• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone used these mailers?

29 posts in this topic

All of this is good information.  I have these "Gemini" type mailers and when I sell any raw books, I'll see how they are.  I will make sure the comics will not shift during transport.
Nice to know about the Uline S-165's as well.  I have some white mailers that are very sturdy too.  I don't know what the identifier is though. 

As others have stated, you must tape the comic down to the Gemini mailer to make sure it doesn't shift around. I wrap the comic in Saran Wrap first, and then apply the tape to the Saran Wrap. If you tape down to the comic bag directly, the bag can tear/split during shipment and the tape can ruin the comic.

Adding my voice to the chorus, I have used the Gemini mailers for years (although I think they used to be called something else?) and have always had good results. I also get the pre-cut cardboard pads from them, because I am tired of cutting up cardboard. It's worth the extra to me to have it pre-cut. So, yeah, this mailer and two or three pieces of cardboard works great for cheap books. For nicer books, this mailer works great in a legal flat rate envelope. Of course, the REALLY nice stuff gets double boxed priority. But yeah, for your every day cheap books, these things are great. I've had zero complaints/returns on books I've shipped with them, and I've shipped thousands at this point.

PS: i usually order straight from Gemini, but if eBay has a coupon going, that is often the best deal. So I usually order supplies when those coupons are in effect.

Edited by F For Fake

51 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Adding my voice to the chorus, I have used the Gemini mailers for years (although I think they used to be called something else?) and have always had good results. I also get the pre-cut cardboard pads from them, because I am tired of cutting up cardboard. It's worth the extra to me to have it pre-cut. So, yeah, this mailer and two or three pieces of cardboard works great for cheap books. For nicer books, this mailer works great in a legal flat rate envelope. Of course, the REALLY nice stuff gets double boxed priority. But yeah, for your every day cheap books, these things are great. I've had zero complaints/returns on books I've shipped with them, and I've shipped thousands at this point.

PS: i usually order straight from Gemini, but if eBay has a coupon going, that is often the best deal. So I usually order supplies when those coupons are in effect.

The pads work out to almost 15 cents each if I order 400 to correspond with 200 mailers, adding a minimum of 30 cents each to every delivery on top of the costs of the mailers (which are pretty reasonable, actually). Maybe I can trust my 13 year old with a box cutter and pay him 5 cents for each one he cuts properly? But yes, other than misplacing comics, no having enough cardboard backing around and needing to cut more up (and running out of boxes to cut up) is my #1 cause for delay in shipping. On the other hand, I take it they are cut perfectly for these mailers, so that has some value. 2 for a sandwhich is good enough?

1 hour ago, the blob said:

The pads work out to almost 15 cents each if I order 400 to correspond with 200 mailers, adding a minimum of 30 cents each to every delivery on top of the costs of the mailers (which are pretty reasonable, actually). Maybe I can trust my 13 year old with a box cutter and pay him 5 cents for each one he cuts properly? But yes, other than misplacing comics, no having enough cardboard backing around and needing to cut more up (and running out of boxes to cut up) is my #1 cause for delay in shipping. On the other hand, I take it they are cut perfectly for these mailers, so that has some value. 2 for a sandwhich is good enough?

Drafting your kiddo into cutting cardboard for ya may be a more cost effective solution, but otherwise I think the pre-cut pads are a winner. Since we have no children to draft into the home work force (only lazy, shiftless, no good cats) I started buying the pre-cut boards a year or two ago, and have never looked back. Cutting cardboard was always my least favorite part of shipping, so it's well worth the 30 cents per package for me to not have to worry about it. With the pre-cut boards and flash mailers, I can have a book packed up in seconds. It's great! 

And yeah, for the types of books I usually sell ($5-$25 range, generally) I bag and board the book, wrap THAT up in a magazine bag (in case the package should encounter rain or moisture during its travels) and then tape it into a sandwich with two of those boards. I have used three or four boards on pricier books just "to be sure", but honestly, two pads plus the mag bag and regular bag and board, wrapped up in the mailer, is a pretty secure package! And for priority shipping, it fits PERFECTLY into a legal flat rate mailer. It's great.

17 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Drafting your kiddo into cutting cardboard for ya may be a more cost effective solution, but otherwise I think the pre-cut pads are a winner. Since we have no children to draft into the home work force (only lazy, shiftless, no good cats) I started buying the pre-cut boards a year or two ago, and have never looked back. Cutting cardboard was always my least favorite part of shipping, so it's well worth the 30 cents per package for me to not have to worry about it. With the pre-cut boards and flash mailers, I can have a book packed up in seconds. It's great! 

And yeah, for the types of books I usually sell ($5-$25 range, generally) I bag and board the book, wrap THAT up in a magazine bag (in case the package should encounter rain or moisture during its travels) and then tape it into a sandwich with two of those boards. I have used three or four boards on pricier books just "to be sure", but honestly, two pads plus the mag bag and regular bag and board, wrapped up in the mailer, is a pretty secure package! And for priority shipping, it fits PERFECTLY into a legal flat rate mailer. It's great.

I wrap the taped sandwich with saran wrap. Creates a nice brick. And cheap.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

I wrap the taped sandwich with saran wrap. Creates a nice brick. And cheap.

That's a good idea too. I have a giant roll of that packing wrap, which is essentially saran wrap, I use it when I'm bundling up trades and hardcovers. The long, heavy roll also doubles as a surprisingly effective cudgel. 

50 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

It's a great idea until the klutz slices his hand open and I have a $400 E.R. bill. Maybe I should just buy them and do some supplemental cutting on my own when I have some prime cardboard at home.

I guess my final concern is that at 7 X 11 the boards they sell seem to small for some GA books. Not that I sell that many GA books. But their price is competitive (and better) on boards than most other places. Weird how I can buy acid free buffered magazine boards for $10 (10 cents each), albeit thinner, but these cost more.

Edited by the blob