanks to some great input from CGC members. But none of them had possible restoration or cover reattachment like this. 

I'm selling my collection, including this book, and I really don't want to go through the CGC process if it's only worth $161.  

Let's assume it get's a purple label. Anyone have a ballpark idea on price? Don't be afraid of hurting my feelings. I think I paid around 20 bucks for this book way back in the early 80's !

If I'm putting anyone on the spot, I understand if you don't answer. From what I've seen on these forums in my short time as a member, it looks like a restored comic is kind of like the black sheep of the family that no one wants to talk about.  

Thanks again for your time. I really, really appreciate you all!

This is what MCS reckons they will get for a graded 1.0 blue label.  Whether they get that or not remains to be seen. They can be a good indicator to the market though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phantom-Feature-Book-20-1938-CGC-1-0-1363466001/312275685546?hash=item48b514d0aa:g:eZkAAOSw-2hbzbdr:rk:

Edited by Gnasher

12 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Post it in the sales area at something like half guide and I'll bet it gets snapped up quick

Thanks for your reply.

Do any of you Golden Age collectors know if this is the first comic book cover appearance of The Phantom? I googled it but can't find any. I did see Some Big Little Books from around 1936.

2 minutes ago, captain_em said:

Thanks for your reply.

Do any of you Golden Age collectors know if this is the first comic book cover appearance of The Phantom? I googled it but can't find any. I did see Some Big Little Books from around 1936.

If you read the  description in the MCS link I gave you, it gives all the background to the book there. :wink:

7 hours ago, Gnasher said:

If you read the  description in the MCS link I gave you, it gives all the background to the book there. :wink:

Yes, I read it. Thanks for sending the link, I really appreciate it. 

MCS calls it the "first official Phantom comic book", which I'm assuming is the same thing as Overstreet designating it as Phantom #1 . Overstreet also states that The Phantoms first comic book appearance is in Ace Comics #11.  I know that Overstreet almost always mentions the "first cover appearance" of almost all major (and many minor) characters. I don't see it mentioned in either one of these series (Ace Comics or Feature Books), and I can't seem to find the "first comic book cover" reference of the Phantom anywhere else, either in Overstreet or through googling. I'm pretty sure I found the correct pictures of the Ace Comics series. All I see are Katzenjammer Kids, no Phantom.

I'm selling this book, and it would be nice to know if Overstreet has overlooked giving it The Phantom's "first cover appearance". Other members on these forums have been kind enough to notify me of other other Overstreet discrepancies. If it is his first cover, I'm gonna go ahead and take the chance of slabbing it and selling it at auction, restored or not. If it's not his first appearance, I'll probably sell it on the CGC for sale forum.

Either way, I'm not gonna put it up for sale till I find out when Phantom first appeared on a comic book cover. I'm on a mission from God! :angel:

4 hours ago, captain_em said:

Yes, I read it. Thanks for sending the link, I really appreciate it. 

MCS calls it the "first official Phantom comic book", which I'm assuming is the same thing as Overstreet designating it as Phantom #1 . Overstreet also states that The Phantoms first comic book appearance is in Ace Comics #11.  I know that Overstreet almost always mentions the "first cover appearance" of almost all major (and many minor) characters. I don't see it mentioned in either one of these series (Ace Comics or Feature Books), and I can't seem to find the "first comic book cover" reference of the Phantom anywhere else, either in Overstreet or through googling. I'm pretty sure I found the correct pictures of the Ace Comics series. All I see are Katzenjammer Kids, no Phantom.

I'm selling this book, and it would be nice to know if Overstreet has overlooked giving it The Phantom's "first cover appearance". Other members on these forums have been kind enough to notify me of other other Overstreet discrepancies. If it is his first cover, I'm gonna go ahead and take the chance of slabbing it and selling it at auction, restored or not. If it's not his first appearance, I'll probably sell it on the CGC for sale forum.

Either way, I'm not gonna put it up for sale till I find out when Phantom first appeared on a comic book cover. I'm on a mission from God! :angel:

Here's a blow by blow account of The Phantom appearances....

http://comicskingdom.com/blog/2012/09/25/ask-the-archivist-phantom-firsts

12 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Thank you, Gnasher! Very fun to read ! Looks like there's almost a cult following of the Phantom in some countries. In Australia, 1,644 consecutive issues since 1948, and still printing. Wow! 

12 hours ago, Gnasher said:

BTW- I've decided to slab this book and take a chance at auction. Another member informed me that the Ace Comics #11 at Comic Link has already shattered a record for it's grade, and there's still 10 days left to bid. I know my Feature Book #20 is a low-grade, but I'm hoping the Overstreet Advisors may have also "mis-advised" it's value! :smile::wishluck:   Thanks again for your help!

9 minutes ago, captain_em said:

BTW- I've decided to slab this book and take a chance at auction. Another member informed me that the Ace Comics #11 at Comic Link has already shattered a record for it's grade, and there's still 10 days left to bid. I know my Feature Book #20 is a low-grade, but I'm hoping the Overstreet Advisors may have also "mis-advised" it's value! :smile::wishluck:   Thanks again for your help!

Best of luck Cap'n,  :wishluck: Let us know how the grade turns out, please. (thumbsu

30 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Best of luck Cap'n,  :wishluck: Let us know how the grade turns out, please. (thumbsu

Will do!

As far as grading goes, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm gonna assume restoration. But I only paid around $20 bucks for it, and it will be nice to get it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.

Actually......I'm lying. I hope it's not restored.:smile: