• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone used these mailers?

29 posts in this topic

https://www.amazon.com/Comic-Flash-Mailers-Sizes-Digests/dp/B00S53MVME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542141627&sr=8-1&keywords=comic%2Bbook%2Bmailers&th=1

Seems like magazines, etc. probably don't fit. In one place says can fit golden age, but elsewhere mentions modern size comics.

Edited by the blob

So my take on these, after receiving about 100 in the mail, is they are not safe for mailing unless you beef them up with some interior cardboard.  They usually come in with big corner crunches on them.

I reuse the ones I have received in the mail, but usually for interior packaging within a priority box.

25 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

So my take on these, after receiving about 100 in the mail, is they are not safe for mailing unless you beef them up with some interior cardboard.  They usually come in with big corner crunches on them.

I reuse the ones I have received in the mail, but usually for interior packaging within a priority box.

I agree.

27 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

+1  I use these but also add 2-3 corrugated layer pads to make them sturdy.  They fit nicely inside a USPS Flat Rate Envelope and hold about 6 comics. 

Right, I assume all of these mailers need carboard because comics are going to move around otherwise, but putting them inside a flat rate envelope should provide another level of protection because that envelope stiffness will blunt a lot of corner impact.

How do they compare to the U-Line S-164/165 (which I have used before, a long time ago (in like 2002?), and buyers were very enthusiastic about, but I think back then folks were less accustomed to seeing a mailer like this:

https://www.uline.com/BL_1301/Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

The genesis ones seem slightly cheaper/cheaper shipping, but are they a lighter weight cardboard?

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Right, I assume all of these mailers need carboard because comics are going to move around otherwise, but putting them inside a flat rate envelope should provide another level of protection because that envelope stiffness will blunt a lot of corner impact.

Maybe...., if it was a regular size flat rate envelope, but these go in the legal size flat rate envelope, which in my experience, the odd size attracts more damage.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

How do they compare to the U-Line S-164/165 (which I have used before, a long time ago (in like 2002?), and buyers were very enthusiastic about, but I think back then folks were less accustomed to seeing a mailer like this:

https://www.uline.com/BL_1301/Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

The genesis ones seem slightly cheaper/cheaper shipping, but are they a lighter weight cardboard?

Again, those are great, but they need to be quite a bit oversize of what you are mailing, and they require 3-4 good stiff pieces of interior cardboard.

The beauty of these is that for one or two books, you can ship cheaper at a first class postage rate.

It's a good extra to your shipping arsenal, along with medium flat rate boxes and Regional Rate A boxes.

And, my experience has been that these type of flat boxes attract less shipping damage.

Edited by lizards2

Just now, lizards2 said:

Again, those are great, but they need to be quite a bit oversize of what you are mailing, and they require 3-4 good stiff pieces of interior cardboard.

The beauty of these is that for one or two books, you can ship cheaper at a first class postage rate.

It's a good extra to your shipping arsenal, along with medium flat rate boxes and Regional Rate A boxes.

Exactly, I think three SA books with strategically applied tape keeps it under 16 oz.

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Exactly, I think three SA books with strategically applied tape keeps it under 16 oz.

Yeah, but how many cans of beer can you fit in?

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Its also crucial to tape them to the inside of the mailer (this goes without saying but I've had them sent to me without)…

I'm convinced you can't really be a good packager until you've received tons of stuff in the mail, to see what works, and what doesn't.

And, I guess, nothing is foolproof...., especially when dealing with fools.

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth... that mailer would be great if it's going Priority Mail, as you can fit it into their legal envelope.

And I use Priority Mail for items costing more than $50, because of the insurance option, so I might have to consider it going forward for that..

For 1-4 comics, not insured, after trying a few different things, I use these:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-2220/Stay-Flat-Mailers/Tab-Locking-Kraft-StayFlats-5-9-3-4-x-12-1-4

About 40 cents a pop... can hold up to 4 comics staying under a pound, so you can use First Class Mail.

I wrap the books in bubble wrap and then insert into the mailer. That way, they don't need to be taped down, as the bubble wrap holds them secure. (I tape the ends of the wrap)

Have gotten only positive feedback from buyers. FYI... YMMV.

21 minutes ago, KolmarAvenue said:

I've been using these lately and haven't had any issues (fingers crossed): https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-165/Easy-Fold-Mailers/11-1-8-x-8-5-8-Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

Yes,those are the S-165s I linked to earlier, which I used about 15 years ago.

If anyone has used the S-165s and the genesis mailer, do you have a preference? Which one is superior? Is the genesis mailer a lighter weight cardboard? The difference in cost is about 20 cents each, nothing big.

I've used these Gemini mailers and haven't had any issues. I always secure the comics (4 or less preferably so I can ship First Class - less than $5) inside a magazine sized comic bag with backing boards to keep them tight together and then use packing tape to secure the bundle to the interior insert of the mailer so it can't shift inside the package. Once these mailers are wrapped up with lots of packing tape they're plenty stiff.

Having also received these mailers, however, they are only good if the sender has secured the comic to keep it from bouncing around inside. If not, sticking the mailer inside a flat-rate envelope or box isn't going to make any difference - the comic will arrive damaged.

ASM2.jpg.db55f3658a6512d416866d77b407f396.jpg